Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Re-post, deleted this thinking I'd posted it into the wrong thread:

The deft tap from Chol to Watson for his first goal was brilliant.

Dear and Chol have both been so clever and team oriented this season with their taps and palm downs.
The taps was such an underrated part of our threepeat side. Sam, Cyril, Roughy, Puopolo, Hale were among the best at it. I have no doubt Sam is teaching it. Doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but bloody effective

The taps was such an underrated part of our threepeat side. Sam, Cyril, Roughy, Puopolo, Hale were among the best at it. I have no doubt Sam is teaching it. Doesn’t show up on the stat sheet but bloody effective

I remember Roughead poker face to a reporter asking him about our tap ons back in the day, and him saying "It's not something we really practice at training or anything, just sort of happens and we don't plan for it". But then after we win one of our threepete grand finals, the footage eventually comes out of half time Clarkson pep talk saying, "Keep tapping the ball on, free us up. It is ****ing vital for the way we play'. Sure Roughy....sure...

Last edited:

Absolutely he is.

I remember Mitchell talking about the rolling scrum in the 2013 GF recall - and he pointed out how even without gaining possession we had moved the ball 40m or so. It was clearly a team focus then, and he is making it one now.

It makes sense to do it now with how hot the umpires are with HTB calls too.

Don't wanna talk about North too much, but mid game I mentioned how Xerri has good individual games but not good team games. Reckon it happened again. In no world should he be chasing clearances to the point of getting 13, that's what you've got midfielders for. Simpkin, LDU and Wardlaw are genuinely good players - get the ball to em.

Don't wanna talk about North too much, but mid game I mentioned how Xerri has good individual games but not good team games. Reckon it happened again. In no world should he be chasing clearances to the point of getting 13, that's what you've got midfielders for. Simpkin, LDU and Wardlaw are genuinely good players - get the ball to em.

I'm just glad we survived without any real injuries given how many cheap shots he was giving out.

Last edited:
Spare a thought for this deadshit who was in our autopsy threads lurk lolling posts prior to Round 6, who’s now contemplating handing over his account, should we get just 1 more win for 2024.

View attachment 2089815

As I’ve said before - you just know that guy looks exactly like his avatar.

Looking forward to the reading through all the posts, thought I would post before the read.

Wow we are fun to watch, 170 in those conditions - insane

Winners on every line, such a massive team effort. Not relying on 1 or 2 individuals to get the win. Having said that Mass, Duke & Moore were standouts. Thought Meek was great, only played 50 games looking forward to what he is producing at 100 games.

Special mention to Frosty, smacked Larkey… Been mentioned he won’t get a game once Battle & Barrass arrive, there is a spot there for him. Should finish top 10 in the PC.

Was nervous at the game the weather could have made it closer than it should be but we put the game away by the 10 minute mark of the 2nd - Rebuilt F50 having 40 shots on goal 😎

Norf negative tactics were odd, a lot of tagging going on. Really not seeing a game plan

Clarko slip up the presser was about right, they are awful.

Have to beat the best to win, beat Dogs and it opens right up.

Go Hawks

Watched Clarko's press conference and he was very complimentary of our development and equally impressed by the way we go about it. Mentioned us and the Dogs as the two best teams in it.
Yes he was but claimed it’s on the back of having 5 years of development into Newcombe, Day and Nash which was on the scrap him under his guidance. He should’ve just stated the Hawks are flying and stopping at that.

Love this!

I love Shiels. I was one who felt we erred not making him captain when we appointed Stratton. I have a huge amount of respect for him, absolute warrior, tough as nails, and did a variety of roles for us that were huge for the team but not necessarily recognised externally.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

6 of them were from free kicks to be fair

Thought Finn was good today.

Offers a lot of run and physicality. No major howlers disposal wise but still a weakness.

If he can clean that up he will be a player.
Just needs more games with the core players and he'll slot in

Gee those 17 seconds from the Port game have cost us in a way I never thought they would.
If we don’t lose that game I doubt we are playing finals. What was impressive today and reminded me of the threepeat era was the use of the deft touch and knock ons. It didn’t even get mentioned but Chols stop of the ball and directing it to Watson for his first goal was sublime. Dear’s punch on the wing and many others it was very much team first football. Whatever happens from here is a bonus - this year is a total success in both development and performance and makes us a destination club again to attract the missing pieces. And nice to send the shinbeggars out to shinbeg again with an absolute demolition job!!! Go Hawks❤️

Ruthless, Efficient, Brilliant

The turnaround of this club, in the course of a season is nothing short of astonishing. Its been led by the players and supported by wonderful coaching.

Its already one of the great seasons and when you've supported this club for 40 years thats saying something

Ever up and onward

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 24: Hawks cull the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Back