The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've just started reading Intractable by Bernie Matthews. It's the story of the author's times inside the NSW prison system, particularly Katingal. Interesting so far, and a pretty easy read.

I hope they serve beer in hell. by Max tucker

an interesting and light read
You mean Tucker Max ;)

Now I've started Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer.
I really liked that book. Not loved, but really liked! I hope you enjoy it, I found it a bit hard to get into at first, but after the first few chapters I couldn't put it down.

I'm reading 'Forgiveness and Other Acts of Love' by Stephanie Dowrick. I need a little bit of soul nourishment at the moment :eek:

I`m currently reading Billy Thorpe`s Sex Thugs and Rock n roll and it is absolutely shithouse.

I read his first book(cant remember the title, may even have been the one you just read) while I was in hospital with a broken leg in 1899. I liked it, but I was alot younger, clearly.

Just finished 'The Greenlander' by Mark Adlard written about 30 years ago about the perils of whale fishing in the Arctic in the 1800s, as engines started to become a reality.

Whilst not bound by the book, the thought of what men and women must've done to survive in harsher times really ****s with my head.

Cant help but imagine we will be back there one day too.... Harsher, nastier, perhaps nuclear times.

Friend finally convinced me to read Les Mis. I usually don't have probems with lengthy tomes of heavy prose, but I'm having trouble getting into it when I know the plot so well.

I'm reading that at the moment and have about 200 pages until the end.

I don't know what to make of it yet.

Re: The "What are you reading now" thread

i am near completion of John Grisham's "The Innocent MAn". It is a good book that reveals many flaws and injustices in the American Law System. It also have the photographs of all the major characters that helps us know them better. Though good, it is not a must read. John has written other great books. My favorite author though is Danielle Steel.

Non fiction
Jared Diamond - Collapse, How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed

Fiction
Phillip K Dick - A Scanner Darkly

A Scanner Darkly is a great book, the film is pretty good too.

Phillip K Dick is one of my favourite authers. I'm reading one of his at the moment, The Simulacra, which is pretty good but Scanner is one of his best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Phillip K Dick is one of my favourite authers. I'm reading one of his at the moment, The Simulacra, which is pretty good but Scanner is one of his best.

I read "The man in the high castle" a few years back, really liked it, apart from the increased mysticism towards the end (I Ching etc).

Just finished the book and will download the movie tonight. I enjoyed it enough to want to check out more of Dick's work later on. That will have to wait for a little while though, have just started Cormac McCarthy's The Road.

Nice, a book board. Didn't notice there was one until just now.

To answer the thread: The Brothers Karamazov - Dostoevsky.

I really liked that book. Not loved, but really liked! I hope you enjoy it, I found it a bit hard to get into at first, but after the first few chapters I couldn't put it down.

Well I had to put down Everything Is Illuminated before I went to Europe, because it just didn't grab me enough to take on the plane. You're right, it's hard to get into. Might try again in a few weeks. I took War and Peace to Europe, thinking oh yeah lots of time on planes/buses/trains would be perfect, but who was I kidding? I just slept and only read three chapters.

Taking a break from fiction at the moment, then. I read "Why People Believe Weird Things" by Michael Shermer, and now reading "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson.

I really enjoyed it. I love how he made that singular theme work in so many different ways. I think what he was trying to say is that violence begets simply more violence and that it is an inescapable cycle, as we see in so many different ways with Solanka. God, he uses brilliant language, some sentences made me go wow... What did you think about it?

Am now reading Midnight's Children..
Ooooh Midnight's Children is a really eye opening book. Once i read it i found all other books quite lacking in creativity. Salman Rushdie should really be applauded for penning down such a historic book. I was so impressed by the content that i went ahead and read another book "Fury" written by him. BBut, it was a drag in comparison and i left it mid way.

Ooooh Midnight's Children is a really eye opening book. Once i read it i found all other books quite lacking in creativity. Salman Rushdie should really be applauded for penning down such a historic book. I was so impressed by the content that i went ahead and read another book "Fury" written by him. BBut, it was a drag in comparison and i left it mid way.

You should have kept going with 'Fury.' The ending was brilliant.

Am currently reading Midnight's Children. It certainly is a detailed and creative book. I must say I am trudging through at the moment, doesn't seem like the sort of book you can just smash through.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back