The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just recently finished Walt Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass'. The original edition. Absolutely beautiful. One of my favourite pieces of literature.

Just started Ovid's 'Metamorphoses' today, and quite enjoying it so far.

Just recently finished Walt Whitman's 'Leaves of Grass'. The original edition. Absolutely beautiful. One of my favourite pieces of literature.
Walt Whitman is ferkin awesome man. :thumbsu:

If you liked him you would love Henry David Thoreau's 'Walden'

Walt Whitman is ferkin awesome man. :thumbsu:

If you liked him you would love Henry David Thoreau's 'Walden'

It really was a wonderful reading experience, now I just have to get my hands on his complete poems.

As for Walden, by sheer luck, when my Dad bought me a kindle, a friend of his put a whole bunch of books on there and 'Walden' happened to be one. I've been interested in Thoreau for a while, so I'll eventually get around to reading it for sure.

One Minute to Midnight; a huge and meticulously researched tome on the Cuban Missile Crisis.

It tells the story in chronological sequences, with times and dates for each section, which makes for a terrific narrative flow.

Much of the research comes from primary sources (original notes and transcripts) and there's page after page of footnotes.

It's a fascinating story, brilliantly told.

Just finished The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. Best book I have read for a very long time. One of those books you want to re-read almost immediately. Need some time to digest it, but would definitely guess it'll be in my top 5 of all time. It just has so much to say about life, youth, art, love and, well, everything. The multiple narratives are handled incredibly skillfully and the whole thing comes together, but not neatly, rather messily like life itself is.

Anyway I didn't re-read it immediately and now I'm reading Apples are from Kazakhstan by Christopher Robbins, itself an excellent travel narrative.

Just finished The Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano. Best book I have read for a very long time. One of those books you want to re-read almost immediately. Need some time to digest it, but would definitely guess it'll be in my top 5 of all time. It just has so much to say about life, youth, art, love and, well, everything. The multiple narratives are handled incredibly skillfully and the whole thing comes together, but not neatly, rather messily like life itself is.

If you liked The Savage Detectives, I'd strongly recommend you read his 2666 if you haven't already. A terrific book.

Definitely been iffy on hitting up some Bolano. The names always floating around but for some reason I never actually read any of his books, despite the reccomendation for 2666.

The guys a bit of a douche by the sounds of it :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 100 pages out of finishing Bill Simmons "The Book of Basketball", i'm usually allergic to sports books but this is a fantastic read.

The Tall Man - Chloe Hooper. **** it's grim up north

Read her articles at the time of the first inquest. Those coppers sound dodgy as **** - makes you wonder what's changed since the 80s up there. I see the Police Commissioner has just recently rejected all advice to the contrary and decided against disciplinary action, opting for "managerial guidance" instead.

As is often the case, the grimmer life is the less justice you can expect.

Read her articles at the time of the first inquest. Those coppers sound dodgy as **** - makes you wonder what's changed since the 80s up there. I see the Police Commissioner has just recently rejected all advice to the contrary and decided against disciplinary action, opting for "managerial guidance" instead.

As is often the case, the grimmer life is the less justice you can expect.

Very ugly indeed. A sad tale

Currently reading Peter Lalor's book "Barassi". Good book for people who want to start learning about previous eras of football.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2nd "What are you reading now" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back