Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Good episode but way too short and just when it felt like we were about to get some narrative development, the thing ended.

Also its only taken 5 episodes but Osha is finally having the basic resemblance of a character.
It was 40 minutes to be fair. Just felt short because a lot of good stuff happened.

Hard disagree.

I mean we like to forget about the Star Wars Holiday Special, but in terms of main line stuff that line in the opening crawl already put me on the back foot when it came to Episode IX. Felt like a cheap plot point, and one they didn't even bother exploring in any depth during the movie. It also meant that the plot line of Rey coming from nothing meant - well - nothing.

Anyway, I am hopeful the last two episodes of The Acolyte make it a solid (if unspectacular) contribution to the Star Wars universe. Not the best, for sure, but hey it's watchable and an interesting plot with a couple of good characters (Qimir and Sol).

Excellent episode. Getting deep into the Force now and who has the right to wield it. A lot of similarities to The Last Jedi which is obviously intentional. The conversations and moments between Osha and Qimir have a lot in common between those of Rey and Kylo and Rey and Luke. Surely that’s Ach-To as well.

Some really great characters in this series. Qimir and Sol of course, but I have also been surprised by how much I’m into Vernestra’s story, considering how little screen time she’s had. Fantastic performance from the actor with some great lines. Loved how she quibbled with the Padawan about hyperspace travel being unsettling.

Am intrigued by her “Something to tip the scales” comment. To me it’s an obvious reference to the Chosen One prophecy. Is someone deliberately trying to “tip the scales” to cause the Force to “bring balance”? Vernestra knows something. Is it Qimir or is it his Master?

What’s going on with Sol. Seems to have turned down a darker path since Khofar. Again, another great performance. The scene where he’s looking at the ships diagnostics and he just stops and it all just hits him. Brilliant facial acting. You can see everything he’s feeling all at once. What is it that made him realise it was Mae? The ship’s engines coming back online seemed to confirm who she was to him … ??

Think it's Bal'demnic. Outer rim planet, vast oceans, cortosis.
If it is this planet then it's a bit of a cop out move to depict it as looking exactly like Ach-To and to give it the "Unknown Planet" tag to get people speculating.

Not saying you're wrong though but it would be kind of a dog act

Excellent episode. Getting deep into the Force now and who has the right to wield it. A lot of similarities to The Last Jedi which is obviously intentional. The conversations and moments between Osha and Qimir have a lot in common between those of Rey and Kylo and Rey and Luke. Surely that’s Ach-To as well.

Some really great characters in this series. Qimir and Sol of course, but I have also been surprised by how much I’m into Vernestra’s story, considering how little screen time she’s had. Fantastic performance from the actor with some great lines. Loved how she quibbled with the Padawan about hyperspace travel being unsettling.

Am intrigued by her “Something to tip the scales” comment. To me it’s an obvious reference to the Chosen One prophecy. Is someone deliberately trying to “tip the scales” to cause the Force to “bring balance”? Vernestra knows something. Is it Qimir or is it his Master?

What’s going on with Sol. Seems to have turned down a darker path since Khofar. Again, another great performance. The scene where he’s looking at the ships diagnostics and he just stops and it all just hits him. Brilliant facial acting. You can see everything he’s feeling all at once. What is it that made him realise it was Mae? The ship’s engines coming back online seemed to confirm who she was to him … ??

This is a direct reference to THR books, where she gets visions while travelling through Hyperspace, so I'm getting more curious as to whether her character was built for this show and planted into the books, or the other way around, because if the latter, props to the show for going for such a deep cut from the books.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If it is this planet then it's a bit of a cop out move to depict it as looking exactly like Ach-To and to give it the "Unknown Planet" tag to get people speculating.

Not saying you're wrong though but it would be kind of a dog act

It’s interesting. They’re intentionally trying to reference TLJ in this episode. Even down to the weird little creatures on the beach that remind me of ports but look nothing like them. The show is king of saying it’s not Ach-To but it’s right that you think it could be.

This is a direct reference to THR books, where she gets visions while travelling through Hyperspace, so I'm getting more curious as to whether her character was built for this show and planted into the books, or the other way around, because if the latter, props to the show for going for such a deep cut from the books.

Nice.

It’s interesting. They’re intentionally trying to reference TLJ in this episode. Even down to the weird little creatures on the beach that remind me of ports but look nothing like them. The show is king of saying it’s not Ach-To but it’s right that you think it could be.

I didn’t think they resembled porgs. More so little versions of the creatures that Luke milked for some green goodness.

I mean we like to forget about the Star Wars Holiday Special, but in terms of main line stuff that line in the opening crawl already put me on the back foot when it came to Episode IX. Felt like a cheap plot point, and one they didn't even bother exploring in any depth during the movie. It also meant that the plot line of Rey coming from nothing meant - well - nothing.

Anyway, I am hopeful the last two episodes of The Acolyte make it a solid (if unspectacular) contribution to the Star Wars universe. Not the best, for sure, but hey it's watchable and an interesting plot with a couple of good characters (Qimir and Sol).

Lol. The Holiday Special is pretty much unwatchable. I’ve tried on multiple occasions and still have never finished it.

I agree that the Palpatine reveal wasn’t handled the best, but for me, him finding a way to cheat death makes a lot of sense and is absolutely in line with his character.

Much prefer the “it was Sideous all along” plot point than the prophecy nonsense introduced in the prequels.

I didn’t think they resembled porgs. More so little versions of the creatures that Luke milked for some green goodness.

I don’t mean they look like Porgs but they have the same kind of mannerisms: Nurturing, playful, peaceful. I think you’re right that they have similar features to those other creatures too (Thalo-Sirens??). It’s all deliberately intended to reference those animals while obviously not being them. It’s kind of playing with the whole Yin-Yang, balance, dyad theme that’s heavy in this show and episode in particular. Perhaps this planet is a balance to Ach-To.

The only character remotely interesting is Qmir at this point. The story should have just been about him. The rest are more vanilla than Vanilla Ice. He is holding the show together.

Good episode but way too short and just when it felt like we were about to get some narrative development, the thing ended.

Also its only taken 5 episodes but Osha is finally having the basic resemblance of a character.

I feel this series would’ve benefitted from say having 4-5 episodes of 50-60 minute length. Rather than the 28-30 minutes (once you remove end credits and recaps etc) split over 8 weeks.

I really enjoyed the Qmir and Osha stuff this episode. However back on the ship, I really could’ve done away completely with the Mae switcharoo stuff and just got into the belated conversation with Sol. And right when it finally got to it, the episode is done haha.

I don’t mean they look like Porgs but they have the same kind of mannerisms: Nurturing, playful, peaceful. I think you’re right that they have similar features to those other creatures too (Thalo-Sirens??). It’s all deliberately intended to reference those animals while obviously not being them. It’s kind of playing with the whole Yin-Yang, balance, dyad theme that’s heavy in this show and episode in particular. Perhaps this planet is a balance to Ach-To.

Yep it makes sense if it’s that other planet that is being described especially with the links to Plageuis and cortosis etc. I remember Rogue One where every planet they labelled, except for Mustafar. To leave it to the audience to click. So for whatever reason I thought they’re doing similar here by deliberately not identifying the planet.

I saw a very interesting thing today, a clip from some industry podcast speaking about how streaming platforms give notes to TV show producers that their content isn't "second screen" enough, i.e that it's too complicated for a person to follow while simultaneously scrolling on your phone. Which is astonishing to me, but I guess not unexpected in this day and age. DO we think that could be a Disney Star Wars problem, that they're intentionally not making things complicated / engaging because its designed to be "second screenable".

What else is the expectation for such poorly thought out narrative jumps like:
  • the Jedi team needing a tracker and a days march to find the Wookie Jedi's camp to Green head and her team just wandering in there with no issue;
  • the communications system on Sol's ship stopping for... literally no reason other than plot convenience?

Do we think the show runners are just talentless or are they saying... we don't need to put in any explanation for this because people aren't watching it properly anyway?

Why do you think she’s awful?

I’m really interested in the character and her motivations and a lot of that is due to her performance.
I just don't enjoy her performance at all. I have a suspicion as others have mentioned that she is the central flaw of the Jedi in this show, i.e that she has caused the Qmir injury, potentially somehow related to the fire / witches and that she is effectively covering her same tracks. So in that sense, she should in my opinion portray a sense of suspicion, menace or control - whereas I don't get that from her. I get a sense of arrogance and a general unlikability, but it's cut with this level of incompetence and and unlikability that I can only assume is coming from her performance because it just wouldn't make sense for your fox in the henhouse character to be incompetent and unlikeable at this stage of the story before we've seen that reveal.

I saw a very interesting thing today, a clip from some industry podcast speaking about how streaming platforms give notes to TV show producers that their content isn't "second screen" enough, i.e that it's too complicated for a person to follow while simultaneously scrolling on your phone. Which is astonishing to me, but I guess not unexpected in this day and age. DO we think that could be a Disney Star Wars problem, that they're intentionally not making things complicated / engaging because its designed to be "second screenable".

What else is the expectation for such poorly thought out narrative jumps like:
  • the Jedi team needing a tracker and a days march to find the Wookie Jedi's camp to Green head and her team just wandering in there with no issue;
  • the communications system on Sol's ship stopping for... literally no reason other than plot convenience?

Do we think the show runners are just talentless or are they saying... we don't need to put in any explanation for this because people aren't watching it properly anyway?
I have no problem believing that's a thing.

Hell I'm currently watching Stranger Things like that haha.

Don't do it with every show but ones that I feel drag at any point, inevitably I'm checking messages etc.

I have no problem believing that's a thing.

Hell I'm currently watching Stranger Things like that haha.

Don't do it with every show but ones that I feel drag at any point, inevitably I'm checking messages etc.
I get it for your non name shows, but I would hope something like Star Wars aspires to be better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back