Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

You're the one making the insinuation because you didn't enjoy it.

Honestly man, for the third time just move on.
"Just move on" says the bloke who has to keep having the last word.

Even last night after you've been proven wrong for everyone to see you still have to have your last little dig because you can't move on.

Take your own advice for once.

Also, obviously the end left it open for another series, and usually you might think, damn, cant wait to see what happens...

Bored Meh GIF

There is an interesting story to tell in that gap between The Acolyte and prequel era - the rise of Darth Plagueis, the history of Yoda, the slow downfall of the Jedi etc.

But not holding out hope it will be told properly. Feels like Star Wars Disney needs a rethink a la Andor - explore more adult genres, tone down the fan service, focus on telling a good story instead of shoehorning references to the EU etc. As it stands, think most would agree (review bombers and sycophants aside, on the opposite extreme ends of the spectrum) that The Acolyte had some interesting ideas but it was just overall poorly written and not very memorable at all. I did not become attached at all to the twin leads, and preferred more exploration of Qimir and Sol.

I forgot the bit where Basil decided to just sabotage Sol's ship... for reasons? And then he just left him on the ship after landing. But then didnt he help the Jedi then track the twins... Wtf was going on there?

Overheard the confession from Sol, and thought he was going to shoot down Mae. But overall still loyal to the Jedi and Sol, just didn't want her to die.

Thought it was made clear when there was a scene with Sol almost about to press what looks like a fire button on the joystick when pursuing Mae and he got a target lock.

There is an interesting story to tell in that gap between The Acolyte and prequel era - the rise of Darth Plagueis, the history of Yoda, the slow downfall of the Jedi etc.

But not holding out hope it will be told properly. Feels like Star Wars Disney needs a rethink a la Andor - explore more adult genres, tone down the fan service, focus on telling a good story instead of shoehorning references to the EU etc. As it stands, think most would agree (review bombers and sycophants aside, on the opposite extreme ends of the spectrum) that The Acolyte had some interesting ideas but it was just overall poorly written and not very memorable at all. I did not become attached at all to the twin leads, and preferred more exploration of Qimir and Sol.
That’s the kind of thing I want to see done properly and on the big screen.

That’s the kind of thing I want to see done properly and on the big screen.

Rogue One comes to mind. Yes, still fan service with Vader and Leia at the end, but it was done properly.

The failure of Solo though meant we may never see it again.

Why would they lie about enjoying it?

My question exactly?!

Some people just can’t fathom that others can enjoy things they don’t.

So much healthier to continuously watch a show you clearly have a distaste for simply because you’re annoyed and frustrated and can mutter about how much better Star Wars was when you were young and impressionable.

But not holding out hope it will be told properly. Feels like Star Wars Disney needs a rethink a la Andor - explore more adult genres, tone down the fan service, focus on telling a good story instead of shoehorning references to the EU etc.

To a degree yes, but you’ve got to remember, at its roots Star Wars was made for preteen kids. I think Andor is great but it’s an outlier. It’s an expansion on the core ideas to engage with an audience who’ve grown up.

My son, for example, is a huge Star Wars fan. Loves all the movies. He was 10 when Andor was released. He never even finished the first arc of it. It was too dour and “talky” for him. I still can’t get him to watch it.

Meanwhile, Ahsoka, Obi-Wan Kenobi and The Mandalorian are his favourite shows.

As it stands, think most would agree (review bombers and sycophants aside, on the opposite extreme ends of the spectrum) that The Acolyte had some interesting ideas but it was just overall poorly written and not very memorable at all. I did not become attached at all to the twin leads, and preferred more exploration of Qimir and Sol.

It’s funny but this last episode actually helped me connect with the twins plight a lot more. But I agree, Qimir and Sol were stand out characters and I really hope we get to see where Qimir story goes. More than anything, though, it’s the themes and the underlying story that I find really compelling about this series. Things that the prequels and the sequels allude to, this show digs deeper and presents a more nuanced take on the core “good vs evil” trope.

"Just move on" says the bloke who has to keep having the last word.

Even last night after you've been proven wrong for everyone to see you still have to have your last little dig because you can't move on.

Take your own advice for once.
I mean leave the thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I honestly think Disney just want to capitalise on Star Wars discourse now.

This show is an absolute dumpster fire. But it’s so bad now, that it’s talked about more than Mando, Ashoka, or even obi-wan.

I can’t even complain, I still watched every week…

I think it might be lost on a lot of the haters that these are primarily aimed at kids.

For sure, but there is plenty of room for adult-oriented stuff like Andor.

I think a departure from the norm (action-adventury sci-fi) can work because it's not like the arrival of a new Star Wars series requires the deletion of an existing one.

I honestly think Disney just want to capitalise on Star Wars discourse now.

This show is an absolute dumpster fire. But it’s so bad now, that it’s talked about more than Mando, Ashoka, or even obi-wan.

It was such a dumpster fire of a show that dozens of Youtubers capitalised with their criticism that was so easy to point out the poor direction, writing and acting.

I don't buy the excuse 'it was just for kids'. It wasn't. People defending the show here are not pre-teens.

It was such a dumpster fire of a show that dozens of Youtubers capitalised with their criticism that was so easy to point out the poor direction, writing and acting.

I don't buy the excuse 'it was just for kids'. It wasn't. People defending the show here are not pre-teens.

No one’s saying this show is made for kids. I’d be shocked if anyone did.

YouTubers capitalising on Star Wars negativity you say?

What’s next: the sun rising in the east?

No one’s saying this show is made for kids. I’d be shocked if anyone did.

YouTubers capitalising on Star Wars negativity you say?

What’s next: the sun rising in the east?
I love the criticism that Youtubers are the ones capitalising.

If anything, I'm starting to think Disney may be the ones capitalising on Star Wars negativity. There's no way any intelligent person could have put that series out into the world unless they were trying to capitalise of Star Wars fans hate-watching as they further and further drive Star Wars' legacy into the mud.

If anything, I'm starting to think Disney may be the ones capitalising on Star Wars negativity. There's no way any intelligent person could have put that series out into the world unless they were trying to capitalise of Star Wars fans hate-watching as they further and further drive Star Wars' legacy into the mud.
What a sad view. Go watch something you enjoy then.

Are you ****ing serious?

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back