Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

What's that, you don't like the Heeney suspension?

Just move on, find something else other than the AFL.
Yes, it is not a like for like comparison. You're making my point for me.

I think it's weird to tell people that if they don't like something about something they enjoy that they should just stop engaging with it.

Like I said weeks ago, weird mentality on a football forum.
That they should stop engaging on this specific show ffs not Star wars as a concept. I made that explicitly clear with my example of the kids show I've never watched.

Is this other Star Wars content like the animated stuff or something unrelated?
Unrelated to what? But the animated stuff is a good example. Plenty don't enjoy it so they don't watch it. They don't watch it and just continuously complain about it. That's not the same thing as saying you're not allowed to watch Star Wars unless you like all of it.

It's also not anologous to not supporting your football team because a player got suspended.

In part this weird mentality of seeing franchises as like sports teams is part of why everyone ends up in dc v marvel frenzies. They see it as something that's part of their identity and not as a media product.

Thinking about it more I can identify some of the same behaviour in how I approach THR books. I don't particularly enjoy the adult books but have committed so am seeing them through to the end. I complained that I wasn't enjoying them and someone suggested I just not read them. While I'm pushing through to see where the story goes, I can also acknowledge that just repeatedly complaining that I'm not enjoying them doesn't help me or the people who do enjoy them and want to discuss them. The YA books are much more enjoyable though.

Last edited:
Unrelated to what? But the animated stuff is a good example. Plenty don't enjoy it so they don't watch it. They don't watch it and just continuously complain about it. That's not the same thing as saying you're not allowed to watch Star Wars unless you like all of it.

It's also not anologous to not supporting your football team because a player got suspended.

In part this weird mentality of seeing franchises as like sports teams is part of why everyone ends up in dc v marvel frenzies. They see it as something that's part of their identity and not as a media product.

Thinking about it more I can identify some of the same behaviour in how I approach THR books. I don't particularly enjoy the adult books but have committed so am seeing them through to the end. I complained that I wasn't enjoying them and someone suggested I just not read them. While I'm pushing through to see where the story goes, I can also acknowledge that just repeatedly complaining that I'm not enjoying them doesn't help me or the people who do enjoy them and want to discuss them. The YA books are much more enjoyable though.
What is the kid show you were referencing?

The problem with Disney Star Wars is, apart from a couple of efforts -- Andor, Rogue One) it just doesn't take itself seriously enough.

When I watch shows like Billy the Kid, or any really good TV show of the past like Black Sails, Rome, Vikings, Spartacus, etc etc, even mediocre shows like Dark Matter etc....they just take their own material/story seriously.

It means good episodes, good character development, good cinematography, good writing and dialogue, and they're usually gripping and intriguing.

Disney Star Wars doesn't have to be full on adult. Just take itself seriously. Andor was great, tho you could also say a little too much slow moving and lacking enough action. But it took itself seriously at least.

They probably already have made up their own mind considering the content they are watching.

People may feel they the review and articles lauding a show that they are not enjoying are a form of gaslighting. They may seek other opinions to counter this.

From the little I know of the content creators mentioned in this thread they don't really seem the basement-dwelling type.

By the same logic people should just not consume any kind of review media. That would probably be for the best, then Disney and like would be held truly accountable for the content they produce by being judged and rewarded on how well it is received.

Or … and hear me out here … just don’t watch it if you don’t like it.

Simple!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bit of this reminds me of Mark Ricciuto telling Adelaide fans to support another team if they aren't happy - not much context to be added there.

People in here clearly love or enjoy Star Wars, that's why they are here, and why they keep watching and talking about it.

And when it sucks, it's annoying, because they want it to be better, and know it can be so much better. Which leads to immense frustration expressed via an online forum.

It doesn't mean that they should just 'watch something else' (support another team). They want it to come good, will keep persisting in the hope it does, but be vocal when it is a let down.

I would suggest the number of people that actively hate Star Wars and just come in here to bitch and moan are the tiniest percentage that it isn't even relevant to any discussion.

It’s different in footy. Everyone has the same goal. Win the ****ing game. Art is different. We all take our own POV into the story and take diverse interpretations away from it.

In other words some people think it’s a win, others think it’s a draw, others think it’s a loss.

No one is saying “stop being a Star Wars fan”. But, there is literally a Star Wars something for everyone. Didn’t like the sequels? Try Mandalorian. Want something more mature? Watch Andor. Looking for something a bit different? Here’s The Acolyte. Want to get the kids into it? Checkout Rebels. Want a dumb adventure? Solo.

FFS The Star Wars saga is literally designed in a way that you can watch each trilogy without having to acknowledge the others exist. Even the sequels. In fact, if you hate the Disney stuff you could easily pretend it doesn’t exist. Enjoy the pre-Disney content. It’s ALL still out there. Even stuff that Lucas himself had canned.

So why not enjoy the stuff you think is a win and don’t worry about the other stuff and let people just enjoy what they enjoy.

It’s not hard.

Last edited:
No one is saying “stop being a Star Wars fan”. But, there’s so much content out there is literally something for everyone.

It’s different in footy. Everyone has the same goal. Win the ****ing game. Art is different. We all take our own POV into the story and take diverse interpretations away from it.

In other words some people think it’s a win, others think it’s a draw, others think it’s a loss.

So why not enjoy the stuff you think is a win and don’t worry about the other stuff?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What happened to Momma no. 2 with the horns? She turned herself into smoke and we never saw her again. I don't think she was even mentioned despite the whole plot revolving around the Jedis killing their 'mother'.

What happened to Momma no. 2 with the horns? She turned herself into smoke and we never saw her again. I don't think she was even mentioned despite the whole plot revolving around the Jedis killing their 'mother'.

We see her in the last episode, hiding in a cave with a hooded robe, spying on Qimir.

Headland has already stated in an interview we’ll see what happened to her in a later season. She also intimated she may have returned to Dathomir.

I think the main problem with D+ shows (both marvel and star wars) is the way the story is formatted within a show.

Mando S1 and S2 worked great cause they were isolated episodes for an overarching story.
Andor worked great cause of the Arc format.

The rest of the shows; Mando S3, BOBF, Ahsoka, Kenobi, Acolyte, are basically just 2 or 3 movies split up into 20-40 minute segments. Most of the Marvel shows do the same.
There are great episodes and moments in these shows, but watching movies ~30 minutes at a time over 6-8 weeks doesn't allow the story to flow properly and if the writing is weak and there are episodes that are boring or just straight bad, it stands out big time like it did for the acolyte.

I thought the overall story of the acolyte could have been interesting, but the writing, dialogue and most acting were so bad that every character seemed to be a complete dumbass. The amount of illogical decisions in the show by characters made it borderline unwatchable for me.

Headland has already stated in an interview we’ll see what happened to her in a later season. She also intimated she may have returned to Dathomir.

It was weird that she was never mentioned again. Mae could have said to Osha, "Momma 2 found me and raised me".

Or instead of the ridiculous thing we were asked to believe that Mae survived a huge drop by being sucked into a pipe, they could have had Momma 2 save her.

I thought the original premise of Star Wars was antifascism?

And that's why we all liked it. Well, most of us.
Some of "us" are fixated on getting shows centred on the Empire or sith, watching the bad guys win. But maybe to those people they actually prefer those guys?

It was weird that she was never mentioned again. Mae could have said to Osha, "Momma 2 found me and raised me".

Or instead of the ridiculous thing we were asked to believe that Mae survived a huge drop by being sucked into a pipe, they could have had Momma 2 save her.
People know that wasn't her mum in the cave right? It was Plagueis.

That wasn’t the story she wanted to tell though.

Why is it ridiculous to have her decked into a pipe? It’s exactly what happens to Luke at the end of The Empire Strikes Back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

Back