Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keep it all in here.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-27/fans-have-to-stop-campaign-against-goodes-says-mclachlan

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan has called on fans to stop the "ugly" booing of Adam Goodes, saying the concerted "campaign" against the Sydney Swans veteran was hurting a lot of people in the football industry.

All posts in this thread MUST comply with the rules (threads linked below). No exceptions. If you want to talk racism in general, we have SRP.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...es-includes-mod-list-updated-10-3-14.1051872/
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/adam-goodes-and-racism-discussion-on-the-main-board.1101153/

We will watch this thread extremely closely.

How are they suppose to know the difference between Goodes' racist boos and the boos Mitchell received against Collingwood?

A few crowd members were ejected for racist remarks - I'd call that evidence that some boos would be racist.

There hasn't been any evidence that other boos are racially motivated. That doesn't mean they aren't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's an inherent issue here that stops us all progressing:

a) a lot of footy going people do not like who Adam Goodes is as a player or person based on his character profile (real or imagined)

b) a lot of footy going people have an inherent issue with outspoken members of the Indiginous community who play football

I personally have disliked Goodes style of play since the late 00s when in my view he resorted to some, shall we say anti social, tactics.

I haven't and wouldn't boo him. Even though I think the tokenism of the AOTY award was farcical. I'm sure he's an ok guy off field.

I think the only person I have booed at the footy was Wellingham in the night of the Simpson incident along with many others.

It doesn't matter if the boo's are racist or not in my opinion.
If it is taken as being racist then you should stop. It is like saying something accidentally racist, you don't keep doing it if it shown to offend the person. You would just be a knob that way. In other ways though, this is setting a really shitty example for kids. They will sit there and see everyone booing the one player, and just follow their parents.

This is exactly. The fact that Goodes feels as it is....it needs to stop and thats it.

On one side you have the entire AFL community and (one would presume) the entire Indigenous population of Australia.
On the other you have Neil Mitchell and Andrew Bolt.

Which side you think is the right one?

So only Forward Press is allowed to start threads on the Goodes/Booing issue? :rolleyes: I noticed two threads were made yesterday regarding Jetta were shut down by FP within minutes.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/adam-goodes-and-racism-discussion-on-the-main-board.1101153/

2. If you wish to create a thread about Adam Goodes or racism - you will need mod approval to do so. If something controversial or newsworthy enough happens, me or another main board mod will create the thread and establish the rules again in the opening post.

Consider it a reset.

Post away. As long as it's within the rules, of course.

It doesn't matter if the boo's are racist or not in my opinion.
If it is taken as being racist then you should stop. It is like saying something accidentally racist, you don't keep doing it if it shown to offend the person. You would just be a knob that way. In other ways though, this is setting a really shitty example for kids. They will sit there and see everyone booing the one player, and just follow their parents.
We are being told to stop something because a player believes it is racist.....What about other players that are booed? Is that racist too? I think Goodes is the racist one thinking the only reason he is booed is because of his skin colour (nevermind the rest of the non Caucasians in the league who aren't booed)

It just seems like an childish, antagonistic and boorish type of behaviour (for fans to continually boo Goodes)

Now I'm not a fan or defender of Goodes but it really is getting beyond a joke now, I'm just relieved Collingwood are playing the Swans up there, rather than at the G.

Its not a good look for the game, but I really don't think they can really monitor or police the situation (of fans booing at games)

It just strikes me as an unsavoury lynch mob pack mentality now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back