Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

So people think an indigenous wardance he was taught by the U16's indigenous team, which he used in indigenous round, is "acting like a tool"? Good one, pal. Give yourself a facepalm.
If he had done it at the start of the match, not run to the Carlton cheer squad to do it, yeah fair enough, but it was an obvious **** you to the cheer squad, who were vastly out numbered by the swans crowd, and nothing at all to do with the indigenous round. He knew he could get away with it. And since inflaming the crowd with the great Aussie salute is frown upon, and indeed, players are reprimanded or fined for it, why was he the acception the rule? Maybe people are sick of him getting away with shit? He came at me like that I would not applaud his war dance, I'd shoot him with my fake gun. But of course that makes me a racist, but not him.

As for you acting like a tool, have a look at the thread about goal celebrations, players on there getting smashed for far less demonstrative celebrating.

If he wants equality, he needs to play by the same rules as everyone else. He got special treatment for his dance, and that's not right. I don't care what round it was.

She said the booing was racially motivated.

Well, she's not completely wrong there. It was partially racially motivated - but as others have said, to say that all the boo-ers were racist is just flat out incorrect and insulting.

And as others have posted in this thread, too, now that the indigenous community is a bit perturbed at the racial connotations behind the booing - if you continue booing, even if you had the right intentions (eg maybe Adam Goodes is shooting for goal), you're associating yourself with those with not-so-good intentions. Why bother?

I wish this whole issue would just die a natural death.

You can't deny there are some racist elements in the boos. That's not really a blanket statement, like "if you boo Adam Goodes you are a racist".
I would've thought that's the definition of a blanket statement?

I'm sure a small percentage of it was, but it's very narrow minded to just say "the booing is racially motivated".

OKAYYYYY I HAVE THE ANSWER.!.!.!

FOr all those who believe the booing directed towards ADAm GooDDEES is racial directed I have a few Questions for you pelicans!

1. The biggest racial debate in Australia today involves the thoughts on Muslims. Now I'm not going to go into this but as an Ausyralian, and as you guys are fellow Aussies I think we can agree their are a minority in this country who show some form of racial abuse or direct racial comments towards Muslims. Other than that racial debate that is by far the biggest racial problem the country faces (MINORITY!!! But still probably the biggest debate in the country)..

Now ANYWAY what I'm getting to is this. Are their any Muslim players in the comp ??? HMMM MMM Bachor HOuli??? Bacher HOuli is the only Muslim player who comes to mind and I've never heard him being ganged up on and booed?? So it seems that what would seem to be the biggest concern in regards to racism in Australia (unacceptable of Muslims by a minority eg Australian defense league etc) is not in anyway involved in the AFL ??

Alsoooo

Many indegenous players in the game who don't get booed.

ALSOOO

If it's the color of his skin that's attracting the boos ???

Hmmm let's see.

There is a guy who comes to mind in this department (Suss my username lads)....

Naitanui !!! Not to mention majak daw!! A Fijian and Sudanese with dark complexions who I have never seen booed by a a majority of people in a stadium... If anything the stadium and the fans admire these players especially big bad Nic nat!!

What I'm getting at is those who think it's racial based have no evidence to back up this claim.

We have dark skin complexion players who have never been booed by a majority in the stadium.

We have a player of religious believes who a minority of people in this country have problems/implications with yet we've never seen him been booed?

We have several dozen indegenous players yet none of them have been booed by a full stadium ?? (Other than lindsy for diving... Norf rofl) (jks nothing against north)..

Also by the way I in no way intend to bring in religion or skin complexion into this debate. I am just using them as examples to justify that the MAJORITY of the booing for gooses is not racially motivated. Surely their may be the odd ding bat who boos him for being indegenois. Just as their are a number of ding bats who racially vilify Muslims/middle easterners and Europeans Asians Africans etc.

Also by the way I am of European/middle eastern background with friends of various different backgrounds :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't even comprehend it. The aggression is mostly aimed at those defending Goodes irrationally and emotionally and asking for irrational things like "don't boo Adam".

I include players, the Swans boss, BF posters, and the media in that irrational category.

Emotional reactions are useless on pragmatic societal issues. Which Goodes embroils himself in centre stage constantly.
Nope actually that isn't where the aggression is directed. Its directed almost solely at Goodes because golly- he slid into someone-well I must have missed the outrage over players who put their elbows into player's heads regularly-these people who actually could do some real damage but sounds of silence is all I hear. There is outrage over him getting Australian of the year-I must have missed the anger over Steve Waugh, Pat Rafter, Mark Taylor and co.(what has he done to warrant that seems to be Adam's failing lol-more than any of them that is for sure). He gets abuse for calling Australia Day 'Invasion Day' -well can you go count the number of indigenous left in Tassie and get back to me about that moniker please? He questioned the clause in the constitution that means people can be stopped from voting on the basis of their race-fair enough gripe for mine-are you outraged about that? He gets abuse for wondering why a 12 year old is so ignorant as to call an indigenous man an ape- well how come you aren't up in arms about that indictment on our society, because after all, she is learning that somewhere. People are unhappy with the media taking sides-well as far as I can see its Alan Jones /Dermie (tots idiots) and anti-Goodes versus all the rest ( sensible, informed journos)-anti the booing.
Either you are the one who doesn't comprehend it, or you have a baseless gripe that tells me plenty.
Booing anyone is rubbish, this booing is seriously off.

Last edited:
My point was specific to Goodes and his experience with the Stolen Generation. Goode's and only Goode's. This is not a topic on the stolen generation. Or forced adoptions. If you would like to discuss those topics, please point me in the direction of the relevant thread. Until then, tell me how your points relate to Goode's experience and the way it may have affected him.

Or are you saying that Goodes's mum may not have been a part of the stolen generation?

I am not saying Goodes' Mum is or isn't part of the stolen generation - to be honest I had no interest either way. Any more than I'd expect them to be interested in the struggles of my own family tree.

My first response to you was "let's not go there" when YOU introduced the 'stolen generation' dimension - as if this wasn't already a messy enough thread. Glib reference to that two word term was irrelevant to any of the incidents involving Goodes on the field. To my knowledge no-one has taunted Goodes about it or his mother. So why even bring them up? If you beat that drum, don't be surprised if others point out that the 'stolen generation' issue is far more complex than is usually portrayed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those who actually boo Adam Goodes, can you answer a couple of questions?

Are you proud to have hurt and offended another person to the extent that he can't go to work, that his mum is upset, that the whole industry he works in is expressing concern, that our public leaders are expressing their distaste, and that his community are upset?

And if the answer is yes, you are indeed proud to participate in destroying someone's career and mental health, then why don't you join Alan Jones and put your name out there rather than be an anonymous person booing in a crowd and posting on the internet?

Why don't one of you proud booing Australians start a thread or a petition for 'freedom to boo' and put your names down? Then there is a permanent record of one of your proudest moments for everyone to see.

And no I don't feel so proud at the moment and wouldn't put my name to any of it.

No im not and it is as you say, pointless to continue to prove what ?

But its a very different narrative from round 8, when it was a kind of 23rd man type thing, more the colour of his jumper than the colour of his skin.

I think the public speakers of coming from all points of view have to be accountable for blowing this thing up too

Adams own words say he thought it was an adversarial thing back then, mark of respect I think he said.

I also hate all this justifying/hes a flog/hes dirty/13 ye old girl etc. its just feeding the chooks. Hes got a sydney jumper on and they looked like they were winning in fact they did win.

Look no further.

Last edited:
Dunno why I bother looking at these threads. Just depressing.
I see BF as a fairly representative sample of the Australian population (probably skewed to white, hetero males, which of course is by far the dominant voice in this country) and unfortunately we're stuck many years in the past. If you genuinely believe that it's not racist to boo Goodes after all that's happened then you are genuinely stupid.
What I suspect is that many people use this "he's a dirty player/he's a flog" excuse as a cover for their own quiet racism, fooling themselves that they're not out and out bigots. Throw in the sickening herd mentality that is encouraged by the mainstream media and political discourse of this country, as well as the discomfort felt when a high-profile indigenous man calls attention to the atrocious past (and present) treatment of the first people of this country, and there you are - the Australian eloquence and contribution to debate - booooooooooo!

We should be proud that someone like Goodes has the balls to politicise these issues, and by using sport as a vehicle he reaches a huge amount of people (Muhammed Ali anyone?). Instead, once again, Australians behave like a mob of boorish racists when confronted with the ugly truths about our society. Wake up you ****ing sheep!

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/29/why-do-you-boo-adam-goodes-is-it-because-

G17fAUt.gif

The more I watch this the funnier it gets. How's the drop of the knees as well. He should pursue a career in wrestling. I don't reckon a Stone Cold Steve Austin clothesline would get that much of a ricochet if it connected. Goodes almost snapped his spinal cord he was that dedicated to staging for a free kick.

Is this really the reason people do not like him? I mean, is this it. Jesus this sort of stuff happens all the time and has done for years. Is it your view that the reason why Goodes has been getting booed for the last two years because he stages for free kicks. I mean, none of us like it that much but it is hardly a character flaw.

They live in Australia.
In the lucky country.

And they do so because of the actions of their ancestors, both positive and negative.

So yes - it is very relevant to understand the context of that dance.
It's not, I'm not throwing imaginary spears at the Japanese because they bombed us.

I understand that it happened in a different era and things are different now.

Not when the AFL website is running with graphics like this:

View attachment 157372

Gee whiz, nothing polarising in that.

I agree 100% in that the media coverage is not helping. Or Gill intervening with his statement.

Don't give the classless racist knobs the oxygen. I am confident that the majority of Australians would distance themselves from those saying 'go back to the zoo' at games and that if you deny them a reaction, they'll get fed up and f*** off so we can enjoy the game without racial epithets thrown around.

Respect as a person and human - of course, always
Respect as an opposition footballer - none
Don't agree - I love watching good games and good passages of play by any team (except when they're playing the Eagles). I love the game. And your Hawks are making for some very enjoyable viewing at the moment.

So people think an indigenous wardance he was taught by the U16's indigenous team, which he used in indigenous round, is "acting like a tool"? Good one, pal. Give yourself a facepalm.

The same "indigenous wardance" that the indigenous team done when they played Richmond. This being brought up in this thread is just people trying to justify their hatred towards him.

OKAYYYYY I HAVE THE ANSWER.!.!.!

FOr all those who believe the booing directed towards ADAm GooDDEES is racial directed I have a few Questions for you pelicans!

1. The biggest racial debate in Australia today involves the thoughts on Muslims. Now I'm not going to go into this but as an Ausyralian, and as you guys are fellow Aussies I think we can agree their are a minority in this country who show some form of racial abuse or direct racial comments towards Muslims. Other than that racial debate that is by far the biggest racial problem the country faces (MINORITY!!! But still probably the biggest debate in the country)..

Now ANYWAY what I'm getting to is this. Are their any Muslim players in the comp ??? HMMM MMM Bachor HOuli??? Bacher HOuli is the only Muslim player who comes to mind and I've never heard him being ganged up on and booed?? So it seems that what would seem to be the biggest concern in regards to racism in Australia (unacceptable of Muslims by a minority eg Australian defense league etc) is not in anyway involved in the AFL ??

Alsoooo

Many indegenous players in the game who don't get booed.

ALSOOO

If it's the color of his skin that's attracting the boos ???

Hmmm let's see.

There is a guy who comes to mind in this department (Suss my username lads)....

Naitanui !!! Not to mention majak daw!! A Fijian and Sudanese with dark complexions who I have never seen booed by a a majority of people in a stadium... If anything the stadium and the fans admire these players especially big bad Nic nat!!

What I'm getting at is those who think it's racial based have no evidence to back up this claim.

We have dark skin complexion players who have never been booed by a majority in the stadium.

We have a player of religious believes who a minority of people in this country have problems/implications with yet we've never seen him been booed?

We have several dozen indegenous players yet none of them have been booed by a full stadium ?? (Other than lindsy for diving... Norf rofl) (jks nothing against north)..

Also by the way I in no way intend to bring in religion or skin complexion into this debate. I am just using them as examples to justify that the MAJORITY of the booing for gooses is not racially motivated. Surely their may be the odd ding bat who boos him for being indegenois. Just as their are a number of ding bats who racially vilify Muslims/middle easterners and Europeans Asians Africans etc.

Also by the way I am of European/middle eastern background with friends of various different backgrounds :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to boo your English teacher.

When a player goes of hurt on the stretcher, is the other teams fans clapping out of respect, or glad the opposition is now one short? For the majority, it's the former, but there will always be the moron doing it for the wrong reason. Just like the boos. Does any one really believe that many people just don't like indeginous people, or think they should just sit in their box and not get uppity, as one other poster has put it.

How about Anthony Modine, the mans a ****ing tool! Anyone can see that, not just the bogan racists!

Don't agree - I love watching good games and good passages of play by any team (except when they're playing the Eagles). I love the game. And your Hawks are making for some very enjoyable viewing at the moment.

I said that, I appreciate the talent and skill of footballers, not just from my team. But they are the opposition. Stop the boys club and get on with beating them, not cheering them off or congratulating them on milestones or good plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back