Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goodes was only speaking the truth.

European settlement is what has given this country it's wealth, prosperity and high standard of living which Goodes - as a multi millionaire sportsman - currently benefits from.

Goodes would have been well advised to keep comments like his about "invasion day" for a more appropriate time, rather than just after having won Australian of the year.

It's 'the uppity black', not 'the black' who gets booed - you are correct.

He aint uppidty, he is just a flog who sweeps peoples legs, stages for frees and engages in dirty acts.

Maybe its you who has the problem, seeing the colour of someone's skin when the vast majority of AFL supporters just see the colour of the jumper and act accordingly.

Last year Mr Goodes saw the booing as being fine, so what's changed all of a sudden?

That's because it's true.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT GOODES RACE.

What the fans are rejecting isn't the Aboriginal race which Goodes belongs to, but Goodes HIMSELF. The booing fans see Goodes as a divider, not a unifer, a thin-skinned opinionated sook, who thinks "racist" at booing fans, when they are not racist at al.

It's not about Adam Goodes race. It's about Adam Goodes opinions and actions on race, which are perceived as being divisive. In fact, they ARE divisive. Look at this thread, and the column space in the media. it is unquestionably divisive and the fans hate that.

The booing fans, and the non-booers who simply dislike Goodes, are hating the insulting insinuation that they are racists.
So he's a divider because he stands up for racial issues and is an outspoken Aboriginal man? I don't recall him saying it was racist actually, he said he had no problem with it at the start, he now wants it to stop because its affecting his family and friends

c24.gif

Booing is as much apart of the game as cheering, Adam Goodes is a SOOK!!
He lapped up the glory when he was in his prime, but he get's booed and were now "Racists"?
NO!!!

Here's how it STARTED!!!
Adam Goodes got sooky over Buddy Franklin taking the limelight off him and that brought on his "DIRTY PLAYING" and "ACTING" for free kicks!! That's when the supporters picked up on his attitude and the BOO's started for bad sportsmanship!!
Boo's go on for 6 weeks!!!
Then Adam Goodes picks on a 13yr old girl and humiliates her for her immaturity. I don't agree with what she said but, that was a low act to completely pointed her out on live t.v and humiliate her like that.
So.......
The BOO'S continued for another 4-6 weeks.
Now the Indigenous round arises, the Boo's continue as usual, Adam Goodes gets frustrated at supporters and responds to Boo's with "wardance" directed at supporters. Which gets a massive response of Boo's again.
For that response Everyone who boo's him is "RACIST".

How he made that connection is mindblowing!!
Do the supporters really target indigenous players?
No.
Its only been Adam Goodes getting constant boo's, but now he has dragged his culture into this and made this an ugly situation.

Its very weak of Adam Goodes to hide behind his heritage and claim "racism" just because he feels like it.

If he really wants to understand this,
go through the previous games round by round and he will see that this goes wayyyyyyyy back.
Well before his provocative intimidation towards the crowd,
and.......... if he is man enough he will admit its not a RACISM issue.

I hope the supporters don't let him get away with this defamation he has thrust upon the AFL community and BOO him just as much as they would have normally.
BOO GOODES without fear of being labelled as "racist".

"I'm NOT racist I just like booing"
"I'm NOT racist I just like cheering"
I hope I don't offend anyone!!!!!!

GIVE AN INCH AND TAKE A MILE!!!!!!!

Stopped reading at "Here's how it STARTED!!!".

European settlement is what has given this country it's wealth, prosperity and high standard of living which Goodes - as a multi millionaire sportsman - currently benefits from.

Goodes would have been well advised to keep comments like his about "invasion day" for a more appropriate time, rather than just after having won Australian of the year.

I don't have a problem with invasion day, end of the day Europeans came and pretty much took over. Might not have been pitched battles etc but kind of right.

What is ironic is that most of the people who 'invaded' never wanted to come here and were forced onto the boats and made to do forced labor when they arrived with punitive punishment for disobedience.

It wasn't handled well at all.

She was grilled and then detained, by police for two hours, initially without her grandmother present, and threatened with charges. Her face was shown on national TV and she was publicly branded a racist.

Now at the time of the incident Goodes wouldn't have known her age. Yet the next day after finding out her age, Goodes absurdly declared “racism had a face - and it was a 13-year-old girl”.

Most fans were thinking, "How dare he"

And then he gets rewarded as Australian of the year. Upon receiving this award, he says:

“Our very dark past, a brutal history of dispossession, theft and slaughter. Europeans, and the governments that have run our country, have r*ped, killed and stolen. The people who benefited most from those rapes, those killings and that theft ... turn away in disgust when someone seeks to expose it.”

I mean, the guy has just won Australian of the year for God's sake. You're not supposed to criticise you own country.

My ancestors to my knowledge committed no thefts, rapes or murders. I presume Goodes European ancestors didn't either.
This is actually what he said about the 13 year old girl the next day:
“To be able to make a stand myself and say ‘racism has a face’ last night and, you know, it was a 13-year-old girl but it’s not her fault. She's 13, she's still so innocent, I don’t put any blame on her. Unfortunately it’s what she hears, the environment she’s grown up in that has made her think it’s okay to call people names. I can guarantee you right now she would have no idea, you know, how it makes anyone feel by calling them an ape … But I think the person that needs the most support is the little girl, you know. People need to get around her, she's 13, she’s uneducated.”
Pretty reasonable.
Security detained her, Goodes didn't.
Can't really see how you can argue with his account of European occupation of Australia-these are just facts. He went on to say things like this
'The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”
And in other interviews
''That's what I love about Australia: we can do things the way we want to do them, because that's the way our country is - no matter what culture you come from, you can come to Australia and practise your religion, you can practise your beliefs, and you shouldn't be judged for it. That's what I love about Australia, we have this freedom.''
Measured, sensible.
ps you can't actually speak for 'most fans'. You can only speak for yourself.

That was said after he viewed the Pilger documentary "Utopia" He never said that in his speech on Australia day.
Bugger that though, never let the facts get in the way of your agenda!

If it wasn't from the speech, then I am sorry.

Regardless, he still said it, and was Australian of the year whilst saying it. He shouldn't have said it. No one can change the past. All he should be concerned about is the future.

You want to know a great philosopher? Take a look at what Thomas Sowell says about race. His is a brilliant man, who uses logic, not emotion with his arguments. Goodes would be well advised to watch all of Thomas Sowell's videos on YouTube.

That's because it's true.

NO ONE CARES ABOUT GOODES RACE.

What the fans are rejecting isn't the Aboriginal race which Goodes belongs to, but Goodes HIMSELF. The booing fans see Goodes as a divider, not a unifer, a thin-skinned opinionated sook, who thinks "racist" at booing fans, when they are not racist at al.

It's not about Adam Goodes race. It's about Adam Goodes opinions and actions on race, which are perceived as being divisive. In fact, they ARE divisive. Look at this thread, and the column space in the media. it is unquestionably divisive and the fans hate that.

The booing fans, and the non-booers who simply dislike Goodes, are hating the insulting insinuation that they are racists.
It's not true.

You know, usually when people make assertions repeatedly, they back them with actual evidence.

There is NO proof that everyone booing Goodes is a racist.

Likewise, there is NO proof that no-one booing Goodes is a racist, and they are all doing it for other reasons. But that is what you are claiming, entirely without proof.

It's fair to assume that some people booing Goodes are racist, and some are not.

Has anything been mentioned about the Boo-a-Roo campaign Sydney started yet?

I know Adam Goodes wasn't the cause of it, but surely it's a change from the 509 pages worth of:

"If you boo Adam Goodes, you're racist."

"I'm not racist, I just don't like his staging/arrogance on the field."

"Nah mate, if you're not racist why don't you boo Luke Shuey for ducking into head high tackles?"

"Because if I was racist, I would boo Lewis Jetta and others as well."

"RAAACCCCIIISSSTTTT!!!!"

"You're a flog!"

no, come on, your wise ways are lost on the plebs. spell it out so we can all have a look at your argument.

after last weekend a positive claim of fact/truth was made. i.e. "it is clear now that the booing has racial undertones". a positive claim to knowledge (or fact) requires some proof. repetition of the claim is not proof. i'm not making a positive claim to knowledge, but refuting the initial claim which seems to so easily satisfy some.
here you go champ. you asked for some proof. i offered some. it's not that hard. you could have just said "thanks"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if you hate Booing in general, but on the Goodes situation you try and cut throw the grey discussions and understand how this all got out of hand, rather then just saying tens of thousands of supporters at each swans away game is a racist or that Goodes just gets booed because he is dirty or whatever.

i'm of the opinion that the more recent booing-escalation-fiasco is most likely due to media coverage and comment. now the media (AFL et al.) are trying to solve a problem of their own (unintended) creation.

I generally have a distaste for the AFL being used as some sort of social judge & juror...

you and me both. simply, the AFL are dickheads from whom i'll take no moral guidance. they aren't qualified to moralise on anything.

...so im naturally skeptical on some of the things being alleged

rightly so.

but seriously, despite this apparently being an aboriginal issue, a self confessed aborigine, and other reported aboriginal's opinions, have been dismissed already in this thread because they don't fit the narrative. if your aboriginal friends have an opinion on adam goodes, AOTY 2014, then they will only be admissible if they support the idea that he speaks for them, and is a ripping bloke that could (now) only be booed by racists.

This is actually what he said about the 13 year old girl the next day:
“To be able to make a stand myself and say ‘racism has a face’ last night and, you know, it was a 13-year-old girl but it’s not her fault. She's 13, she's still so innocent, I don’t put any blame on her. Unfortunately it’s what she hears, the environment she’s grown up in that has made her think it’s okay to call people names. I can guarantee you right now she would have no idea, you know, how it makes anyone feel by calling them an ape … But I think the person that needs the most support is the little girl, you know. People need to get around her, she's 13, she’s uneducated.”
Pretty reasonable.
Security detained her, Goodes didn't.
Can't really see how you can argue with his account of European occupation of Australia-these are just facts. He went on to say things like this
'The ultimate reward is when all Australians see each other as equals and treat each other as equals. To me, everything is about people and the choices we make. I believe it’s the people and the interactions between us that makes this country so special. Thank you so much and have a great Australia Day.”
And in other interviews
''That's what I love about Australia: we can do things the way we want to do them, because that's the way our country is - no matter what culture you come from, you can come to Australia and practise your religion, you can practise your beliefs, and you shouldn't be judged for it. That's what I love about Australia, we have this freedom.''
Measured, sensible.
ps you can't actually speak for 'most fans'. You can only speak for yourself.

She claimed she wasn't being racist. And we have to take her at her word. She used the word "ape" because he was a big hairy man. Jason Dunstall gets called a gorilla all the time.

Goodes may have taken it as racist, but there is no evidence that her comments were based on race. They were based on his bearded appearance.

Massacres of aboriginal people did happen, the last massacre was in the 1930s known as the Conniston massacre.Why is it so hard to acknowledge the wrongs that have been committed. That is how we move forward as a country. By the way my grandmother survived the Conniston massacre but her younger siblings did not. I never heard my grandparents talk ill of white people in general. People need to read a book called Blood on the wattle.

Regardless, he still said it, and was Australian of the year whilst saying it. He shouldn't have said it. No one can change the past. All he should be concerned about is the future.

You want to know a great philosopher? Take a look at what Thomas Sowell says about race. His is a brilliant man, who uses logic, not emotion with his arguments. Goodes would be well advised to watch all of Thomas Sowell's videos on YouTube.
Are you seriously suggesting we ignore the past?

I don't think I've ever seen an issue where the media is so out of step with the general public.

The media, tend to be leftist types who like to be "seen" to be compassionate. Most journalists, and those who put their thoughts to print are aware that their thoughts are being read by tens of thousands of people, so they tend to take the "safe" so-called compassionate opinion.

The reality is that there isn't even a hint of racism by the booing fans in any of this. If it was, then all Aboriginal players would be booed, which of course they aren't. What the fans are rejecting is Goodes himself, because they disapprove of several things about him.

1.) His on-field acts a few years ago, which he has cleaned up now.

2.) His bullying attitude towards a 13 years old girl, calling her "the face of racism." This made Goodes seem thin-skinned and a bully

3.) His Australia day speech, where he criticised his own country. How dare someone do that when they are bestowed the greatest honour you can get in our country.

4.) His war dance, which only inflamed things. Seriously, if you are getting booed, why inflame things with a race-based Aboriginal dance? Does he think fans WON'T then react to that?

5.) His divisive politics. Like so many leftists, he preaches reconciliation, yet HE is the one bringing race into the equation. HE is the one talking about race.

If he would stop bringing politics into everything, and stop dividing the country by race, then that would be a good start to win the fans back. But he won't. He has too many leftists types in his ear giving him the wrong advice.

The AFL is partly to blame with all of this, as they have applied the same reverse racism to many of their policies such as selecting an all-aboriginal International Rules team where whites were excluded. When you divide by race, the people reject it.
Welcome back Mr Jones. How is 2GB these days?

Boo
>Ghosts say boo
>Ghosts wear white sheets
>Who else wears white sheets? Thats right, the KKK
>KKK are racists
>Booing Goodes means you support the KKK
> Three Ks = 3 points of the triangle

Illuminati confirmed

Just like to add that the KKK was founded by supporters of the democratic party in the USA. The Jim Crow laws were started by left-wing democrats as well.

It's always the left who preach compassion, but are the ones who bring race into the equation.

Just look at the media. The left-wing "The Age" calling fans racists, when they are not.

Why shouldn't he have said the truth? because it made you slightly uncomfortable.
Thomas Sowell, the Freidman fellow? No thanks, I can do without his kind of philosophy.

She claimed she wasn't being racist. And we have to take her at her word. She used the word "ape" because he was a big hairy man. Jason Dunstall gets called a gorilla all the time.

Goodes may have taken it as racist, but there is no evidence that her comments were based on race. They were based on his bearded appearance.
Calm down, I just supplied you with his quote and you are still in denial. Take off your blinkers and read the words.
Jason Dunstall is not indigenous.

Are you seriously suggesting we ignore the past?

No. We learn from the past. And we have. Last time I checked Any Australian regardless of colour is allowed to vote and are subjected to the same laws. This wasn't always the case.

If anything, affirmative action (an abhorrent concept) has seen white people discriminated against. Quotas, for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back