The AFL's dirty little secret exposed: How the Roos were rooted by the fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Great post Utility.

You should send this (or an abbreaviated version of) to all media outlets; they do read them. If it doesn't get a mention, at least you tried but if only 1 mob gives it a mention it could gain some momentum & would be due reward for some terrific time & effort you've already put in - well done.

SEN:
KB - hungryforsport@sen.com.au
Harf - harftime@sen.com.au
Ox - therunhome@sen.com.au
Finey is old school, no email - just call!
Footy Classified:
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/footyshow/feedback.aspx?formid=2466
On The Couch:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/shows/onthecouch
The Age: (attention anyone but CW)
newsdesk@theage.com.au
The HeraldSun: (Robbo probably best bet now damian barrett is gone)
hssport@heraldsun.com.au
The Australian: (lol - take ya pick!)
sport@theaustralian.com.au

Here is an equation that has true political clout.

Factor our revenue based on the same draw as Collingwoods and then see if the CBF adequately covers the shortfall.

Use last years attendance figures to work out the equation.
Yeah Ive been wondering this as well. Eddie always craps on about propping up the poor clubs, but maybe its actually us feeding the rich by playing all the shit drawing games.

Be interesting to see what 2 Games against Collingwood, Essendon and Carlton would do to our bottom line.

Really nice work, utility.:thumbsu:

Mark Fine at SEN, or Damien Barrett at the Footy Show. Or send the facts and figures to Eugene. He'd know what to do with it.

I wouldn't waste my time with lightweights like Happening Harf. He wouldn't know a story if it jumped up and bit him on the arse.

And some of those loose cannons like Robbo are unpredictable.

Even Cow-ro said on Footy Classified that we'd copped a horror or horrible draw this year. How would that be? A pro-North article from Cow-ro. That'd be a collectors item.

WANM should have never been fully wound down.

We need a full time anti propaganda wing

WANM lives - has never been wound down and we all chat. I still get media enquiries from time to time on NMFC issues but at this stage we decline to comment as we trust in the leadership. If that changes we are ready to roll.

WANM lives - has never been wound down and we all chat. I still get media enquiries from time to time on NMFC issues but at this stage we decline to comment as we trust in the leadership. If that changes we are ready to roll.

I understand, but there are certain things that supporters can get away with saying in the media that administration can't, catch my drift?

We need to have a WANM person regularly liaising with someone inside admin. and releasing/countering arguments in to the media.

WOW... Thread of the year for mine. Brilliant work.

Send to Eugene. Send to SEN.... Make people realise. Give KB something to talk about, and lets see what Patrick Smith or Greg Denham have to say about that. Also send a copy to Hutchy and ask him to give a copy to caro before footy classified. F*** IT... Put it on the 7, 9 & 10 news....:D

Seriously, great work..... Very interesting stats...

Bloody awsome work again utility. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I suggest you send this to Rohan Connolly (The Age and 3AW), Mark Robertson (The Herald Sun AND SEN), Craig Hutchison (Croc Media.......SEN, The Herald Sun and ch9), and CC. Euge, JB AND Heathy O'. It would be great if Boomer was armed with these FACTS tomorrow night.

Bloody awsome work again utility. :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

I suggest you send this to Rohan Connolly (The Age and 3AW), Mark Robertson (The Herald Sun AND SEN), Craig Hutchison (Croc Media.......SEN, The Herald Sun and ch9), and CC. Euge, JB AND Heathy O'. It would be great if Boomer was armed with these FACTS tomorrow night.
I will try to put something a little slicker together tomorrow but would like to know Collingwood's FTA/Foxtel stats this year before doing so.

Lil' help pls. :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, Collingwood will argue that every other Melbourne team specifically requests home games vs the Magpies, so the AFL is actually fulfilling the wishes of the majority of clubs.

I think we should request not playing ANY games against the filth next year as their jumper clashes with ours and the AFL have no balls to do anything about it. I'd settle for a draw and 2 points each.

I will try to put something a little slicker together tomorrow but would like to know Collingwood's FTA/Foxtel stats this year before doing so.

Lil' help pls. :)

O.K:

Round 1: Both teams played Sunday 28/3.

WB v COLL15:00
1 hr delay C7
PORT v NMFC 13:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE
Round 2: Both Sat 3/4.

COLL v MELB 14:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

STK v NMFC 19:30
30 min delayC10

Round 3: Coll Friday 9/4.

STK v COLL20:30
1 hr delayC7

North Sat 10/4
NMFC v WCE 15:00

1 hr delayC10

Round 4: Both Sat 17/4
NMFC v SYD 14:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

COLL v HAW 19:30
30 min delayC10

Round 5: Both Sun 25/4
COLL v ESS12:30

LIVE (INCL. PREMATCH ENT.)C7

HAW v NMFC23:00

REPLAYC7 17:30
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 6: North Sat 1/5, Coll Sunday 2/5
NMFC v MELB 15:00

1 hr delay C10

CARL v COLL15:00

1 hr delayC7

Round 7: Sat 8/5
COLL v NMFC 19:30
30 min delayC10

Round 8: Coll Fri. 14/5, North Sat. 15/5
FRE v COLL20:30
LIVEC7

NMFC v ADEL 19:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 9: Coll Fri. 21/5, North Sat 22/5
COLL v GEEL19:30
LIVEC7

NMFC v WB 15:00

1 hr delayC10

Round 10. Coll Sat. 29/5, North Sun. 30/5
BL v COLL 19:00

LIVEC10

FRE v NMFC 16:30
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 11. North Sat. 5/6, Coll Sun. 6/6
NMFC v BL 19:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

COLL v WB 16:30
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 12: North Fri. 11/6, Coll Mon. 14/6
NMFC v CARL20:30
1 hr delayC7

MELB v COLL 14:30
30 min delayC10

Round 13. North Sun. 20/6, Coll Sat. 26/6
NMFC v PORT 13:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

SYD v COLL 19:00

LIVEC10

Round 14. Coll Sat. 3/7, North Sun. 4/7
COLL v WCE 19:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

GEEL v NMFC 13:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 15. Coll Fri. 9/7, North Sun 11/7
PORT v COLL20:30
LIVEC7

SYD v NMFC 13:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 16. Coll Sat. 17/7, North Sun. 18/7
COLL v STK 15:00
1 hr delayC10

RICH v NMFC15:00
1 hr delayC7

Round 17. Both Sat. 24/7
COLL v RICH 15:00
1 hr delayC10

NMFC v ESS 19:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 18. Coll Sat. 31/7, North Sun. 1/8
COLL v CARL 15:00
LIVEC10

WB v NMFC15:00
1 hr delayC7

Round 19. Both Sat. 7/8
NMFC v FRE 14:00
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

GEEL v COLL 19:30
30 min delayC7

Round 20. Coll Fri. 13/8, North Sun. 15/8
ESS v COLL20:30
1 hr delayC7

NMFC v STK 16:30
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 21. Coll Sat. 21/8, North Sun. 22/8
COLL v ADEL 19:30
30 min delayC10

WCE v NMFC 16:30
Fox Sports</B>
LIVE

Round 22. "Who the **** knows but make sure North is on Fox Sunday.":thumbsu:

Interesting breakdown that, sorry about the length & zero style points.

I understand, but there are certain things that supporters can get away with saying in the media that administration can't, catch my drift?

We need to have a WANM person regularly liaising with someone inside admin. and releasing/countering arguments in to the media.

There are people playing that role (not WANM necessarily) but it still depends on having a sympathetic media. We don't have that.

Brilliant work utility:thumbsu:

There are far greater minds posting on BF than our so called footy media journos- most of them are a bunch of bigoted, bias ba......tds

You could try sending it to Damian Barrett because he was more than helpful with exposing the great work of BF people re the true GC figure offered by the AFL.
Even Sheahan could be an interesting source because it would be interesting to see what he would decide to do with such info!!
gokangas may be able to help you with contact details for Barrett.

The type of work done by utility is the type of work any honest journo should be endeavouring to reveal.
Too busy with their heads up someone else's b...t to be bothered with hard hitting investigative work.

As far as I am concerned the AFL is full of dirty little secrets and shifty intentions, especially favouring the rich clubs and with a penchant for crushing the poor, it is an organisation not to be trusted.

This is true. It would of course be important that there was no professional connection between the club and supporter groups...

Brilliant work utility:thumbsu:

There are far greater minds posting on BF than our so called footy media journos- most of them are a bunch of bigoted, bias ba......tds

You could try sending it to Damian Barrett because he was more than helpful with exposing the great work of BF people re the true GC figure offered by the AFL.
Even Sheahan could be an interesting source because it would be interesting to see what he would decide to do with such info!!
gokangas may be able to help you with contact details for Barrett.

The type of work done by utility is the type of work any honest journo should be endeavouring to reveal.
Too busy with their heads up someone else's b...t to be bothered with hard hitting investigative work.

As far as I am concerned the AFL is full of dirty little secrets and shifty intentions, especially favouring the rich clubs and with a penchant for crushing the poor, it is an organisation not to be trusted.

Language please young lady!

I have distributed this to a few sporting journos inc Damian. Whilst this thread details the bias beuatifully they will argue that the competitive balance fund is all about compensating us for these inequalities. The AFL will argue they have a draw that maximises attendances (blockbusters etc) and we (and others) are surviving by our share of those pools. The one area that this affects most is our ability to capture the wavering members early.

There are people playing that role (not WANM necessarily) but it still depends on having a sympathetic media. We don't have that.

We have talk back radio and we have the internet, including youtube.

I'm confident that someone like Mark Fine would consider having a member of WANM appear in a guest spot.

We have talk back radio and we have the internet, including youtube.

I'm confident that someone like Mark Fine would consider having a member of WANM appear in a guest spot.

Getting media time is the easy bit - I still take calls for comment on NMFC issues from the media from time to time. We have to make sure it is a WANM role and that is always being considered.

I have distributed this to a few sporting journos inc Damian. Whilst this thread details the bias beuatifully they will argue that the competitive balance fund is all about compensating us for these inequalities. The AFL will argue they have a draw that maximises attendances (blockbusters etc) and we (and others) are surviving by our share of those pools. The one area that this affects most is our ability to capture the wavering members early.
I may not have time to clean this up into a nice little package but I do intend to demonstrate how the fixturing inequality is damaging in the short-term and over time.

As I have demonstrated North's NVT fixturing is 9% worse than the average. It may not sound like much but, to take an example people are more familiar with, the RBA expands the money supply by an average of 7% per year. This means the purchasing power of your money halves over a decade - how much was petrol/milk/bread, etc. tens year ago? Inflation eats away at your savings but you don't really notice it because it is in relatively small increments - BUT THE LOSS COMPOUNDS.

It is the same with the fixturing. We have copped the raw end of the stick for over a decade and suffered what appears to the the WORST EVER FIXTURE from a commercial perspective.

I think the management of the club deserves a big pat on the back. This year they were faced with:

- The fixture from hell (as previously discussed),
- Coming off a seven win season finishing 13th - including a coach leaving mid-season,
- Starting the season 1-3,
- Not playing a home game against a Victorian side until round six, and
- Getting flogged by over 100 points in our first game in Melbourne.

Yet:
- Net attendance from the last game against same opposition has INCREASED,
- Membership has INCREASED from last year (correct me if I am wrong), and
- Membership has INCREASED over 30% from 3 years ago.

This is all after our own 'Lost Decade' off the field. In hindsight the club's management was severely scarred by the AFL's merger push in the mid-90s, and completely lost the plot when Ron Casey passed away. The management of the club during this time was poor to diabolical:

- Greg Miller was not equipped to manage the club and ham-fisted a Sydney co-location,
- Aylett regime moved us from the MCG to the Docklands WITHOUT A CONTRACT and without his much publicised five-year plan and gave up our TRADITIONAL Friday night games without a whimper,
- Michael Easy lasted six weeks as CEO,
- After the botched Sydney co-location, we moved to Canberra without really demonstrating any lessons learned,
- Geoff Walsh was a CEO in training and improved on the job, but has proven to be below par and held the members with contempt,
- Graham Duff was full of bluff and bluster as chairman and ran the club further into the ground,
- Rick Aylett, whilst a nice bloke, was clearly not the right man for the job,
- The club decided to give up 'safe' money by playing games on the Gold Coast,
- Like in the mid-90s when the club, Melbourne, almost a majority of Hawthorn members, and the football world was CONNED into believing clubs NEEDED to merge - four board members and a large section of the football world were CONNED into believing the club needed to relocate and die.

(Please add to this list if I have forgotten anything)

It was the great work of Ron Joseph, James Brayshaw, WANM, Roosistence and others - most notably Bob Ansett - that called the AFL's bluff and the rest is history.

Also - one thing I have touched on is that the club plays 11 home games at the Docklands this year, fulfilling ~25% of the contractual requirement. This is a MASSIVE CONTRIBUTION BY THE CLUB. While people may love the MCG, the Docklands is a fantastic facility and NORTH IS CONTRIBUTING A QUARTER OF THE CONTRACTUAL OBLIGATIONS to pay it off for the benefit of ALL clubs. At a guess Collingwood play ZERO home games there this year.

The truth of the matter is that COLLINGWOOD ARE SUBSIDISED BY NORTH MELBOURNE, NOT THE OTHER WAY ROUND. It is our abhorrent fixturing that allows them to generate inflated revenues. On a level playing field they would earn LESS - THAT IS A FACT.

The spotlight must be put on the AFL regarding the fixturing. The reason for it is EXECUTIVE BONUSES are tied to KPIs that encourage this MALFESCANT BEHAVIOUR. The AFL executive (Demetriou and co.) are RESPONSIBLE for our fixturing but the COMMISSION is ACCOUNTABLE for the executive. Either they have incompetently created faulty bonus KPIs or WANT US TO BE SHAFTED.

The bonus culture is no different to the Wall Street bankers. Demetriou is the Blankfein of the AFL.

Blankfein says, "I do God's work". Demetriou says, "I serve the game".

Blankfein says, "We did nothing illegal". Demetriou says, "Fixturing complaints are unfounded".

Goldman Sachs create financial products designed to blow up - they are financial arsonists.

The AFL create rigged fixtures designed to blow us up - they are football arsonists.

Someone seriously needs to take the AFL to the sword over this issue. All we ask for is EQUITY, the Aussie FAIR GO. Let's see the media put them to the acid.

Oh, and the AFL rejected our application to play a home game in Perth, where we have significant sponsors and a relatively large number of members. Their reason: IT WOULD COMPROMISE THE FIXTURE. What a ****ing load of horse ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

The AFL's dirty little secret exposed: How the Roos were rooted by the fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Back