The Age article

Remove this Banner Ad

The implication was that he did

That reads as present tense ie he knew he was a BM
If you want to read it that way.

Since I don't know specifically who is talking about so that may very well be the case.

FWIW there's an interesting (unrelated) article by Phil Cleary on Fred Cook in The Age as well.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/03/24/1174597951701.html

and an interesting article by Caroline Wilson where she rips into WCE, as well as Richmond for employing Wayne Johnston as a runner .

http://www.theage.com.au/realfooty/...-but-allout-war/2007/03/24/1174597953745.html

I think (as we probably already have), if the Fraser article is true, Voss can be dismissed as a 'candidate'.

As the West Coast experience has shown, this is an issue which becomes worse when leaders are the perpetrators. Former Brisbane Lions captain Michael Voss once physically threatened a young player he discovered smoking a joint. That player is no longer there, and strong leadership from senior players prevented it from become a big issue.

Watching this documentary 'Cocaine Cowboys' not long ago.
They were interviewing this huge dealer from Miami, he said two days before the '79 Superbowl, he had the offensive line from the Pittsburg Steelers doing coke on his coffee table.

Only thing was, this dealer was out of jail with a story to tell, much like this lawyer.

Andrew Fraser article.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2007/03/24/1174597954387.html

Selected quotes:

One night before my spectacular fall from grace I was at a Melbourne hotel favoured by AFL footballers and during the evening I was invited upstairs for a line of cocaine. I stepped into the room to find three star footballers with something in common: they were all premiership players ... and they were all snorting the white powder.
I was not shocked at footballers consuming coke but I was surprised that these high-profile players were having such a red hot go. Especially a Brownlow medallist.

Andrew Fraser was a criminal lawyer before a cocaine habit led him to conspire with a former client to smuggle the drug from Africa in 1999. He was sentenced to a minimum five years' jail in 2001 after pleading guilty to trafficking, possession and importation.

------------------------------------------------------

So let's analyse this:

This happened "one night" before his fall from grace. Could mean the night before or more likely any night before.

"Fall from grace" could either mean the day he was busted or the day he was sentenced. Either way, the latest this could have happened is (Dec) 2001.

All 3 players were premiership players at the time. So that reasonably means Brisbane (2001), Essendon (2000), Kangaroos (1999, 1996), Crows (1997, 1998), Carlton (1995).

The article does suggest that the player was a Brownlow medalist at the time, although not clear. It's possible that the player won the Brownlow after this encounter. So which players have a premiership medallion before 2001 and a Brownlow?:

Narrows the field a bit doesn't it.

Re: Andrew Fraser article.

Seems to have a Western Australian clientel.

Also in the unit was another man - Andrew Fraser, a high-flying lawyer who came crashing to earth due to an addiction to cocaine.

Smart, tough and energetic, his client list ranged from disgraced billionaire Alan Bond, footballer Jimmy Krakouer and killer Dennis Allan. But by the late 1990s he was spending $1000 a day on cocaine and his once-flourishing city legal practice was shrinking.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/prime-suspect/2006/09/11/1157826879940.html

Fraser is a Melb lawyer so I'd tend to lean towards a Melb based footballer. But have heard rumours about an Adelaide based footballer who the Age wanted to "out" today as one of the 24 +ve drug tests.

Mad Dog:

What are you on mate? I'm not naming names at all. If you read the article there's only a handful of names that he can possibly be talking about. I don't see the problem naming them?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mad Dog:

What are you on mate? I'm not naming names at all. If you read the article there's only a handful of names that he can possibly be talking about. I don't see the problem naming them?

yes you're right - and we can all figure that out without actually posting them...

cheers

please don't use names

.....only go as far as the speculation in the article
That's what I did.

I never said which one of them he's talking about (because I don't know), just named the only people he could possiby be talking about.

I guess we'll just let everyone do their own calculations.

Very interesting indeed Bunsen. I have heard heaps of 'rumours' about Brisbane & Adelaide players before

:eek:

please don't use names

.....only go as far as the speculation in the article

If an individual players name is going to be suppressed to preserve his reputations shouldn’t the same privilege be given to the clubs as well?

To prevent any potential defamation law suit for Big Footy players not caught involved in this drugs scandal cannot be guilty via association and the naming of individual clubs is tarring all 42 players on the list.

Club names should be suppressed just as individuals until some evidence is available.

Between 1990 - 2001 there have only been 5 Brownlow Medalists who are also Premiership players. Sure does narrow the field which is why if I were innocent I would be mad as hell.

Here is an article from SPY in todays AGE (back page of main part of The AGE)

Temper, temper...
THERE was, Spy hears, a heated altercation on the set of The Footy Show on Thursday night after the broadcast finished. With the vexed question of footballers and drugs looming large, two of the top-rating show's stars almost came to blows, with one distinctly unimpressed by a jokey suggestion made during the show that the program's participants could submit to live drug tests on camera. "Neve set me up like that again, or I'll knock you out," was the non-so-friendly warning."

Very Interesting indeed. Can anyone remember this incident in the show i.e. who asked who to submit drug tests.

Interesting...

Which players won the brownlow say from about 97 through to 2001 inclusive? Anyone know. My youngster was just asking me out of curiosity.

Between 1990 - 2001 there have only been 5 Brownlow Medalists who are also Premiership players. Sure does narrow the field which is why if I were innocent I would be mad as hell.
I have nothing to worry about from a dogs perspective unless some of the 54 premiership players are using their pension on lines of coke

But was the player a Brownlow medallists before or after that evening with Fraser? Fraser may have deliberately written that sentance in a way so that nearly everyone thinks he was a Brownlow medallist at the time.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Age article

Remove this Banner Ad

Back