The Age or The Herald?

Remove this Banner Ad

benno87

Cancelled
Jun 1, 2003
London
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I live in Western Australia, and access these websites either early in the morning before my bus comes at Eight AM, or in the evenings when the web publishes the stories at around 10:30pm WST.

WHat I want to know for those who live in Victoria, or simply follow these papers on the internet as I do; Which newspaper do you enjoy reading more, The Age or The Herald?

For me by the way it's The Age. realfooty.com.au is a great site with its new structure, and I cannot wait until Round 5 when my mate and I fly to Melbourne, sitting in Telstra Dome watching the football while reading these football orientated newspapers that aren't filled with Ben Cousins and Peter Bell (West Australian).

the age is a mile in front of the 'little paper' for sports coverage,particuly AFL.

The 'little paper" and the AFL establishment(particully oakley ) have a good thing going in terms of mutal admiration.The Hun NEVER published a negative story,questions a dececion or has failed to put a posative spin on anthing to do with the AFL.In return the AFL leaked all good stories to the Herald-Sun.It is really sickening.

The Age meanwhile shows much more integrity and will scratch below the 'fluff' of a story to REALY find out the facts.

admittedly robert walls is the biggest ****head on earth and why the Age would ever get him to write is beyond my belief........but everyone knows that the Age is a hell of a lot more interesting to read than the Herald Sun where bloody FIGJAM writes.................unbelievable

Just thought that i'd take this opportunity to re-emphasise that robert walls should be shot and everything about him ****es me off...............especially his continual bagging of Geelong

The Age absolutely ****s all over the Sun for quality and even breaks stories. Sheehan's mob just wait to report what was on tv. The language they use is aimed at twelve year olds. The Age is insightful. Forget the size of it it is quality which rules.

Originally posted by Ice goddess
The Age absolutely ****s all over the Sun for quality and even breaks stories. Sheehan's mob just wait to report what was on tv. The language they use is aimed at twelve year olds. The Age is insightful. Forget the size of it it is quality which rules.

Could not put it any better, the Age leaves the Herald Sun for dead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Originally posted by Ramma
6 words:

Connolly, Rohan, Wilson, Caroline, Walls, Robert.

Hun by the length of a Connolly-Essendon 'feel-good' article.
Walls: Point taken. I have long been a critic of him.
Connolly: He's OK as long as he's not writing about Essendon (rare, admittedly)
Wilson: Yyyyeeeaaaaahhhh.

But I'd prefer them to Mike Sheahan, Mark Stevens and the horrific Rod Nicholson any day.

And on the negatives you also forgot Timmy ("Let's talk about Sheeds, Essendon & Me") Watson and Dermott ("Let's talk about me") Brereton.

BUT.....Martin Flanagan, Martin Blake, Greg Baum, Linda Pearce, Jake Niall, Len Johnson, Stephen Reilly, Richard Hinds and even Peter Ker (although I'm still a little angry at his writing that Port had beaten Swans a day before the game was played) far outweigh the rest of the Hun's idiots.

The Age by so far its not funny. Actually takes football seriously. The stuff that passes for match reports or analysis at the Hun is laughable. Also too many 'celebrity' columnists with nothing to say.
Now if we could ban Caro from writing about Richmond (best cure for insomnia known to humanity) we'd be set.

Originally posted by mocaholic
Walls: Point taken. I have long been a critic of him.
Connolly: He's OK as long as he's not writing about Essendon (rare, admittedly)
Wilson: Yyyyeeeaaaaahhhh.

But I'd prefer them to Mike Sheahan, Mark Stevens and the horrific Rod Nicholson any day.

And on the negatives you also forgot Timmy ("Let's talk about Sheeds, Essendon & Me") Watson and Dermott ("Let's talk about me") Brereton.

BUT.....Martin Flanagan, Martin Blake, Greg Baum, Linda Pearce, Jake Niall, Len Johnson, Stephen Reilly, Richard Hinds and even Peter Ker (although I'm still a little angry at his writing that Port had beaten Swans a day before the game was played) far outweigh the rest of the Hun's idiots.

Baum, Pearce and Niall are all ex-Hun anyways (Linda is a good sort, too - lovely person), and Sheahan was initially from the Aged.
Was only counting the 'professional' writers (loosely applied to Walls).
I guess those who enjoy the Aged best make the most of it - the time is a comin'.....

I'd rather read Bigfooty than either. No, this is not an intentional plug, but a point of view.

Originally posted by Ice goddess

Different styles for different audiences.

The Herald Sun is still the official paper of the AFL, is it not?

Originally posted by benny's buddy
The Herald Sun is still the official paper of the AFL, is it not?

That's a title up for sale.

The Age has better articles and is more informative, but when I physically buy a paper, I'd usually buy the Sun, because it is very very difficult to read the Age on the train.

For me the Hun is better, especially on match reviews.

For quality of journo, they are much of a muchness these days.

For those who bag the Hun as a simpletons paper, it has always been driven by pictorial as much as editorial.

If you are talking about footy coverage both are good.
Would never buy the Age except on Saturday.Cannot stand the left wing crap which permeates the paper.
But as far as the website goes the Age gives you better coverage.
And as others have said give a good variety of writing styles.

The HS is embarrassingly bad. It takes five minutes to read all the interesting bits.

Just because it's not right-wing doesn't mean it's left wing. You've obviously never read an article Gerard Henderson (king ****) has had published in it.

On the size thing......The Age is a broadsheet, while The Hunn is a tabloid. Geddit?

So....the Age by a country mile. The Age is, however, another country mile behind the Guardian (England). :)

Remove this Banner Ad

The Age or The Herald?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back