The Age: Williams to Punt Road

Remove this Banner Ad

Will certainly add pressure to Hardwick for next year.

good and bad can come of this

the jungle drums will be beating if the tigs are stuck in the bottom half of the ladder at the end of the season next year, i will be beating them as hard as any.

or on the contrary, mark williams manages to do what no one has done at richmond in the 30 years, develop a player outside the first round of the draft.

Tigers not believing in Hardwick, looks like they think he needs some help. Could be a disastrous move if they start poorly next year. Media will be all over them.

Tigers not believing in Hardwick, looks like they think he needs some help. Could be a disastrous move if they start poorly next year. Media will be all over them.

thats the main reason why i have never been keen on this "master coach" sort of arrangement. its worked thus far at essendon due to hird being only 2 years in to his coaching appointment.

could get very ugly if hardwick is struggling early

Since Hardwick's final game was a winning GF under Williams, it's likely Williams influenced his coaching philosophies and is someone Hardwick knows he can work with.

Can't see why he'd want to swap a development role at GWS (which is what coaching that side basically is) for a development role at the Tigers.

Money, probably. Which is as good a reason as any, I guess.
I'm guessing but maybe he's been shafted in that he was previously told he would be senior coach next year but they have decided to stick with Sheedy? If that's the case then I don't blame him for not wanting to stay if that trust or understanding was breached, regardless of whether or not his next role elsewhere would be the same as his current role.

I don't blame him for wanting to leave, he's the one doing all the real work while Sheedy's too busy checking his mobile during games. He's been shafted big time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

as our ability to improve our football dept thru better resources more money etc grows so will our ability to make appointments like williams and other highly credentialled football people.
theres lots of ex cooaches at a lot of clubs performing important roles why should we be any different.

as for hardwick regardless of who we bring into our footy dept he is as safe as houses even if we miss finals next yr.
lets face it only half a job has been done thus far under hardwick.
hes done the easy bit in a way cleaning out most of the obvious hacks and there were heaps of them and plenty still remain.

his first crop of kids enter yr 4, its about now you expect them to start to make some significant impact narrow the gap between good and bad and become more consistent.
its this crop taking the next step along with some mature recruits that should allow us to finally cut hacks like mcguane jackson white nahas king etc etc etc in the not too distant future.
just my opinion but when one considers how far back hardwick is coming from hes tracking along very nicely thank you very much.
we are well in front of where i expected us to be in yr 3 considering the base we had 3 yrs ago. i also believe that while we publicly state our aim is finals and all clubs should AIM at finals the actual expectations when all the kpis are considered may be a bit different.

It appears he won't have a match day role. Lazy troll is lazy.

Considering this is the second time that Choco has been Sheedy's 2IC, I daresay he knew what he was getting himself into before time.

That being said, my question is more about GWS sticking with Sheedy as senior coach for next year if Williams really wants to be the senior coach there. Not sure about the wisdom in it. It would have to be the most coveted senior role in the business, especially since the overall quality of the youngsters has been revealed to some degree.

Not sure Choco has the public personality to head up GWS just as Horse is no Roosy - 2 x low profile public faces in the Sydney market would not sit well at AFL HQ.

I'd be surprised if he went next year. Is a big family man and probably wouldn't want to uproot them twice in the space of three years. If the pay/lifestyle was a big upgrade, then yeah, but he seems happy with the amount of responsibility he's getting.

2014, very possible, I think he'll move eventually if he doesn't get the senior role in his sights, but I think he'll see out his contract.

His wife may not like Sydney but his daughter likes Dylan Shiel...
Well Dylan Shiel can come to Richmond with them.
Problem solved

This is a bit rich coming from a supporter whose coach has a 2-time premiership coach for an assistant. Good grief.

You do know that other people work at the club aside from Dimma? What it shows is that both Dimma and the club trust each other enough to appoint an ex-senior coach to this kind of role. If Dimma was at all worried this wouldn't be happening.

Can't see why he'd want to swap a development role at GWS (which is what coaching that side basically is) for a development role at the Tigers.

Money, probably. Which is as good a reason as any, I guess.

Probably for a number of reasons - apparently his family (wife) hasn't settled there. Chance to come to Melbourne where he can get more media interest and probably also for some extra coin.

Yes. If he wanted to coach surely he'd go for the Carlton gig

He seems a knob, so I'm not thrilled, but he obviously is very talented with younger blokes so I suppose I should look beyond his personality as it appears to me.

We tried to get Craig last year.

Dimma's idea, and obviously planning for success. OK I guess, though Knights would be my preference - he's excellent as a development coach.

He may take over coaching responsibilities at our magoos in 2014.

Our Fighting Tiger Fund, so wonderfully supported by us, was established to enable us to bolster our player development staff and I guess he's about the best out there.

Would just prefer someone who isn't a knob

Not sure Choco has the public personality to head up GWS just as Horse is no Roosy - 2 x low profile public faces in the Sydney market would not sit well at AFL HQ.

Are you ****ing serious?

Choco had the media wrapped around his finger during the majority of his time at Port. Was a pretty entertaining performer in interviews etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Age: Williams to Punt Road

Remove this Banner Ad

Back