The All-Night GF Eve GF Replay Marathon - Where's It Gone ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 instituion, and Ch 10 too lazy to do one themselves (pathetic considering its their last AFL broadcast, would have a few cracker finals that they could show that they produced from 2002). Here's a line up from such games...

02 GF - Bris v Coll
03 QF - Port v Syd
04 EF - Ess v Melb
04 PF - Port v Stk
05 QF - WC v Syd
05 SF - Syd v Geel (Nick Davis)
05 GF - Syd v WC
06 QF - WC v Syd
06 GF - WC v Syd
07 EF - Haw v Adel (Buddy)
09 SF - Coll V Adel (Right in front of me)
09 GF - Geel v Stk
10 SF - WB v Syd
11 SF - WC v Carl

I believe there is a program on Fox Sports 1 - "Classic Grand Finals" - which goes from 4:30am to 6:30am. Doubt I will last the night.

I used to like watching the marathon once upon a time. The Channel 7 version became particularly tedious because they used to play the same ones (1966, 1970, 1977) over and over again and I eventually stopped watching them.

I used to like watching the marathon once upon a time. The Channel 7 version became particularly tedious because they used to play the same ones (1966, 1970, 1977) over and over again and I eventually stopped watching them.

True, that was the one negative about the marathons, as time went on, the same games kept getting selected... here are some others that made me groan when they showed up

96 QF - Bris v Ess
96 PF - Syd v Ess
97 PF - Adel v WB

How about some more osbcure finals games, say the 91 EF - Geel v Stk

Athough I have to admit, the 99 Prelim never gets old, no matter how many times it gets run

Ch 7 instituion, and Ch 10 too lazy to do one themselves (pathetic considering its their last AFL broadcast, would have a few cracker finals that they could show that they produced from 2002). Here's a line up from such games...

02 GF - Bris v Coll
03 QF - Port v Syd
04 EF - Ess v Melb
04 PF - Port v Stk
05 QF - WC v Syd
05 SF - Syd v Geel (Nick Davis)
05 GF - Syd v WC
06 QF - WC v Syd
06 GF - WC v Syd
07 EF - Haw v Adel (Buddy)
09 SF - Coll V Adel (Right in front of me)
09 GF - Geel v Stk
10 SF - WB v Syd
11 SF - WC v Carl

I think Channel 10 don't give a F**k about there AFL Coverage once they lost it

Is there nothing sacred in football these days though ??

All night footy marathon followed by the Nth Melb breakfast followed by the U/19's GF, then the magoos and then the big one.

Couldn't see the TV screen by 3/4 time but it was a great weekend, especially if you wanted to watch Bathurst on the Sunday.

True, that was the one negative about the marathons, as time went on, the same games kept getting selected... here are some others that made me groan when they showed up

96 QF - Bris v Ess
96 PF - Syd v Ess
97 PF - Adel v WB

Athought I have to admit, the 99 Prelim never gets old.

Thing is, the original marathons were mostly GF's and the occasional PF if is was a cracker. Sometimes they would show a whole second half as well which made it worth watching.

The last time I can remember one vividly Paul Salmon was the host.

In this day and age, who doesn't have access to all their favourite games to make their own marathon to suit their tastes?

I am going with:

2010 PF - Coll v Geelong
2010 GF1 - Coll v St Kilda
2010 GF2 - Coll v St Kilda
2011 Nab Cup GF - Coll v Essendon
2011 PF - Coll v Hawthorn

In this day and age, who doesn't have access to all their favourite games to make their own marathon to suit their tastes?

I am going with:

2010 PF - Coll v Geelong
2010 GF1 - Coll v St Kilda
2010 GF2 - Coll v St Kilda
2011 Nab Cup GF - Coll v Essendon
2011 PF - Coll v Hawthorn

Yeah well, I suppose you have to do that, there normally isn't a lot of joy in watching a GF marathon from a Collingwood perspective. :p

Mostly do it because I want to see our current premiership players at their best, build some hope for watching em in tomorrows grand final, I suppose Carlton supporters do not have that option :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The 84 and 89 GFs always used to get a run.

I would like to see it return to free to air but rather than show the whole game, just show the last qtr, that way you can squeeze more teams in throughout the night. Last night on Foxtel, they showed both GF's from last yr, great if you are a pie fan but not so great for everyone else. That's 3 hours in the night wasted on one year/one team.

Doing my own mini marathon this morning just watching the last quarter from 2002 now - just played Rocca's goal that wasn't - Pies fans how can you seriously claim that decision cost the flag there was still 15 minutes on the clock when that happened and Fraser kicked a goal a minute later to pretty much nullify Rocca's non-goal.

Doing my own mini marathon this morning just watching the last quarter from 2002 now - just played Rocca's goal that wasn't - Pies fans how can you seriously claim that decision cost the flag there was still 15 minutes on the clock when that happened and Fraser kicked a goal a minute later to pretty much nullify Rocca's non-goal.

the real problem was that Tarrant should have got a free kick in front of goals, didn't, balled raced up the other end where Lynch got a soft one. That cost us the flag.

I remember when Channel 7 use to show the previous grand finals then go to the North Melbourne breakfast why can't 7 go back to how it use to and show it now it doesn't feel like grand final day and also why can't they get the under 18's to play as well as the VFL before the main game like they did with the under 19's and reserves.

Seeing as CH7 has the broadcast rights exclusively next year, I'm going to apply directly to them to not only host the Grand Final Marathon, but I'll even handpick what gets shown so that all of the teams are represented.

There would also be competitions & quizzes during the night plus special guests, make it worth sitting up and watching.

Reckon it'd go all right and be a good lead-in to the North Melbourne (or whoever it is) Breakfast which is shown live too.

Tune in next yeat for THE SHEIK'S Grand Final Casbah !!

Anyone know if Ch 7 will be doing the GF marathon on GF eve?

I really wish they would go back to the old format of showing any final, not just GFs... otherwise we are going to be stuck with the same GF footage year and year and it will just get stale.

The market specific GFs shown in the lead up to the main marathon last year was a neat idea as a one off, but was sort of fail in the Sydney market, as they got Syd v WC from '05 twice as a result.

Would wish they mix it up a bit.

I have just looked at an online TV guide and there is no all-night GF replay marathon on around the country.

What's happened to this fine tradition - gone the way of the dodo ??
The same way the Herald's Saturday late edition had the 'Stop Press' with all the VFL scores.

I wish they would do "That Was the Season That Was"

Why the hell did they ever stop producing these and why don't they bring them back? I have most of them from 1978 until about 2001 I think - I know they probably stopped when Channel 7 lost the rights but seriously, they really need to bring something like this back. Is great to pull out the old ones now and then and relive some of the stuff that gets forgotten about or just see the best highlights of the year.

I wish they would do "That Was the Season That Was"

"The 90s - The Decade That Was" is a bloody amazing DVD. Goes in depth for every single season, highlights, news stories, you name it. I think it went for upwards of 3 hours.

Whereas "The Noughties" was a piece of crap compilation with pointless interviews and people sitting on the fence.

The saddest part is that Channel Seven really used to care about the footy

Remove this Banner Ad

The All-Night GF Eve GF Replay Marathon - Where's It Gone ??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back