The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

All 18 clubs did business.

4 clubs brought in players and lost no one. (NM, Fremantle, Haw, Geel).
4 clubs let players go and brought in no one. (Rich, BL, Syd, Ess).

In no particular order I'd say Richmond did very well. Very strong draft hand for this year, which they can also pick trade into next year to spread out the list build. Would be hoping to get 4-5 200 gamers onto the list. Hawthorn also did well. Have little in terms of draft hand but found 2 key pieces that fill areas of weakness, and make them a far better unit in 2025.

Carlton and NM for mine are a watch. Think Haynes has not much footy left, but they also lost little of note. A lot depends on what pick 3 becomes, as well as Camporeale F/S, overall getting pick 3 wasn't as big a steal as is made out, still a good deal but it is 2x R1 and 1 F2 out the door to get it.

North finished bottom 4 and have pick 2 and nothing else before 60. Daniel, Darling and Parker need to provide solid senior experience for it to be a good period given this.

Ditto Adelaide. I'm sure their fans will be expecting finals in 2025 under Nicks but like North have a top pick and nothing before 60 after that. Do Peatling, Cumming and ANB move the needle. I'm not sold they do comparatively to the rest of the comp. 2024 finalists have improved and non finalists like Coll, Fremantle have made more substantial improvements.

Losers would have to be Port Adelaide and West Coast.

Port now have Lukosius and Ratugolea eating up 1.5m of cap space and yet neither probably answer their forward or defensive issues. Folding like a cheap suit on Houston, who had 3 years to run was staggeringly bad business. Overall weaker next year than this one imo.

West Coast not only also folded cheaply on Barrass with multiple years left but also gave up pick 3 very cheaply, traded out valuable draft capital while rebuilding, confusingly also trading in two players 27-28yo, both of which are role players, this is what clubs gearing up to contend do. Confusing business.

Essendon are losers through inactivity, missed finals, have no R1 pick and sat on their hands and did nothing. Not confident their list has enough organic growth to take the next step without offseason trading. Who replaced Stringer's goals..

As for my own club. Have a weak draft hand for this year, will hope to find a gem or two of course. But secured a known talent with 10 years of footy left while preserving next year's draft hand. Pick 17 may be a good player, we've got more certainty with Smith instead. Happy enough overall.

Last edited:
Sad to see Macrae and Daniel go, great servants.

Glad I don't have to pretend to like Smith anymore.

Kennedy sounds a decent role player.

Yeah, he is. The pick back was right on Matthew’s value, so everyone is happy.

Although it will likely be absorbed by a Ben/Lucas Camporeale bid, from SOS. He’s going to try to get one on Carlton for the rest of his career. Good luck I guess. 😂

All 18 clubs did business.

4 clubs brought in players and lost no one. (WCE, Fremantle, Haw, Geel).
4 clubs let players go and brought in no one. (Rich, BL, Syd, Ess).

In no particular order I'd say Richmond did very well. Very strong draft hand for this year, which they can also pick trade into next year to spread out the list build. Would be hoping to get 4-5 200 gamers onto the list. Hawthorn also did well. Have little in terms of draft hand but found 2 key pieces that fill areas of weakness, and make them a far better unit in 2025.

Carlton and NM for mine are a watch. Think Haynes has not much footy left, but they also lost little of note. A lot depends on what pick 3 becomes, as well as Camporeale F/S, overall getting pick 3 wasn't as big a steal as is made out, still a good deal but it is 2x R1 and 1 F2 out the door to get it.

North finished bottom 4 and have pick 2 and nothing else before 60. Daniel, Darling and Parker need to provide solid senior experience for it to be a good period given this.

Ditto Adelaide. I'm sure their fans will be expecting finals in 2025 under Nicks but like North have a top pick and nothing before 60 after that. Do Peatling, Cumming and ANB move the needle. I'm not sold they do comparatively to the rest of the comp. 2024 finalists have improved and non finalists like Coll, Fremantle have made more substantial improvements.

Losers would have to be Port Adelaide and West Coast.

Port now have Lukosius and Ratugolea eating up 1.5m of cap space and yet neither probably answer their forward or defensive issues. Folding like a cheap suit on Houston, who had 3 years to run was staggeringly bad business. Overall weaker next year than this one imo.

West Coast not only also folded cheaply on Barrass with multiple years left but also gave up pick 3 very cheaply, traded out valuable draft capital while rebuilding, confusingly also trading in two players 27-28yo, both of which are role players, this is what clubs gearing up to contend do. Confusing business.

Essendon are losers through inactivity, missed finals, have no R1 pick and sat on their hands and did nothing. Not confident their list has enough organic growth to take the next step without offseason trading. Who replaced Stringer's goals..

As for my own club. Have a weak draft hand for this year, will hope to find a gem or two of course. But secured a known talent with 10 years of footy left while preserving next year's draft hand. Pick 17 may be a good player, we've got more certainty with Smith instead. Happy enough overall.

WCE lost no one?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back