The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

As for more recent news.

Where's the AFLPA on this GWS scandal? Haven't heard boo from you know who.

The suspensions seem way over the top. No doubting the ideas were severely lacking in class/taste but missing 4 games for that seems excessive to me.

Also curious as to how you give Cooper Hamilton a 2 game suspension when he's not currently a listed player.

As for more recent news.

Where's the AFLPA on this GWS scandal? Haven't heard boo from you know who.

The suspensions seem way over the top. No doubting the ideas were severely lacking in class/taste but missing 4 games for that seems excessive to me.

Also curious as to how you give Cooper Hamilton a 2 game suspension when he's not currently a listed player.

I guess because there's a chance he gets re-listed and they can't punish him later.

I tend to agree that I think it should be GWS facing sanctions/punishments from the AFL for either OK-ing the theme or not knowing about it, and it should be for GWS to then punish the players as they see fit.

Similar with the Tom Morris stuff from a while back, I find it a bit weird that the world's in a place now where things said privately or in a context that you don't think will be made public can now be something you get punished for, but I do accept the other perspective that people should always be accountable for what they say/do, so I guess I see both sides, but lean in your camp that these punishments seem excessive for what was a private function where no illegal activity occurred. While it's distasteful making a joke about violence against women by simulating rape on a sex doll, for example, I think the reaction to it is over the top.

I guess because there's a chance he gets re-listed and they can't punish him later.

I tend to agree that I think it should be GWS facing sanctions/punishments from the AFL for either OK-ing the theme or not knowing about it, and it should be for GWS to then punish the players as they see fit.

Similar with the Tom Morris stuff from a while back, I find it a bit weird that the world's in a place now where things said privately or in a context that you don't think will be made public can now be something you get punished for, but I do accept the other perspective that people should always be accountable for what they say/do, so I guess I see both sides, but lean in your camp that these punishments seem excessive for what was a private function where no illegal activity occurred. While it's distasteful making a joke about violence against women by simulating rape on a sex doll, for example, I think the reaction to it is over the top.
Yeah probably right. Wonder if this makes it less likely for him to be picked up now.

I touched on it last year but I think it's long past time that clubs hold these events on club property. While it was a private function, it was still a public workplace for those that were working on the day.

Not sure who came up with the theme but they were asking for trouble with it.

Yeah probably right. Wonder if this makes it less likely for him to be picked up now.

I touched on it last year but I think it's long past time that clubs hold these events on club property. While it was a private function, it was still a public workplace for those that were working on the day.

Not sure who came up with the theme but they were asking for trouble with it.

Yeah dunno how the club's brass escape punishment when surely they had to OK the theme.

But that's why he is sanctioned though. He did something while on an AFL list
I don't disagree with him being punished, it should clearly be financial though given his circumstances.

Out of interest, would he need to serve the suspension if he signed up to a VFL team? Or in a local comp?

Yeah dunno how the club's brass escape punishment when surely they had to OK the theme.
Think they're claiming they knew nothing about it. Even a couple of the senior players weren't there.

I'm torn on that as well. Seems stupid not to have HR/upper management ok the plan for what they know will be a big day.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have to babysit a group of men for an afternoon of drinking.

Think this kind of thing will always happen though. We had it with the booze cruise, the Saints setting the guy on fire etc etc. Footballers just don't seem to be the brightest bunch.

Think they're claiming they knew nothing about it. Even a couple of the senior players weren't there.

I'm torn on that as well. Seems stupid not to have HR/upper management ok the plan for what they know will be a big day.

On the other hand, you shouldn't have to babysit a group of men for an afternoon of drinking.

Think this kind of thing will always happen though. We had it with the booze cruise, the Saints setting the guy on fire etc etc. Footballers just don't seem to be the brightest bunch.

Personally as long as nothing illegal is being done and the intention isn't for things to be made public then I don't really have an issue with what they get up to. It's like the guy filming Ginnivan or whoever it was in the bathroom stall, dunno how that's ok.

Personally as long as nothing illegal is being done and the intention isn't for things to be made public then I don't really have an issue with what they get up to. It's like the guy filming Ginnivan or whoever it was in the bathroom stall, dunno how that's ok.
Think it was Ginnivan filming McStay and his missus

i mean in this day and age what do you expect? if you're gonna have a 'private' event, it has to be done privately. as soon as you take a phone out or go to a place that isnt the club or someone's house, it's not really private anymore. plus it's not like its a couple of jokes or remarks, obviously a lot of planning and effort went into this. no idea why anyone thought going to the lengths it sounds like they went to was a good idea.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Essendon are losers through inactivity, missed finals, have no R1 pick and sat on their hands and did nothing. Not confident their list has enough organic growth to take the next step without offseason trading. Who replaced Stringer's goals..
what?
We have no R1 pick because it was going to be eaten by a Kako bid, so we've put ourselves in a position to either take two first rounders next year and get a top end prospect this year, or trade back into the first round after that bid comes.

what?
We have no R1 pick because it was going to be eaten by a Kako bid, so we've put ourselves in a position to either take two first rounders next year and get a top end prospect this year, or trade back into the first round after that bid comes.
I think you're quietly doing a mini reset and that's fine but you've have lost 42 goals also off the list, and imo won't be better in 2025 than 2024. Rosa's language is even conditioning bombers fan for this eventuality and softening them fanbase up for a middling 2025.

It's a loss on the basis that Essendon have been building a list for a while now, haven't played much finals lately and clubs around them have all improved their lists. Most finalists have improved their lists as well. So can't see 2025 being better than 2024.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back