The Big Alberton FL Issue Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Yarram to forfeit

What a load of shit. Catani's population should not allow it to compete against some of the bigger towns, yet that club is run better than any other and as a result it is one of the powerhouse teams in the league.

It says more clubs are going to forfeit, i feel sorry for the poor wonthagggi players that will miss out on playing. Why not just leave it to the proper authorities to resolve.

Just a quick question. Did Wonthaggi win the flag last year and if so by how much and were they undefeated?

The VCFL are now in a very awkward position. If they back down and kick Wonthaggi out of the league they will set a precedent where any small club that doesn't want a big club in their league will just forfeit.

On the other hand if they don't do anything the rest of the season could become a farce.

Why did wonthaggi go back to alberton a few years ago if they were playing in WGLF grand finals?

Press release from the Yarram Football Club

The Yarram Football and Netball Clubs will forfeit all games against Wonthaggi Football and Netball clubs this Saturday, May 17th. The Clubs have regretfully taken this drastic action in response to the continued ongoing participation of the Wonthaggi Football Club in the Alberton Football League.
It is a matter of public record and accepted by the wider football and sporting communities that Wonthaggi Football Club is unsuited to the Alberton League having far greater human, physical and financial resources than all other Alberton League Clubs. It is impossible for the small clubs to compete against this might and we have grave fears for the short, medium and long term future of several clubs if this unbalanced situation is allowed to continue. Our action is endorsed by the membership of our clubs, the players and many of the Alberton League?s football and netball clubs. We have also received support from football administrators beyond club level. The many expressions of support we have received are indeed gratifying. Whilst our players are disappointed at not playing, as is their nature, they understand and support the bigger and more important issues involved. This decision is not taken lightly and goes against the very fibre of our clubs? hearts, but we are committed to this action for the greater good. It should be noted that we will not be the only Alberton League Club to take this action in season 2008. A clear and immediate resolution to the current untenable solution is required and we hope that this regrettable action will be the catalyst for this outcome.
Tell me if l am wrong, but after Wonthaggi, Phillip island,korumburra, would Yarram be the next biggest town? what do they want too do win every premiership with Wonthaggi out of the way, l think what Yarram has done is as weak as piss, and have gone about it the wrong way, and l hope it backfires on them , and by the way l am not a Wonthaggi Supporter, just a football lover, remember what goes around comes around . :mad::mad::mad:

Wonthaggi could have won the flag last year and if they were pushed, could be winning this one by a lot more. I think they've tried to lay low to stay in the league and just doing enough to be favourites for the flag.

We played them in a practice match this year and they had a lot of good players all over the park. They would beat Cora Lynn pretty comfortably as with every other side. It's not about bigger and smaller, it's about how much bigger and how much smaller.

It's like Pakenham joining Ellinbank. Not only is the senior team a lot better, but they have a junior system and fundraising opportunites which will never be matched by the smaller towns.

I think the Wonthaggi committee wants things to remain easy. Perhaps fighting a legal battle to stay is easier than having to fight hard to compete like everyone else does in a more suitable competition.

Goal sneak i agree that it is weak as piss for yarram to forfeit tomoro, but you cant really compare yarram to catani. Yes catani would be alot smaller town and are still successful but they are alot closer to melb and have opportunties to attract players from close by. Yarram is very isolated and therefore only has a very small area to gain players from. It does seem very poor for yarram to forfeit given they won the flag last year, doesn't give a good impression about the club.

Goal sneak i agree that it is weak as piss for yarram to forfeit tomoro, but you cant really compare yarram to catani. Yes catani would be alot smaller town and are still successful but they are alot closer to melb and have opportunties to attract players from close by. Yarram is very isolated and therefore only has a very small area to gain players from. It does seem very poor for yarram to forfeit given they won the flag last year, doesn't give a good impression about the club.
You are spot on steam. It does seem a bit rich for the reigning premiers to be forfeiting, particularly given they are a reasonable size town themselves (even thought they also provide a lot of players to DWWWW and Woodside). Probably a more meaningful statement if one of the smaller less successful clubs did it. Gives the VCFL an opportunity to just dismiss the stand as the riegning premiers being upset that they will not win the flag this year.

Tell me if l am wrong, but after Wonthaggi, Phillip island,korumburra, would Yarram be the next biggest town?

Phillip Island 7100+
Wonthaggi 6530
Korumburra 4500
Inverloch 4100
Foster 2175
Yarram 1780
Meeniyan/Stony Creek 1040
Bass 940
Fish Creek 720
Dayston 480
Toora 480
Woodside 260
Welshpool 150
Tarwin Lower 115

Phillip Island 7100+
Wonthaggi 6530
Korumburra 4500
Inverloch 4100
Foster 2175
Yarram 1780
Meeniyan/Stony Creek 1040
Bass 940
Fish Creek 720
Dayston 480
Toora 480
Woodside 260
Welshpool 150
Tarwin Lower 115
Don't forget Devon, it must have a good dozen or so people.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Phillip Island a traditionally successful club? I would imagine a large portion of the 7100+ is retirees? Will they be the next team targeted if Wonthaggi get kicked out?

To be honest I dont know as they have only been in our comp for a couple of years however they may present an issue down the road as their juniors have dominated in the pas few seasons. The way the place is growing it would be good to see a 2nd team come out of Newhaven or San Remo in the near future.

Do you think that Wonthaggi splitting into two teams and both playing in Alberton would be accepted by the other clubs? Not that they would ever want to do that.

Do you think that Wonthaggi splitting into two teams and both playing in Alberton would be accepted by the other clubs? Not that they would ever want to do that.

I couldnt see it happening in the current climate. Most clubs didnt have an issue with the Blues coming back from the WGLFL as they were struggling to put junior teams on the park, it was the fact they merged and played in the Alberton. Had the two clubs remained separate the talent pool would have been watered down.

it would be like dusties & warragul merging 2-3 years ago when dusties were competitive & then playing in the ellinbank league.

you would not have got near them.

well, nyora may have.

Won Wron lost all its population when they closed the prison.

But seriously.

Im not sure of all the legalities of what I am about to type, but......

If all the other clubs wanted Wonthaggi out. Wouldnt it be easier to just leave the Alberton Football League (All clubs except Wonthaggi), forcing the disbandment of the competition. They could then set up a new league (maybe the South Coast Football League) and have all clubs provide an application to that comp. Wonthaggi would not be accepted due to the items that others have mentioned above. (ie population economics etc).

Wonthaggi would then be forced to seek affiliation with another comp, namely the WGLFL.

I dont know, the legalities of this are a bit up in the air, but maybe there is something that could happen in regards to this.

I dont support clubs forfieting.

The VCFL have had all the time in the world to deal with this problem, the forfeiting issue was first raised last year.Good on Yarram for making a stand, it will be interesting to see what the big wigs at the VCFL do about the issue now. One thing i think everyone forgets with the Wonthaggi issue is that while some clubs can compete with them now they cant sustain it. Foster have changed their tune from wanting Wonthaggi to stay because they arrogantly thought they could compete with them, now 2 years and no cash later they are struggling themselves and want them out. Almost all of the clubs are living beyond their means in an attempt to keep up, if they dont try and be competitive blokes will bugger off as nobody likes getting belted each week. In the long run clubs will start disappearing all over the place because they dont have the funds to compete.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Big Alberton FL Issue Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back