Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Who was better?

• Bruce Doull

Votes: 17 85.0%
  • Stephen Silvagni

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think i would be in the bottom half of fans for both of these guys.

Fraser was , in the words of the great Captain Blood, a good average player imo. I'm not really a fan of average mids who put together a fairly good CV. It's not that hard to do. Comparatively speaking of course.

Lappin did have match winning ability, but like most flankers he went quiet a fair bit too. The best flankers nearly always found a way to impact nearly all the time.

I would give this one to Lappin. An excellent mark, could kick a semi regular bag and had to be minded by the oppo.

Bloody tough to split these two.

On one hand, taking a mate to Carlton Vs Essendon and him watching a bloke his size take that screamer and play the way he did was influential in making him a Carlton fan for life...

Lappin was a crowd favorite who always put his body on the line. A quick thinker and a super agile player who I feel extracted the best from himself and gave his teammates a sense of urgency freakish small forwards do.

On the other, I remember with fondness much more of Fraser's second half of his career than the struggling to crack the 20 first years. Some may say Lappin had that experience before he got to us.

Brown's doggedness and passion made him an important player on a premiership team - I'll forever know what a hyperbaric chamber is because of him - who was part of a more successful, premiership winning, team.

Finally, that tackle on Dean Wallis, even if it was just a calculated guess on his part (something he himself says) put an almost unstopable *FC away. Without that tackle we're quite likely behind the cheats on premierships. North were terrified of Essendon.

Therefore, the premiership legend and the cheat stopper it is.

Last edited:
Judging by the fact that 30 of 36 (I think that was the final tally) reckon they saw Big Nick play, I think we have scared off most of the "younger posters".
I know we have some abstainers, but that figure is surely not representative of the general demographics of this board?

Geez, I was terrified to start posting because I thought I was too old. This place is better than Cocoon for the self esteem of the elderly :)

Not your fault, but your username does my head in.

My mum used to work with Earl Spalding about 25 years ago.

So every time I see you post, all I can think of is Earl S's mother..... seriously!

Not your fault, but your username does my head in.

My mum used to work with Earl Spalding about 25 years ago.

So every time I see you post, all I can think of is Earl S's mother..... seriously!

When we win our next flag, I will rename myself after a significant, game-defining act.

You'll have to put up with it until at least October!

When we win our next flag, I will rename myself after a significant, game-defining act.

You'll have to put up with it until at least October!

I look forward to it, Walsh's 45th disposal....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was a cracking contest. Fraser Brown with the upset win 23-19, to progress through to R2.

I loved both of them and whilst I voted for Skinny, Brown is one of my all time favourite players. Just love the way he played the game, and of course, who could forget that tackle?

Fraser takes on Chris Judd in round 2.

Next H2H up shortly.

That was a cracking contest. Fraser Brown with the upset win 23-19, to progress through to R2.

I loved both of them and whilst I voted for Skinny, Brown is one of my all time favourite players. Just love the way he played the game, and of course, who could forget that tackle?

Fraser takes on Chris Judd in round 2.

Next H2H up shortly.
Brown scrapes his way past Skinny only to come up against the Rolls Royce. Damn.

Time for our next poll:

Brendan Fevola vs Sergio Silvagni

For those who need a reminder...

Brendan Fevola
204 games (187 for Carlton)
623 goals (575 for Carlton)
Coleman Medal - 2006, 2009
All-Australian - 2006, 2008, 2009
Carlton leading goalkicker - 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009

Sergio Silvagni
239 games
136 goals
Premiership player - 1968, 1970
Best & Fairest - 1962, 1968
Carlton Team of the Century
Leading goalkicker - 1959
Captain - 1964
Carlton Hall of Fame inductee - 1989, elevated to legend status in 2016
Father of Stephen, Grandfather of Jack and Ben

fevola.jpg VS sergesilvagni.jpg

Who are you voting for?

This ones easy for me, Serge was a great player over a long career. Couldn't beat me in a race but he knew how to find the ball and who will ever forget his third quater in the 1970 grand final. It wasn't Hopkins that won us the flag, he was on the end of what Serge did.

Fevola had a lot of tricks and i loved watching him play for us but, there was a reason why he didn't finish his career with us.

Even though i think Fevola will win this, Serge is my man. I also had him no 15 in my top 16.

Cannot vote as only seen one of them play myself
From grainy black and white footage. Serg looks like was a very good mark for his size and put body over ball and hard working contested beast ruck rover of that era. But never seen him play myself. Fev a flawed but talented full forward. Bit like Allen Jakovich of 90's. Never won a B&F in very poor era for club which is telling. If you saw Serg play you must be well over 65 years of age as it seems he played from mid or late 50's to around 1970ish. He actually won B&F's though. One of them in a premiership year for club. Telling.
Be interested how many of you old enough to see both to have a legit match up vote. This is not a good match up for such a voting system but it is what it is. Look forward to next match up I can vote on.

Last edited:
Have to abstain from voting on this one as Serge was well before my time.

Fev huh................Fev.

Fev had extraordinary talent. He put the numbers on the board for a full forward. He gave the live crowds many memorable performances.

But Fev huh........Fev.

Brendan Fevola is imo the most destructive player, to his own club, to ever pull the jumper on. He was an incredibly immature and celf centred pied piper. Many fans love Fev. That will never change. But i aint one of em.

Fev by a country mile.

Watched some highlights of serge and a replay of 1970 GF. I was looking to see what he was good at but nothing obvious stood out. However, he must have been a good player to have played for as long as he did and be part of 2 GF wins.

He's a member of our team of the century.

I never saw him play but I'd say he was better than a good player.

Cannot vote as only seen one of them play myself
From grainy black and white footage. Serg looks like was a very good mark for his size and put body over ball and hard working contested beast ruck rover of that era. But never seen him play myself. Fev a flawed but talented full forward. Bit like Allen Jakovich of 90's. Never won a B&F in very poor era for club which is telling. If you saw Serg play you must be well over 65 years of age as it seems he played from mid or late 50's to around 1970ish. He actually won B&F's though. One of them in a premiership year for club. Telling.
Be interested how many of you old enough to see both to have a legit match up vote. This is not a good match up for such a voting system but it is what it is. Look forward to next match up I can vote on.
I'm in between 65 and 67.

I'm in between 65 and 67.
Wow, you lucky old bastard. So you basically started following when we improving from a bleak period for club, saw a drought breaking premiership in 1968 and all the golden era from 1968 to 1987.
It is people like you, I most look forward to hearing from in this thread as you are likely to have seen every player that will be in these match ups so truly got the best situation to vote on them all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club History The Carlton GOAT - NOW VOTING!

Back