The coach or the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
So in the last quarter we kick the first goal.

Ball goes back to centre square. The game is now officially UP FOR GRABS.

Yes, somehow, mystifyingly, mind bogglingly, at this, the most important set up of the game, we allow Gary Ablett Jnr to stand goal side all alone, with nobody within 5 metres of him.

Now, Scott, for all his failings, won't have instructed that. No. But at the same time, Ablett didn't have an absolute hard go every with him tag either.

But what are the players doing? Did none of them notice the best player in the game all by himself with an open path to goal?

If the truth be told both the coach and players are responsible for the rot we witnessed against the GC. But it has to be said that the buck stops with the coach.

Swallow was Ablett's direct opponent at the bounce. You can blame Swallow but you can also blame Scott for not placing a hard tag on Ablett. When has Swallow ever tagged? Sure every player has to have a defensive side but shit who on here would have thought it a good move to have Swallow on Ablett?

Its on all of them.

There have been some truly baffling coaching moves and there have been some equally baffling efforts from the players.

People need to be dropped and the coach and what he is doing needs to be reviewed.

We had Leigh Matthews speak at the coterie event the other day, we should call him back up and get him to come in and consult on our current coaching set up and practices. What we had Parkin do a couple of years ago.

Surely the players know, regardless whether the coach tells them to or not, not to leave Ablett all alone in the centre with the game up for grabs? That seems obvious to me.

It's then about who stands up and takes responsibility for it.

I noticed that and said to my gf ablett will clear this ball out. It is the coaches fault for not telling the players to at least stand next to ablett, it was like this the whole game. If brad told his players but no one listened then players need to be dropped.

I noticed that and said to my gf ablett will clear this ball out. It is the coaches fault for not telling the players to at least stand next to ablett, it was like this the whole game. If brad told his players but no one listened then players need to be dropped.

No. I don't buy this. Good players understand whats going on around them and adapt to the situation and don't need to be told what to do.

But but but goldy was winning the tap outs to ****ing no one all night.
All our blokes were underneath goldys toes as planned.
Pathetic gameplan in the wet is pathetic.
We have become a rubics cube that's all the one color.

That's what I've been saying all along...drop the players involved until they do what they are told to do. Abletts goal in the last quarter was the result of Swallow not doing what he was told to do.......stay on Ablett. When the ball got bounced he left Ablett and went straight into the middle leaving Ablett by himself. If our Captain can't do what he's told then what hope has everyone else. Certain players will not be dropped >period! While people will be calling for major changes against Freo this won't happen as team stability is important so l can see at the most 3 changes.

Surely the players know, regardless whether the coach tells them to or not, not to leave Ablett all alone in the centre with the game up for grabs? That seems obvious to me.

It's then about who stands up and takes responsibility for it.

I agree with this 100%. The reality is that our list and gameplan has almost got us over the line this year against some very highly rated opposition.
There is no doubt that work needs to be done on defensive side of the game, particularly through the midfield, but in my view the biggest issue is the lack of onfield leadership and the willingness of individuals to put their hand up and be accountable. It's a sad indictment on Boomer in particular. Personally, I feel that he was reluctant to hand over the captaincy and offers Swallow SFA in mentoring as captain. We needed Jack out there and for what it's worth, I always felt that JZ should have been made captain ahead of Spitta.

It's the coach and the players. In fact I've read every BF post about last night's game and, given us BF posters are seldom wrong, I have now got the definitive list on whose fault it is that this season has gone down the crapper.

The coach
The captain
The assistant coaches
The leadership group
All other NMFC players
All opposition players
The president
The ex-coach
The umpires
The CEO
The club doctor
The ex-CEO
The match-review panel
The rules committee
The ex-president
The groundsmen who did up the surface at Aegis Park
The guy who left the roof open at Etihad Stadium
The old ladies at the Peninsula Supporters Group
The guy who dresses up as Barry Cracker
The cheer squad
The carbon tax
All West Coast Eagles supporters
Stephen Dank
All BF posters.

I may have missed one or two people but they're the main ones.

Yes, somehow, mystifyingly, mind bogglingly, at this, the most important set up of the game, we allow Gary Ablett Jnr to stand goal side all alone, with nobody within 5 metres of him.

Now, Scott, for all his failings, won't have instructed that. No. But at the same time, Ablett didn't have an absolute hard go every with him tag either.

But what are the players doing? Did none of them notice the best player in the game all by himself with an open path to goal?

That goal was solely on Mullett's head. Cunners left his man (Ablett) to attack the ball carrier (as no one else looked like they would) Ablett sneaks out the back and Mullett inexplicably does not leave his man (Patrick I think it was who was having a shocker) to put pressure on the best player in the comp who was having a shot from the second he got the ball with 15 metres of space around him.

Mullett needed to apply the forward pressure not letting Ablett within 60 metres of goal. Young kid, hopefully learns.

It's the coach and the players. In fact I've read every BF post about last night's game and, given us BF posters are seldom wrong, I have now got the definitive list on whose fault it is that this season has gone down the crapper.

The coach
The captain
The assistant coaches
The leadership group
All other NMFC players
All opposition players
The president
The ex-coach
The umpires
The CEO
The club doctor
The ex-CEO
The match-review panel
The rules committee
The ex-president
The cheer squad
The carbon tax
Stephen Dank
All BF posters.

You forgot to mention the gas outage that cost us the '98 premiership...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lingy said the majority of the night the players were told to man up, especially on the loose man? Why were such basic instructions not followed?

Just narrowing MM's (pretty accurate) list there:
- the players. A lack of on-field leadership. A lack of urgency in chasing and tackling. The absence of a "Type A" personality, who wants the ball in his hands.*
- the coach. This has been going on for long enough to have fixed it by now. I've been a fan since he was rumoured to be a candidate for the job, but there is a message not getting through to the players. Last night was the most obvious - Ling was a witness to him imploring the players to man up. You could see him bashing the review screen at half time. If the players aren't playing to instructions after all this time, something has to change.
- Generation Y - you might want to add that one Mastermind. Half of the people on BF fall into this category, so take a bloody look at yourselves as well. WE DON'T KNOW HOW TO GET THROUGH TO YOU!!! JUST ****ING TRY, YOU MIGHT NOT EVEN GET HURT AS MUCH AS YOU BLOODY THINK!!!!**

* I think Black is Type A and look forward to his development. I think Ziebell is too.
** Most of Sydney are Gen Y, so year of birth might not be the only reason here. Still you are ****ing confusing people to deal with.

Lingy said the majority of the night the players were told to man up, especially on the loose man? Why were such basic instructions not followed?

Nah, coaches fault. You want someone to be accountable, tell someone directly!

Swallow was playing on Ablett at the time, he is totally responsible for that, not just as his man, as the captain of the club. He also jogged after him and made no attempt to put him under any pressure as he waltzed forward.

Swallow has just not been right since the Bulldogs game, I am sure his injury is affecting his mental state. He should not be played, however, only having a third of our side picked on form means we can ill afford to rest one of those guys.

Both are equally accountable.

But as one can easily be replaced but a whole player list can't, the Coach needs to take responsibility. I am also sick and tired of his shit excuses after a game.

Because they get games irrespective of doing what they are told.

Things that are really grating at the moment :

Lack of initiative and mental fortitude by the players (and maybe the coaches). I actually don't think they really listen to what the coaches tell them during the breaks. Or maybe it is indeed the coaches who don't try to change anything. I don't know but we are just incapable of adjusting to different game situations as they arise. Massive issue.
General lack of mongrel by a broad group of players (Adams, Atley, Macmillan, Sierakowski, Bastinac, etc.). Tackling efforts by some were bordering on token gestures. The one where Adams literally ran past Ablett was disgusting.
No Greenwood as travelling emergency for that game. Surely there was some indiciation it would rain? Almost unforgivable by the selection committee.
Did I mention Leigh Adams is playing like a complete wuss?

I think the first point sums it up for the most part though. The whole idea that Scott has been teaching them to "respond to a variety of situations" has been 100% talk. We go out with 1 idea of how we're going to play and we live and die by that basically. Been like that for 4 years.

The coach
The captain
The assistant coaches
The leadership group
All other NMFC players
All opposition players
The president
The ex-coach
The umpires
The CEO
The club doctor
The ex-CEO
The match-review panel
The rules committee
The ex-president
The cheer squad
The carbon tax
Stephen Dank
All BF posters.

Society's to blame

We have no mongrel; at board level, at coach level, at playing level.

McKenna called out the club as mentally weak and we showed nothing, and proved him right.

You want to know what you do when someone pokes you with a stick and puts their hand in your mouth?

Do not watch if you are a Gen Y latte sipping metrosexual.

Nah, coaches fault. You want someone to be accountable, tell someone directly!

can you even remember any player getting dragged for any number of reasons, for a blast on the phone from the coach a la dennis pagan, seems to be a string brad doesnt have to his bow

edit, the last i can think of was mc mahon after giving away a 50 to jonno brown

Remove this Banner Ad

The coach or the players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back