The Complete Finals Preview & Seedings - The top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys,

I have just prepared a complete finals preview article. Thought I'd post it here for those that don't read the main board. There is a large piece on St.Kilda towards the end.

This article analyses the 4 sides. For those interested, the bottom 4 sides will be released tonight

http://bit.ly/9JOkTY

Usually I don't read your stuff too much,
However I'd recommend this article to all for a look.:thumbsu:

Disagree re: one thing.

The most important pie for the finals is cloke. With his Yips it doesnt matter at the mo considering how many times the ball goes to him he is under a cloud - particularly if forced to the boundary line which a lot of sides seem to think is the key to beating your lot.

Agree to disagree StFly

My opinion is that the Saints have a better top 15 players....Collingwood has the more even top 22.

Hard to pick which 1 will come out the winner.

I don't mean lack of depth in the sense that if you get 1 or 2 injuries you are gone....i mean in comparison to Geelong and Collingwood, your top 22 doesn't bat as deep in terms of names on the paper.

Please don't read any inferred disrespect in this becaue I'm fine with you having an opinion on matters concerning the club I just don't have to sit here to listen to it if it infuriates me. I'm sure if it did not then it would be a good read since you are usually quite articulate and quite humble in yoru judgements so as not to outright slander, I just find that turn of phrase entirely abhorrent.

Please don't read any inferred disrespect in this becaue I'm fine with you having an opinion on matters concerning the club I just don't have to sit here to listen to it if it infuriates me. I'm sure if it did not then it would be a good read since you are usually quite articulate and quite humble in yoru judgements so as not to outright slander, I just find that turn of phrase entirely abhorrent.
k

Who are you to say that seven players in our team who bust a gut week in week out would not make it into the other teams in the eight? Carlton for example? Really?

You then go on to say that Roo's window is closing. How is that relevant.

Your article is too Collingwood biased for me to take too seriously.

Luke Ball finals man to look out for? He was serviceable in last years GF and he did not dominate. He had a good finals series and he went missing in the prelim.

I would like to see how both Steele and Beams hold up in the finals as well.

I'm quite happy that opponent fans underestimate us. It heightens the pain they experience after the match :cool:

I'm sure that the Saints are travelling "underneath the radar". ;)

The first time we play Geelong will be either be the turning point for public opinion on us or it will ratify it.

The second time we play Geelong should bring us something much more substantial.

Fwiw Steele was one of our best in the finals last year, and Beams stands up in big games. But eh, you guys are entitled to your opinions

Fwiw Steele was one of our best in the finals last year, and Beams stands up in big games. But eh, you guys are entitled to your opinions

:thumbsu: as his goal kicking proves hey. Next youll be saying Leon Davis is the master of big games aswell

I have no idea who these bottom 5 that wouldn't get a game for any other top 8 team are.

From our best 22??

McQualter, Geary, Blake, Kosi, Gwilt???

All guns and do their jobs well.

Typical opposition supporters think we're all Riewoldt but we've been winning without him this year and it's left them stumped!!!

I have no idea who these bottom 5 that wouldn't get a game for any other top 8 team are.

From our best 22??

McQualter, Geary, Blake, Kosi, Gwilt???

All guns and do their jobs well.

Typical opposition supporters think we're all Riewoldt but we've been winning without him this year and it's left them stumped!!!

Where's Jack Steven at?? The guy is a gun I reckon. He should be in over Geary I reckon. I hope Armitage holds his spot for finals as well.

Yes, the above 5 you mentioned would not get a game at Geelong or Collingwood. But like I said, your top 15 is better than ours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that Geelong is Fed, but I think St Kilda should be Nadal ;)

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...challenge-as-rivalry-grows-20100626-zazb.html

There is about these two teams now something of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. One, the classicist, regarded among the all-time greats, plays the game as it should be played. The other is less aesthetically appealing, but pugnacious in the extreme, demanding the highest price from any opponent for victory

Very Collingwood focused. Then again, what did I expect.

Nick Riewoldt carried an injury through last years finals series, but ended being one of 8 or so who carried the bottom 6-8.

We're far more versatile : Dawson, Gwilt, Montagna, Goddard, Dal santo, Fisher, Blake, Gram and McEvoy can go forward to good effect, while Gilbert, Schnieder, McQualter, Peake, Gram and Goddard have been used in the midfield as well. While many of our best 22 can.

From the saints best 22 about 8 would break into Geelong (Riewoldt, Gram, Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, fisher and Gilbert), 10/11 into most finals sides (the above, plus Gardiner, Jones and Schnieder) while a few others would fill specific holes in other teams.

We are a serious chance, and a blinder from any bottom 6 player (McEvoy, Gwilt, Geary, Dawson, McQualter and Peake) could easilly have a massive impact on the finals. We witnessed Gwilt's power in the wet against geelong earlier this year.

I like the analysis, thorough and well put together.
Just a little sick of copping our "lack of depth".
Last year(1st pos) we were so deep you couldn't see the bottom.
This year the pies(1st) have "incredible depth".
We are feilding an arguably better 22 and have suddenly lost depth.
Yeah Naah, we'll be right.

Very Collingwood focused. Then again, what did I expect.

Nick Riewoldt carried an injury through last years finals series, but ended being one of 8 or so who carried the bottom 6-8.

We're far more versatile : Dawson, Gwilt, Montagna, Goddard, Dal santo, Fisher, Blake, Gram and McEvoy can go forward to good effect, while Gilbert, Schnieder, McQualter, Peake, Gram and Goddard have been used in the midfield as well. While many of our best 22 can.

From the saints best 22 about 8 would break into Geelong (Riewoldt, Gram, Hayes, Goddard, Dal Santo, Montagna, fisher and Gilbert), 10/11 into most finals sides (the above, plus Gardiner, Jones and Schnieder) while a few others would fill specific holes in other teams.

We are a serious chance, and a blinder from any bottom 6 player (McEvoy, Gwilt, Geary, Dawson, McQualter and Peake) could easilly have a massive impact on the finals. We witnessed Gwilt's power in the wet against geelong earlier this year.

We need McEvoy to ruck against Blake and expose him.
If Gwilt and Geary play at their best they will be very useful.
Dawson just needs to stick to Mooney or Hawkens and spoil them, its not a huge ask. McQualter needs to pop up and kick a couple of goals, we haven't seen enough of him this year. Peake has been playing well recently and he could be a massive help.
Trouble is a lot of these may be confidence player, I hope there are no finals jitters.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Complete Finals Preview & Seedings - The top 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Back