Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 6, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
collingwood
Here it is.

A big thank you to everyone who has supported me during the year. I started writing these articles on Nicks 2 years ago, but it was since posting on this forum where they really took off. It has been a really big year and I can't believe how popular these previews have become.

I can't guarantee I can continue to write them as I will start full time work next year. However, I will try my best to continue them.

It is up on the club website now.

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/newsfeatures/news/newsarticle/tabid/5586/newsid/103043/default.aspx

It's also up at this address: I need the hits on this page as well. I'm not getting paid anymore, but would like to keep the traffic steady

http://bit.ly/9hiInX

Thanks Dave. i can honestly say this has been a highlight during weeks of the year. your a gun ;) go pies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can someone tell my about the Greening incident. Obviously I wasnt around then and dont know what happened but I have heard a bit about it when Pie fans get into an argument with Saint fans.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again fantastic work. And hope you become a regular feature on collingwoodfc.com.au

Enjoy discussing the matchups.

I agree with Presti + Goldy with N.Brown + Leon out.

Again the matchup which would concern me is Macaffer on Goddard. I don't feel his best role in the team is up the ground and I think he should remain a defensive forward. Probably a shut down role on possibly Gram might be the best one for the Caff. Gram had a big grand final last year and if fit he will be one of their key players, physically going the other way I think Gram might struggle and might even get beaten by the Caff who will hurt Gram on the score board if not accountable.

Goldy I don't mind as a forward and I would look to swing him forward at times, maybe if Goddard is running a muck off a half back flank I would look at this matchup and look at it very seriously. Give Goldy the big role for periods and show confidence in him. I think this is the way you get the best out of Goldy. Matchup which just intrigues me a little. Primary I would use him down back, but he has the versatility and athletic ability to do a variety of things, and this might be a nice card to have up our sleave.

Gilbert I think does need to get stopped in some capacity and he does perform well against the Pies so playing Goldsack on him for periods isn't wrong either. I very much see why you want Goldy to matchup on him and that could be an option at stages also. I think Gilbert might play the loose man instead of Fisher for St.K
Just gets so many marks down back like Maxwell, but his kicking is his issue so I would look to really limit his options and see if you can force him into a bad kick or read his kick.

I'm pretty keen on the Macaffer v Goddard match-up actually.

last week no one believed Enright would go to Didak but it happened...so I'm going to take the punt on this match-up this week.

Here are my reasons.

1. Macaffer is the best body size match-up for Goddard. Should not be out-muscled in a marking contest and has the size to tackle him etc.

2. Goddard will pay Macaffer no respect.

3. When Goddard gets tagged, he goes across half back. Macaffer would follow and actually become even more dangerous in this position.

4. The choice for me is Gilbert or Goddard. I think the Saints are going to stack numbers down back early because we are such good starters. Therefore if we tag Gilbert..they'll just free up Gwilt or Fisher or send Goddard back there.

Goddard is way more dangerous and must be stopped. He won't go forward too much because he'll get in Riewoldt's way as he demands the ball. However, he can kick goals from midfield so must be watched.

I dunno. The more I think about this game. The more confidence I get.

We've SMASHED Geelong and the Bulldogs, St.Kilda barely got past them (Barry Hall cost the Dogs).

Look at the season as a whole.

St.Kilda won a lot of games they shouldn't have, so were borderline lucky to be top 8 let alone top 4. They're just nowhere NEAR as dominant as they were last year.

We'd have to be a fair way off our game to lose this.

I'm really happy with our changes. I wrote in the article that i would have made those exact changes.

Also happy that Baker is in for McEvoy. It means that McEvoy won't be pushing forward...and Gardiner will have to ruck most of the game meaning he can't push forward too much either. It also means Kosi has to ruck at times leaving Riewoldt one out with Reid and Presti to contend with.

Baker won't be a match for any of our small forwards...but will niggle. The key will be to run him off his legs. I know Davis isn't 100% fit, but he has to bust his gut

Thanks Dave , as a recent arrival on this site, just want to thank you for your previews. Always read and enjoy, then think about your points and how they may play out form then until game time.

Goes to for the regulars, yourself, Matty, Quicky et al , you all make the season that much more enjoyable win lose or draw.
Only one outcome Saturday..i cannot wait to be ther to be a tiny tiny part of it.

Thanks again Dave

:thumbsu::thumbsu: Well done Dave..... Tahnks for all your efforts throughout teh year and really do hope you can cope next year with a job as well ..... remember.... Footy comes First!!!

:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back