Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The AFL is seriously considering a major change to the way the game is scored. A proposal to weaken the historic “poster” rule is up for discussion as a potential rule for change for as early as next season.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...-goal-post-rules/story-e6frf9jf-1225903913942

Rather than putting it in the 'too hard' basket, perhaps the AFL should be questioning why goal umpiring is suddenly not up to scratch, even with the number of scores per game at its lowest for forty years. Which begs the question of cynical me - is this merely a way of alleviating the decay in goalscoring so as to squeeze in more ad breaks?

TV is having an unwholesome influence on the evolution of the game.

I'm furious about this proposed change.

The scoring system is one of the few constants this game has had for 150 years.

There is absolutely, indisputably and utterly NO reason or evidence FOR a reason for there to be a change.

It's wrong.

I'm against changes but this is one which actually simplifies things for umpires. theres no downside IMO

Not so sure about the interchange cap - how doe they track it ? on the scoreboard ?

What happens if a team transgresses ? another stupid 50m free ?
it makes things too complex

22 players by 4 quarters is 88 changes - its basically saying one rest per half per player (as well as the 3 main breaks) so each palyer gets 5 rests.

If each player gets one rest per quarter, thats 2 intrchanges. off and on

2 x 22 x 4 = 176 interchanges - put that way its not much they use at the moment

This new rule would make wide angle shots easier as you see many of them slam into the post. Now they some of those posters would become a goal.

I think there is one glaring weakness with this rule - a shot after the siren, needing just a score to win. It's online, up they go to celebrate, it smacks bang into the middle of the post and back in play, stiff?

GREAT! Change another rule.

The sooner the game becomes completely unrecognizable the sooner i can be done with it for ever.

ppreflex.gif

I'm against changes but this is one which actually simplifies things for umpires. theres no downside IMO

Not so sure about the interchange cap - how doe they track it ? on the scoreboard ?

What happens if a team transgresses ? another stupid 50m free ?
it makes things too complex

22 players by 4 quarters is 88 changes - its basically saying one rest per half per player (as well as the 3 main breaks) so each palyer gets 5 rests.

If each player gets one rest per quarter, thats 2 intrchanges. off and on

2 x 22 x 4 = 176 interchanges - put that way its not much they use at the moment

Dont forget that in each interchange a player comes ON for one that comes OFF...Your double dipping on the numbers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if it brushes the outside of the behind post and goes over, it's one point? But if it hits the behind post with a slightly more accurate kick, and bounces back in, it's nothing or oof?

:confused:

I sure hope the everybody that whinges about this rule never squeals when their side gets dudded by a bad goal umpiring call.

It's a good rule if you can see past the standard "don't mess with the rules" cliches

If they change it, which i do not want i will be personally asking why this rule didnt take place in 2008, Pav would have 5 or so goals in crunch time games;)

I sure hope the everybody that whinges about this rule never squeals when their side gets dudded by a bad goal umpiring call.

It's a good rule if you can see past the standard "don't mess with the rules" cliches

What was the issue with the existing rule? I think that's a good rule.

Its shit mate
Why the **** are we changing the rule when we have cameras on every angle of the ground, behind a player when they kick etc?
for ****s sake, use the replay with a third man esque technique or get a second goal umpire, rather than changing one of the rules that makes the game unique.

If the rule changes i will not be happy

As much as I think Demetriou is a flog, this rule makes sense.

(1) It reduces the possibility of umpiring error and brings AFL into line with other codes.

(2) The ball hitting the post and bouncing back into play would still register as a behind.

Not all rule changes are bad, look at the rushed behind rule, a big success imo.

If they have a top 9 (or 10) finals system, then I will lose my shit :mad:

Not having a go at you for your opinion, but why do some see this as a desirable end?
Funny you ask, I don't follow other codes at all :eek:. My concern is mainly with umpiring error. Even video replays can be inconclusive. You have to consider changing your mind.

Calling 'play on' if the ball bounces back into play after hitting the post would be stupid, so I'm not disagreeing with that one.

So if it brushes the outside of the behind post and goes over, it's one point? But if it hits the behind post with a slightly more accurate kick, and bounces back in, it's nothing or oof?

:confused:
No... if it bounces off the inside of the post and crosses the goal line, it's a goal/behind. Like soccer or rugby. Anything else is still behind/OOF.

Remove this Banner Ad

The death of the 'poster'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back