The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Fox Footy related but just realised that Foxtel have gotten rid of beIN Sports! Need to subscribe directly for an additional cost to get their content now... Absolute balls

beIN Sports now costs $20 a month to subscribe to through a Fetch Box. Mike Tuckerman writes weekly articles for theroar.com.au about the round ball code. He wrote this comment in the comments section of his article for that site on June 26 re beIN no longer being on Fox:

''A couple of notes direct from beIN Sports.

Firstly, they are reducing monthly subscription costs from $19.99 to $14.99 per month from July 1.

Secondly: “Foxtel made an offer but it was well below what was commercially viable for us. They essentially overspent on AFL/ Cricket and needed to make some savings.”

beIN also told me their ratings on Foxtel increased after losing La Liga, because there are more fans of Serie A and The Championship in Australia.''

I want the choice of camera angles and commentary back

I used to run austar and it seems I had more choices for less cost per month

Straight on to wide angle view and turn off the commentary with just the umps and players heard

You would press red and choose

Gone backwards
I remember when these options disappeared was when games went from SD to HD. AFAIK there is only so much bandwidth available and the additional resource required by HD meant they had to reduce the number of available feeds. Now that everything is 4K presumably we won't see these features return.

beIN Sports now costs $20 a month to subscribe to through a Fetch Box. Mike Tuckerman writes weekly articles for theroar.com.au about the round ball code. He wrote this comment in the comments section of his article for that site on June 26 re beIN no longer being on Fox:

''A couple of notes direct from beIN Sports.

Firstly, they are reducing monthly subscription costs from $19.99 to $14.99 per month from July 1.

Secondly: “Foxtel made an offer but it was well below what was commercially viable for us. They essentially overspent on AFL/ Cricket and needed to make some savings.”

beIN also told me their ratings on Foxtel increased after losing La Liga, because there are more fans of Serie A and The Championship in Australia.''

That's exactly what has happened to Sky.

I remember when these options disappeared was when games went from SD to HD. AFAIK there is only so much bandwidth available and the additional resource required by HD meant they had to reduce the number of available feeds. Now that everything is 4K presumably we won't see these features return.
Should be possible on kayo, where bandwidth isn't constrained like the satellite product is, however that would make just too much sense.

Kayo needs to give full control of both the video angles as well as the audio (fully synced to the TV stream or any radio station).

Maybe I'm noticing it more since his "6! Oh no, it's been caught" debacle at the BBL, but Mark Howard is a seriously shizenhousen caller.

The dramatic, sudden change in pitch when a goal is scored is particularly annoying.

The only decent caller Fox now has is Adam Papalia.

Hudson is always going for the smart alec, cemented in history one-liner. The definition of a try-hard.

Russell, Underwood - the least said about the better.

Maybe I'm noticing it more since his "6! Oh no, it's been caught" debacle at the BBL, but Mark Howard is a seriously shizenhousen caller.

The dramatic, sudden change in pitch when a goal is scored is particularly annoying.

Hudson is always going for the smart alec, cemented in history one-liner. The definition of a try-hard.

Another product of calling off the tele.
Agree, Hudson still goes alright but does try a little to hard to throw those one liners in.

Papalia is so underused it ain't funny.

He's atrocious. Annoying, cringeworthy lovestruck blokiness.

"I'm sitting next to the great Dermott Brereton". Who last played nearly 30 years ago. The epitome of the little brother who is just giggling at sitting next to his heroes.

Still think you can't get worse than Taylor or Russell, but this knob jockey is trying very hard to get there.

Hudson is awful now. As you say, endlessly trying to come up with some line. Newsflash - commentators are doing a great job when you DON'T notice them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see animosity between Buckley and Lyon, appears they dont like each other

Lyon sometimes talks to Buckley like shit, called him FIGJAM on air recently and On the Couch said something about a stupid look on your face to Buckley.

Lyon is a prick most of us have seen what sought of person he is, in the past with the Brownless cheating etc.

I hated Lyon as a player, couldn't stand him. He is my era of playing, would have loved to play on him back in the day.

Lyon sometimes talks to Buckley like s**t, called him FIGJAM on air recently and On the Couch said something about a stupid look on your face to Buckley.

Lyon is a prick most of us have seen what sought of person he is, in the past with the Brownless cheating etc.

I hated Lyon as a player, couldn't stand him. He is my era of playing, would have loved to play on him back in the day.

For a 'champion' player during my childhood early teen years, I honestly can't remember one dominant or starring game from Lyon unlike a Carey or Ablett. Very unremarkable as a player.

Lyon sometimes talks to Buckley like s**t, called him FIGJAM on air recently and On the Couch said something about a stupid look on your face to Buckley.

Disagree 100% - think they both really like each other and respect each others opinions. Both super football brains. GL was in the best 5 Melbourne players of the last 50 years - I reckon if you played on him he would have kicked a few....

Silly comment about his extramarital affair - even Billy is on good terms with him now - considering the infidelity that reportedly goes on in the circles those blokes move in.

Last edited:
Not Fox Footy related but just realised that Foxtel have gotten rid of beIN Sports! Need to subscribe directly for an additional cost to get their content now... Absolute balls
Very pissed off, they’ve just put up the subscription and we’ve lost content. So ****ing annoying.

My favourite part of the weekend in the Collingwood v Port pregame was Eddie Betts asking if Taylor Adams was a better player at GWS or Collingwood. GWS where he spent a few years as a kid at the start of his career. Johno was trying to hide his laugh.

Anyone else find on the couch to be a strange show? They just started out of nowhere talking about Collingwoods performance form the weekend and off the top are talking about how Carlton could stop and matchup on them. There's just zero structure to this show it's a ****ing mess.

Anyone else find on the couch to be a strange show? They just started out of nowhere talking about Collingwoods performance form the weekend and off the top are talking about how Carlton could stop and matchup on them. There's just zero structure to this show it's a ******* mess.
Yep - certainly is.

Lyon is not a strong enough, nor disciplined host to keep the discussion focussed.

Brown is all over the place which makes Lyon's role the more important.

Buckley - I just don't see the benefit of having him. Considering Collingwood has improved enormously since his departure, Buckley's contribution always seem hollow. Yet another recently retired player/coach who has been offered a media role far too soon.

Jon Ralph's segment and Good, Bad & Ugly are OK, but every week, the majority of teams are excluded from discussion. That needs to be addressed. Maybe Fox has cut back so far that they no longer have the resources to get a post-weekend update from each team?

Yep - certainly is.

Lyon is not a strong enough, nor disciplined host to keep the discussion focussed.

Buckley - I just don't see the benefit of having him. Considering Collingwood has improved enormously since his departure, Buckley's contribution always seem hollow. Yet another recently retired player/coach who has been offered a media role far too soon.

Jon Ralph's segment and Good, Bad & Ugly are OK, but every week, the majority of teams are excluded from discussion. That needs to be addressed. Maybe Fox has cut back so far that they no longer have the resources to get a post-weekend update from each team?
I really do think they did not devote enough time to Collingwood tonight - only about 50 minutes of the hour. Yes I know they are on top but jeez.

Yep - certainly is.

I've commented on this before. Even after ten years, I have so much to learn about footy whereas I could watch soccer or cricket and know pretty much everything without thinking. OTC was therefore compelling viewing for me. The perfect formula is strong host + journalist + ex-coach/big-hitting ex-player. Once they messed with that, the show went downhill. You need heavy hitters. Whateley would be far more suited to OTC than 360 imo. I actually think First Crack is the show OTC used to be.

I would disagree on Buckley. He comes across very well to me as an intelligent and deep thinker about the game. When you've been a coach, you have so much more to consider than just playing. Brown is too lightweight and has a dreadful broadcasting voice.

Remove this Banner Ad

The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back