The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Man it seems like Chris Scott & Tom Hawkins are on AFL 360 alot.
-and that's not even including the posters up backstage.
Gee, I'm glad they we able to secure the services of Chris Scott for "Coaches" night tonight..what a BOON!

SO refreshing to hear a fresh take on the game.

Say! I haven't heard how Tom Hawkins rehab is going...any chance of an appearance from the Great Man this week?? 🤞😞

Last edited:

Midweek tackle is in a crash dive - the new guy Josh Barnes has some sort of speech impediment brought on by bathing in Red Bull.

Literally impossible to decipher what he’s gabbling about.

Yibbydee yibbydee yibbydee said Scott when asked.

Newscorp is looking at selling off Foxtel.

surprised this isn't getting discussed more

the private equity firm looking to purchase it is the same crew that bought sensis, strip-mined it, then sold it for parts

news corp currently contributes around 75% of the broadcast rights for both the afl and the nrl

if they are out of the business of our domestic sporting competitions, then it is going to be very, very interesting to see how things change for the two competitions

cricket will - probably - be okay in the long term as it's an international sport

I would like to know how they manage to pull it off from a technical standpoint. It's one thing doing it with the whole commentary team in South Melbourne and the boundary rider on side but when the commentary team is split, that surely adds a whole lot of (unnecessary) complexity.
If nothing else, they would have to devise a system to replace the tap-on-the-shoulder method of taking turns speaking. Probably a light system somewhere; in the boxes, on the screens, on their phones maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cornes would be a plus for Fox.

More important would be Fox stop being tight-ar*es and get their commentators to be at all interstate games in person.

Any commentator who doesn't want to leave Melbourne can be punted.

No more calling off the TV crap.
It’s embarrassing for the AFL which is meant to be a national competition yet allows their big pay TV provider to treat the other states like second class citizens.

Having Will Schofield or Mark Ricciuto stand on the boundary does not make up for the fact your commentators aren’t at the ground.

Fox Footy employees like David King try and claim they get all these camera angles at the studio so it’s fine but that’s just a load of BS.

Watching a game in person and being a part of the atmosphere is far different to watching on screens.

You only have to watch five minutes of an interstate game to quickly realise it feels low budget and the game feels like an after thought.

It’s quite comical how cheap Fox has become. As others have mentioned the cheapening means we are subjected to the same blokes on rotation all weekend because they don’t leave Melbourne and can float between different shows, TV and radio. It stinks.

It’s embarrassing for the AFL which is meant to be a national competition yet allows their big pay TV provider to treat the other states like second class citizens.

Having Will Schofield or Mark Ricciuto stand on the boundary does not make up for the fact your commentators aren’t at the ground.

Fox Footy employees like David King try and claim they get all these camera angles at the studio so it’s fine but that’s just a load of BS.

Watching a game in person and being a part of the atmosphere is far different to watching on screens.

You only have to watch five minutes of an interstate game to quickly realise it feels low budget and the game feels like an after thought.

It’s quite comical how cheap Fox has become. As others have mentioned the cheapening means we are subjected to the same blokes on rotation all weekend because they don’t leave Melbourne and can float between different shows, TV and radio. It stinks.

I think they will do what they have done in Perth. Have a crew that work the weekly home game - currently Pav, Schofield, Papalia calling with one of the 'stars' from South Melbourne calling remotely and Kath on the boundary.

They were mostly doing it all local until the Olympics and Pav jetting off ****ed things up but have kept the extra from the studio for unknown reasons.

I havent paid enough attention to SA/NSW/QLD games.

It's a reasonable compromise, helped by Papalia being one of the better callers.

My concern is, not only will they continue to call all their matches remotely bar Victoria and Perth games, but they will also call the Ch 7 games from the Fox Footy studio for the most part. Oh sure, they'll probably turn up if it's a big match between two melbourne teams in melbourne, and they may even travel for the finals like they did last year, but that'll be about it.
I do hope they prove me wrong, though.

I wonder if today's Saturday schedule is an indication of what Fox might want when they have Super Saturday/exclusivity for the first 15 rounds next season.

For the 4x games on Saturdays you could have something like this:

12.30pm Fox Footy game
3.20pm Fox Footy game
6.00pm Best on Ground*
7.30pm Fox Footy & Fox 503 games

*I'm sure I read somewhere that Foxtel intends to bring Best on Ground back

I wonder if today's Saturday schedule is an indication of what Fox might want when they have Super Saturday/exclusivity for the first 15 rounds next season.

12.30pm Fox Footy game
3.20pm Fox Footy game
6.00pm Best on Ground*

Id like a 9:30-10PM WA game too that goes until 12.

12 hours of footy we deserve

12.30pm Fox Footy game
3.20pm Fox Footy game
6.00pm Best on Ground*

if Thursday nights become permanent, that would remove 1 Saturday night game from the schedule and they wouldn't split the audience

12.30pm Fox Footy game
3.20pm Fox Footy game
6.00pm Best on Ground*

If Fox were interesting in trying that, they would have got it scheduled in advance so that they could run BOG, rather than do it last min due to union strikes.

I agree tho, that I hope the AFL has a new standard fixture for us next year that removes overlap. Give me:

Thursday 1930
Friday 1930 (or 1900/2130 2nd game in WA)

Saturday 1200/1430/1700/1930 or 1300/1500/1700/1900

Sunday 1230/1520/1810 (1810 in WA or PH East Coast. Not needed during bye weeks).

And I've said it before, but Bounce needs to get moved to Sunday 10am or 11am, so that first crack can be a proper first crack.

Sarah, Chief, King and Montagna all at Adelaide Oval.

Anyone know why King is there given he has stayed in vic in the past citing he has all the screens of data in the studios. ?

Remove this Banner Ad

The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back