The end of the match. WTF happened!?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it has no bearing on the second round matchups but can anyone really shed light on what the hell happened?

Here's my take on it:
Kennedy was fouled, penalty given. Meanwhile Viduka bundles the ball in the back of the net but Poll insists the penalty be taken. Simunic is finally sent off after receiving a third booking. But when some people (fans? support staff?) ran onto the pitch Poll blew full time?

To me it matters, really want to see Dukes score. I think you've got the sequence of events right though, can't think of any other explanation...

grimlock said:
I know it has no bearing on the second round matchups but can anyone really shed light on what the hell happened?

Here's my take on it:
Kennedy was fouled, penalty given. Meanwhile Viduka bundles the ball in the back of the net but Poll insists the penalty be taken. Simunic is finally sent off after receiving a third booking. But when some people (fans? support staff?) ran onto the pitch Poll blew full time?

I thought there was at least half a minute left and a penalty was to take up this time.

Really summed up Graham Polls evening really.

I only knew that the game was won when I saw players swapping tops....weird.

I thought it was a penalty aswell plus i had money riding on A) an Australian win and B) an Australian win by 1 goal. Hence making that penalty crucial in my loss of funds.

Can we still take it now? :p

Poll lost the plot in the last 10 minutes of that match, absolutely lost the plot.

Only an Australian game could have a streaker in it though, tradition :D

wellsy said:
Poll lost the plot in the last 10 minutes of that match, absolutely lost the plot.

I agree, but I would say the game was under his control for the rest of it (comparitively speaking - just look at the two previous games). Yes, he made the incorrect decision with the Viduka non-penalty, but apart from that seemed to keep the game under control. Don't know what he was thinking in the last 10 minutes though.

Poll cracked under pressure. 3 yellow Cards what the? Simunic could've cost us the game... And what happened at the end? Goal, Penalty, Full time? I don't know what he was thinking... penalty should've been taken. Also Tomas hadballed in the penalty area and another penalty wasn't given.

crowsarethebest said:
Poll cracked under pressure. 3 yellow Cards what the? Simunic could've cost us the game... And what happened at the end? Goal, Penalty, Full time? I don't know what he was thinking... penalty should've been taken. Also Tomas hadballed in the penalty area and another penalty wasn't given.

Imagine if Simunic went down the other end after his 2nd yellow card and headed one through.

There would have been a riot. Wonder if FIFA would have overturned the result??

10x worse then the St.Kilda v Fremantle blunder cause this was in the the world cup.

My thoughts are similar to your original post Grimlock.

What annoyed me most about it was that i was too confused about what was going on to properly celebrate the result, which after all emotions i went through to that point has really ****ed me off.

My mate emailed me what he thought the sequence of events was:

- Croatia throw near corner flag;
- Foul throw, turnover to Australia;
- Australian throw, whilst Simunic argues with Poll;
- Simunic continues gobbing off while throw goes into Australian penalty area;
- Poll whistles full time, reminiscent of Welsh referee Clive Thomas in Brazil v Sweden in 1978, where the ref blew full time after eight seconds of added time when a corner kick was in flight, just as Zico scored what would have been the winner for Brazil (it instead ended 1-1);
- Duke finally gets one in the back of the net - no goal;
- Poll gives Simunic his third yellow card, and finally decides to produce the red; and
- dear Graham blows full time again.

_40160440_red_card.jpg
07.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

The end of the match. WTF happened!?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back