Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

I just double checked again and According to the directory he is listed at 8 Anderson St Thebarton 1970-1973. Not sure after 1973 as that’s as far as I can search.
If you mean the Sands & McDougall's Directory, it wasn't updated as thoroughly in its later years and thus often shows a delay of many years between people moving house and the change being recorded. VEs sold the Thebarton house in Sept 70 after purchasing 13 Gwynne St Firle in Aug 70.

Last edited:
If you mean the Sands & McDougall's Directory, it wasn't updated as thoroughly in its later years and thus often shows a delay of many years between people moving house and the change being recorded. VEs sold the Thebarton house in Sept 70 after purchasing 13 Gwynne St Firle in Aug 70.
So we have?
8 Anderson St Thebarton until 1970

13 Gwynne St Firle from Aug 1970

13/3 Rowney Ave. Paradise with mother Thorna

7 Day St. Paradise. With mother Thorna

Bevan's official residences (per electoral rolls, land titles, phone books).

1933-46 – 9 Almond Grove Cottonville [Westbourne Park]

1947 – 39 Second St Brompton

1948-70 – 8 Anderson St Thebarton [note this same block has different addresses over time]

1970-73 - 13 Gwynne St Firle

BUT

1970 – 13 Gwynne St - Bern, Thora, Bevan, sister

1971 – 4/376 Henley Beach Rd Lockleys – Thora and Bevan only

1972 – 48/10 Marion Rd Brooklyn Park - Thora and Beven only [but likely back to 13 Gwynne when Bern died in 7/72]

1973 – (presume after death of Bern in 7/72) – back at 13 Gwynne until sale in 2/73. Then 1/18 First Ave Payneham South

1974 –1/18 First Ave (to 4/74) then 4 Poplar Crescent Campbelltown

1975 –Poplar Crescent (sold 1/76)

1976 - 3/41 Kintore St Mile End

1977 – Kintore St (until 8/77) then 3/13 Rowney Ave Campbelltown

1978-1982 – Rowney Ave

1983 – Rowney Ave (until 5/83) then 7 Day St Paradise (to 11/83)

1984 – Yatala

I just double checked again and According to the directory he is listed at 8 Anderson St Thebarton 1970-1973. Not sure after 1973 as that’s as far as I can search.
Thanks for clearing that up.

1948-70 – 8 Anderson St Thebarton [note this same block has different addresses over time]

BUT

1972 – 48/10 Marion Rd Brooklyn Park - Thora and Beven only [but likely back to 13 Gwynne when Bern died in 7/72]

1973 – (presume after death of Bern in 7/72) – back at 13 Gwynne until sale in 2/73. Then 1/18 First Ave Payneham South

1978-1982 – Rowney Ave

1984 – Yatala
I noticed there was an A VE living in Rosetta St Collinswood 1973 according to S&M, same street that CW lived in a few years later. Any idea of the family connection to BVE. The house, like so many others, has been demolished.

Disregard the above post. I’ve just come across the same question posted by another.

Yeah ... I haven't wobbled on it yet. Here it is, just a theory.

Officially, no cause of death could be made for Richard. He may have been killed in BVEs house and not left evidence of a violent, bloody crime scene. We know Richard was there and can be confident in the fibres evidence though, the fibres evidence is trustworthy.

(Edit: It was the fibres evidence that got BVE to change his story and admit that Richard was in his house.)

What isn't trustworthy IMO and frustrates everybody involved, not just investigators but those who have to prosecute the case against von Einem later, is the pathologist/s reports first with their estimated time of death placing him as alive just before he was dumped in the bush then, with their time of death in mind, they mis/interpret the bruising. Neither of them had any training in histopathology (bruising) ten years later they still hadn't had any training and Keogh's conviction was overturned on a bruising issue. To this day though, it's difficult to tell the difference between pre and post mortem bruising and science still can't determine if a body's been frozen.

There's a question about the length of Richard's hair. Was it assumed he'd had a haircut because there was no growth? If his hair hadn't grown in the five weeks he was missing, it's not because he was given a haircut. It's because he was on ice for approximately four weeks out of the five.

The theory is that Richard died at BVEs house while his mother was away and likely one, two or three nights before BVE went back to work. This would also be more consistent with other crimes, held for days not over a month. When he died, BVE washed and redressed him in his own clothes that were scattered on BVEs bedroom floor and which is probably how the inside of Richard's jeans picked up snippets of BVEs freshly cut hair.

Then Richard was put into a freezer fully clothed and the post death processes were halted, locked in with the fibres evidence that tells the story of where he was just before he died. When he's taken out of the freezer he's exactly the same as he went in, as if he died just yesterday and the process of decay begins again where it left off.

While Richard's in freezer storage, BVE carries on as normal creating alibi. He knows that freezing a body makes it almost impossible to accurately nail time of death, effectively hiding it. He got the idea from following the Derrence Stephenson case and it almost worked for him.

Even if the cops realised at some point that Richard probably wasn't alive for the entire five weeks, they're stuck with building a brief around the pathologist's report.
It would be interesting to know how long his fingernails were when found. If kept alive for 5 weeks then there would be definite nail growth. I wonder if this is mentioned in the autopsy report.

BUT

1978-1982 – Rowney Ave

1984 – Yatala
Interesting as I heard years ago he lived on the same street as the Beaumonts in 66

BUT

1978-1982 – Rowney Ave

1984 – Yatala

1984-2007 - Yatala
2007 - Port Augusta Prison

:p

Just looking at the map of where Neil Muir's remains were found, supplied by Dell43

Anybody know if that area Neil was found in was popular for crabbing? I'm thinking about the case against Dr. Millhouse where 'surgical skill' and 'intricate hand surgery' was heavily promoted by the prosecution.

It might be BS in that there was no intricate hand surgery at all.

The identifiers, such as tattoo skin flaps and hands which are handy for fingerprinting, were apparently strung together on a line, possibly with the hope that crabs or other sea critters would move in on it. Maybe they did.

Crabs can be quite efficient, meat eating scavengers.

View attachment 1678430

(Log in to remove this ad.)

HK or HQ?
(He mentioned HK above)
HK aqua was prob Marlin Turquise?
HK.

My understanding, and I'll stand corrected, was that there were two 'aqua' options - Aegean Aqua (darker) and Caribe Aqua (lighter) - plus Marina Blue and Mediterranean Blue. I believe the two 'aqua' only came on the Kingswood models.

Depends on the model I think
I'm not over the holdens that much as I'm a blue oval fan
Anyway this may help some of u sleuthers

Here's HQ exterior

Here's some 1968 colours and models that were avl
HKs were 68/69

EJ codes/colours are here
The benalla turquoise mentioned in the above looks like this
(Not really very turquoise imo)

Here's a list of Holden models up to 1984 and the years they came out that may help

HK.

My understanding, and I'll stand corrected, was that there were two 'aqua' options - Aegean Aqua (darker) and Caribe Aqua (lighter) - plus Marina Blue and Mediterranean Blue. I believe the two 'aqua' only came on the Kingswood models.

Think youre on the money
Those pics in that 1969 link show the car and colour

Screenshot_20230810-175140_Chrome.jpg

Alan didn’t have a license and I can tell you this he would not have gone to legal aid with out mom being there . Remember he was on a charge over a rape at the time he was killed and had a lawyer so why would he have gone to legal aid ??? As far a Neil was concerned I don’t know but he was known to be in the same circles as derrances . Understand the family dynamics at play here , mom was alway involved in anything like the rape charge and all legal issues that we were involved in . We didn’t hide things from her as it was easier for us growing up to tell her what was going on then not . As for driving a car no he didn’t and wouldn’t have driven a car around anyway in Adelaide, not worth the fine if he go pulled over . He was planning to get a drivers license before he was killed

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Charlie I assume you have seen Mr. B back in the 80’s? What colour was his hair and did he wear glasses?

I think I’ve told this story in another thread ages ago but around ten to fifteen years ago my mum did admin for a friend of hers who made prosthetic eyes. I have been to this building once and as has my sister, we can attest to this. In this building, if I remember correctly, there is a bathroom near the basement area. We have all felt really unnatural feelings in this bathroom, like we’re not meant to be there. It was super chilly too down there.

Mum told us later that the building was apparently owned by a Family member. It is a medical practice on Melbourne Street in North Adelaide. The paranormal feelings give me reason to believe the building is connected but I’ve never done any actual research into the building itself but I think I might. I’ll see what I can find.

Also, my mum would talk about Richard from time to time when I started getting interested in the case when I was younger. She knew of him because I believe their schools were brother/sister schools at the time and was in the grade below. Definitely was something she never forgot since it was so close to home.

Trevor Peters is my fatrhers first cousin, grew up in the South East before moving to Adelaide. He was also an extremley talented artist so would be interesting to see if there are sketches of any of the mentioned people. I will contact some of his family and see whats happening with the diary or if they have copies

Trevor Peters is my fatrhers first cousin, grew up in the South East before moving to Adelaide. He was also an extremley talented artist so would be interesting to see if there are sketches of any of the mentioned people. I will contact some of his family and see whats happening with the diary or if they have copies
Murray has the diary.

Does anyone have any more information on: Leslie John DEMPSEY (2/8/1933 to 16/4/2017 Aged 83 year) Arrested. 1959 for the rape of young males. 14 years older than BvE.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back