Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

Does anyone have any more information on: Leslie John DEMPSEY (2/8/1933 to 16/4/2017 Aged 83 year) Arrested. 1959 for the rape of young males. 14 years older than BvE.
He has decades worth of offences, and they start earlier than 59 for the same type of offences. What do you want to know?

He has decades worth of offences, and they start earlier than 59 for the same type of offences. What do you want to know?
Just exploring if there in any depth to the link with BvE. Plus what influence, if any 'this' may have had on BvE's future conduct? As a young Teenager in the mid to late 60's. I recall a more open time. Remember the magazine "Ribald" distributed by Rapson. The heavy drinking, the fights, the runaway teenage girls. Not to mention the bashings on the Torrens. Let alone the rumors of some of the North Adelaide parties. How close were these associations of the 1960's into developing the principal suspects in these abductions and murders?

Just exploring if there in any depth to the link with BvE. Plus what influence, if any 'this' may have had on BvE's future conduct? As a young Teenager in the mid to late 60's. I recall a more open time. Remember the magazine "Ribald" distributed by Rapson. The heavy drinking, the fights, the runaway teenage girls. Not to mention the bashings on the Torrens. Let alone the rumors of some of the North Adelaide parties. How close were these associations of the 1960's into developing the principal suspects in these abductions and murders?

I'm very interested in your mention of Rapson. How might he have come into this?

Bevan and Dempsey were close enough for Dempsey to be one of three people willing to go on public record in 1989 in the Advertiser , who said that Dempsey was 'a friend of more than 20 years, who had kept in touch with Von Einem by telephone and there was no question in his mind that Von Einem was innocent. "It was not in his character. I know for a fact he is not a violent person." said Mr Dempsey, 56. He said media publicity had prejudiced his trial.'

Of course, very soon after this interview, Dempsey was keeping in touch face-to-face with his mate.

I'm very interested in your mention of Rapson. How might he have come into this?
Mr Rap not involved. He was a identify at Grange in the late sixties. I assume he was in his fifties at that time. His much younger friend, Roger lived at the back of the Shop. Mr Rap lived there and also about a hundred meter's away in an old beach front mansion with his mother. He had a 'Late Night' Deli and News agency which carried Adult magazines. I believe he was the state distributor for the Magazine 'Ribald' and maybe other Publications. He had an old white ford panel Van for his distribution which was normally parked at the side of the shop. By todays standards the magazine was quite sick. He was popular with the teenage youths who hung around the beach at that time. Almost well liked but certainly not predatory. At that time Grange was at the end train line from Adelaide so popular for anyone without a car.

Mr Rap not involved. He was a identify at Grange in the late sixties. I assume he was in his fifties at that time. His much younger friend, Roger lived at the back of the Shop. Mr Rap lived there and also about a hundred meter's away in an old beach front mansion with his mother. He had a 'Late Night' Deli and News agency which carried Adult magazines. I believe he was the state distributor for the Magazine 'Ribald' and maybe other Publications. He had an old white ford panel Van for his distribution which was normally parked at the side of the shop. By todays standards the magazine was quite sick. He was popular with the teenage youths who hung around the beach at that time. Almost well liked but certainly not predatory. At that time Grange was at the end train line from Adelaide so popular for anyone without a car.

Thanks for that. Our parents knew them well so l was curious about the mention. They also had cats and more cats!

I noticed there was an A VE living in Rosetta St Collinswood 1973 according to S&M, same street that CW lived in a few years later. Any idea of the family connection to BVE. The house, like so many others, has been demolished.
His father and Bern's father were cousins.

I don't believe anyone has posted any proof CW lived in Rosetta St.

Just out of curiosity, l have a couple of questions about LT of the alleged 'Family'. Does anyone know if he was married once and had a child/children? How tall was he? Is he still alive?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Guys,

Slowly been making my way through this thread over the last few weeks. I'm currently Producing a Documentary for a Canadian Production Company regarding Von Einem and The Family.

I'm looking for anyone with first hand information that is interested in being involved and possibly on camera.
Either the victims family members, date-rape survivors, ex-cellmates, members of the 70s-80s Gay Beat scene, etc.

The company I'm representing has close ties with the Discovery Channel in the US. As a local south Australian I have a close connection to these murders and I feel a global audience may give the push this case needs.

Please don't hesitate to reach out! TIA

Hi Guys,

Slowly been making my way through this thread over the last few weeks. I'm currently Producing a Documentary for a Canadian Production Company regarding Von Einem and The Family.

I'm looking for anyone with first hand information that is interested in being involved and possibly on camera.
Either the victims family members, date-rape survivors, ex-cellmates, members of the 70s-80s Gay Beat scene, etc.

The company I'm representing has close ties with the Discovery Channel in the US. As a local south Australian I have a close connection to these murders and I feel a global audience may give the push this case needs.

Looking forward to Viewing the production

Trevor Peters is my fatrhers first cousin, grew up in the South East before moving to Adelaide. He was also an extremley talented artist so would be interesting to see if there are sketches of any of the mentioned people. I will contact some of his family and see whats happening with the diary or if they have copies
I'm his niece, and we were very close for the majority of my life, apart from the few years (sadly) before he passed away (I was 37 when he died). He was a brilliant artist, photographer, and high school teacher. He also loved to go out to parties, concerts, theatre, nightclubs and loved being the life of the party, and always dressing the part too. A real socialite.
He was also a brilliant gardener. His cottage gardens were featured in several magazines, on television, and attracted tourist from near and far. There were also many many weddings held on his immaculately kept stunning property, created and maintained by him, which was literally a 7 day a week job. The 150 year old cottage, which was literally in ruins when he bought it, actually belonged to his great great great grandfather, whos family was very well respected in the area and discovered the local caves which are now a big tourist attraction to the South East.

Trevor didn't reside in Adelaide his whole life. He grew up in a small country town, and after matriculating, he went to Adelaide on scholarship to go to Uni and become a high school art teacher. He moved back to the South east in the mid 80s to live/work at the cottage gardens. In the early 90s he was diagnosed with cancer and he sold the cottage, moved to Sydney for a couple of years to "make the most" of the glamorous and exciting gay scene. He then spent nearly a year travelling the country in an old ute with a friend, before moving to Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills. This is when I left the South East and moved there to help him set up and run a German Cafe. I was 21.
Just over a year and a half later, I moved back to the South East as I was pregnant. Trevor and his partner continued to run the Cafe for a few years, and it was around 2002 (roughly) when he moved to Kensington Park.

Trevor had friends from ALL walks of life, and anybody who knew him would agree that he was unforgettable. Always fabulous. Virgo through and through haha.
I didn't inherit a lot when he passed away, but I have hundreds of his photos.... Quite a few of his paintings.... And several of his diaries.

Hi Guys,

Perhaps you can provide some links to your company and previous productions?

I'm his niece, and we were very close for the majority of my life, apart from the few years (sadly) before he passed away (I was 37 when he died). He was a brilliant artist, photographer, and high school teacher. He also loved to go out to parties, concerts, theatre, nightclubs and loved being the life of the party, and always dressing the part too. A real socialite.
He was also a brilliant gardener. His cottage gardens were featured in several magazines, on television, and attracted tourist from near and far. There were also many many weddings held on his immaculately kept stunning property, created and maintained by him, which was literally a 7 day a week job. The 150 year old cottage, which was literally in ruins when he bought it, actually belonged to his great great great grandfather, whos family was very well respected in the area and discovered the local caves which are now a big tourist attraction to the South East.

Trevor didn't reside in Adelaide his whole life. He grew up in a small country town, and after matriculating, he went to Adelaide on scholarship to go to Uni and become a high school art teacher. He moved back to the South east in the mid 80s to live/work at the cottage gardens. In the early 90s he was diagnosed with cancer and he sold the cottage, moved to Sydney for a couple of years to "make the most" of the glamorous and exciting gay scene. He then spent nearly a year travelling the country in an old ute with a friend, before moving to Hahndorf in the Adelaide Hills. This is when I left the South East and moved there to help him set up and run a German Cafe. I was 21.
Just over a year and a half later, I moved back to the South East as I was pregnant. Trevor and his partner continued to run the Cafe for a few years, and it was around 2002 (roughly) when he moved to Kensington Park.

Trevor had friends from ALL walks of life, and anybody who knew him would agree that he was unforgettable. Always fabulous. Virgo through and through haha.
I didn't inherit a lot when he passed away, but I have hundreds of his photos.... Quite a few of his paintings.... And several of his diaries.

any chance you would be free for a chat sometime milli?

How did BVE even get a job in the kitchen where he could be peeing in the inmates soup?

Don't even know how he lived through it.
They used to place many of the protected prisoners in the kitchen... but that was up until the ex-Policeman Tilly (convicted for sex with a minor) was stabbed with a knife by Fyfe.

When I was walking through prisons, I was always weary when they had access to sharp tools... like their workshops. Used to read all the weekly incident reports to know what happened...

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back