Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

The Who's Who List

Out of Sight - The Untold Story of Adelaide's Gay Hate Murders

The Cases of Forensic Pathologist Colin Manock

Use this thread below to lodge media, maps and photos for quick reference.

Last edited:

"I'm Brenton Brainless and here are 20 crimes we've dug up from the past 30 years to appeal to conspiracy theorists'...
Bit like that, but I remembered there being footage of evidence and the ‘businessman’ in it - and just wanted to see what it was

Hello - Long time lurker first time poster. I was hoping to ask some of the Mods and long-time posters a couple of questions.

Firstly - what new information or leads/connections have been made on this forum? I read in one post someone saying that new light had been shed from this forum alone - could anyone point out what this might be?

Secondly - from a personal perspective, what makes you interested in this case? Is it being from SA? Growing up in this era? A sense of injustice? What motivates us/you to commit time and thinking to this particular case?

Many thanks all.

Hello - Long time lurker first time poster. I was hoping to ask some of the Mods and long-time posters a couple of questions.

Firstly - what new information or leads/connections have been made on this forum? I read in one post someone saying that new light had been shed from this forum alone - could anyone point out what this might be?

Secondly - from a personal perspective, what makes you interested in this case? Is it being from SA? Growing up in this era? A sense of injustice? What motivates us/you to commit time and thinking to this particular case?

Many thanks all.
As a lad, I worked for and old guy who was a bit dodgy. It was at a small workshop on Port Road in Woodville. One of his regular visitors was Steve Williams. The Family was all Steve ever talked about, but did discuss some Beaumont other disappearances. He was the first person I encountered actively researching the case. You could tell he had a genuine anger toward the abusers. He let slip he was abused as a child. Most of the stuff he talked about went in one ear and out the other. I simply didn't have an interest in the Family Murders at that stage in life. He did seem to have a knowledge of the case greater than what was released in the media. Although he didn't seem to keep any notes, all research was in his head.

Fast forward many years and I pick up the True Crime bug. I found myself wondering the streets of Glenelg. I was thinking Beaumont's and what Steve said about the Case. Steve dropped a name back the late 80s, a teacher. The person Steve mentioned, actually worked at the Bay Discovery Center in his retirement. I have no information on how Steve happened upon this name. But I do actively follow this line of research.

My own knowledge of the Family is very limited. I have a rough overview on how the Family operated. I've happened across two family members at their places of work. One encounter was brief, and the guy avoided eye contact. You are right, the Big Footy crime page is probably the best place to read up about the Family Murders. Luckily there are a few researchers still perusing the Family.

Not sure about that one! wouldn't think the police would come out with any new information - last major update or lead made public was the discovery of the diary that I can think of

As a lad, I worked for and old guy who was a bit dodgy. It was at a small workshop on Port Road in Woodville. One of his regular visitors was Steve Williams. The Family was all Steve ever talked about, but did discuss some Beaumont other disappearances. He was the first person I encountered actively researching the case. You could tell he had a genuine anger toward the abusers. He let slip he was abused as a child. Most of the stuff he talked about went in one ear and out the other. I simply didn't have an interest in the Family Murders at that stage in life. He did seem to have a knowledge of the case greater than what was released in the media. Although he didn't seem to keep any notes, all research was in his head.

Fast forward many years and I pick up the True Crime bug. I found myself wondering the streets of Glenelg. I was thinking Beaumont's and what Steve said about the Case. Steve dropped a name back the late 80s, a teacher. The person Steve mentioned, actually worked at the Bay Discovery Center in his retirement. I have no information on how Steve happened upon this name. But I do actively follow this line of research.

My own knowledge of the Family is very limited. I have a rough overview on how the Family operated. I've happened across two family members at their places of work. One encounter was brief, and the guy avoided eye contact. You are right, the Big Footy crime page is probably the best place to read up about the Family Murders. Luckily there are a few researchers still perusing the Family.
Interesting story about Steve Williams. Do you remember if he mentioned names of those he thought may be involved?

Interesting story about Steve Williams. Do you remember if he mentioned names of those he thought may be involved?
He did however mention Ladyboys but no specific names I remember. Not sure if he had any interest in male prostitution. But he had interests in running girls. He once asked if I wanted to earn extra cash driving girls
When he spoke about the Murders, it was more about the deposition of the bodies, Crime scenes and locations Not so much about the protagonists.
If he knew who they were, he would have surely confronted them. Either assaulting them or demanding money from them.
I had a few run-ins with him, receiving cracked ribs. Generally, I was wary of him and didn't always believe what he told us. After a few years I moved down south and had no contact with that group.

He would like the information that's turned up later years. However, I'm not sure if he knew any names back in the late eighties. In recent times remember visiting a business in the Barossa and running into a dodgy guy. I later discovered was Mr B.

I caught up with my boss many years later, he described Williams as dangerous. Must have been some falling out. In my time there, a few weapons passed through. I do have a theory about Steves disappearance, It may be BC related.

That's also something I would like to know!

Hi everyone, I'm a long time lurker on this thread and have been researching these harrowing crimes for quite some time now. After reading the three books about the cases and basically everything else you can find online, it's time for my first question around here: Has anyone ever heard von Einem talk? Does anyone know how his voice sounds or has seen his facial expressions? To me it feels kinda strange that no footage of him seems to be around...weren't some interviews the police had with him videotaped or recorded? Or is there any TV coverage that features him?

Also, I'm currently living outside of Australia and therefore I am unable to watch Debi Marshall's "Frozen Lies" on Foxtel. To anyone who has seen it, is it any good or worth watching?

Thank you so much in advance! Would be totally thankful for any response.
Outside of Australia, you can watch it on binge.com.au with a VPN on. I thought it was pretty interesting, and quite well done, and it has managed to keep the dialogue about this case flowing.

Update:

The 5 main suspects who police believe are the core group

Bevan Spencer Von Einem - Convicted of killing Richard Kelvin with no doubt about his guilt. Von Eimen was regularly picking up young males, drugging them and raping them, sometimes killing them. He is without a doubt the leader.

Under suppression - The Eastern suburbs business man (Mr R) - it's speculated that this man owned an inner city anique related shop for a number of years. He was close with Von Einem and was likely the second biggest player. At the time he lived with Dr Stephen George Woodards in St Peters. He was refered to as "Mr R" during court hearings. He still operates his business, just not in the eastern suburbs any more.

Denis St Denis - Owned a hairdressing salon in Hazelwood Park. Diaries recently uncover claim the writer saw von Einem and St Denis with pictures of Barnes after he disappeared but before he died. St Denis died in the 90s. St Denis allegedly cut Richard Kelvin's hair whilst he was in captivity. St Denis is also to have alleged to have rented a terrace house in the inner eastern suburbs with Von Einem and this is where the boys were held between abduction and death.

Dr Stephen George Woodards - Lived with the "Eastern suburbs business man" at the time but also had a high profile lawyer lover who was also allegedly involved. Woodards no doubt would have been the supplier of the date rape drugs at the time. Mark Langley had a 16cm incision from just above his penis to the navel area that was stitched up with cotton. Police have speculated this could have been to try to retrieve an object that was stuck in Langley and needed to be retrieved as this object may have had fingerprints. Could be the work of Woodards.

Under suppression - The Male Prostitute (Mr B) - Was in his early 20s at the time so was born circa 1960. Participated in many abductions, drugging, and raping of young men with Von Einem. He gave the police a lot of inside information on Von Einem and for the most part it correlates with the information the police have. Has know to live in Melbourne and Sydney since. His name is in the public domain for an unrelated case. He was most recently reported to be a bus driver in Brisbane

The people who police believe are Associates of the family

6. Pru Firman - a drag queen who lived in share house with 2 other drag queens in Alberton (shitty suburb). Lot's a drugs and date raping of young men going on here
7. Brother of Mike Turtur the Olympic Gold medalist - drag queen who live in Alberton share house
8. Drag Queen 3 - lived in same share house
9. High profile lawyer who was Woodards boyfriend
10 Donald Storen

• One of the drag queens is half maori, not sure which one.
  • Also a guy called "Mario" was named in a court case as being present when von Einem met Alan Barnes at a city pub a few days before Barnes was murdered. Mr B and Stephen Woodards were also there. Could Mario be the first name of Woodards' high profile lawyer boyfriend who is also a suspect?
"Mario" is most likely Darko Kastelan (aka "Dario" and "Joe") --- the last person to apparently see Alan alive. He was a late teen in 1979, and as well as apparently knowing Von Einem he was also a known associate of Derrance Stevenson and in very close cahoots with Gino Gambardella in luring in boys. My belief is that Darko is the one person who could unlock this entire case. He would be about 63-64 years old and is still alive and is living in Adelaide, working as a tradesman. Sic 'Em Rex!

I looked this guy up and his career started in 1979 so I doubt if he would have been "high profile" by then?

The "high profile lawyer" referenced is former Adelaide magistrate Richard Brown, who died, after having been publicly shamed for other sexual offenses, in 2010. Brown was a former boyfriend of Dr Stephen Woodards (who has also now been publicly shamed for being sordid) -- who lived at the time, or at some time around this time, with Mr R (the highly-implicated and often-written-about "Eastern Suburbs business man"). Google "Mr R The Family" and something interesting appears prominently at the top of the Reddit feed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unsolved The Family Murders

Remove this Banner Ad

Back