The Flopper Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Victor Moses vs. Man City!!

Has a fit on ground! Managed to perform the 'cattle-prod-up-the-arse-while-eating-dirt' flop, also known as the 'pillow biter's pose'. Very skillful.

UEFA have given Eduardo a 2 match ban. Will this be the first of many bans to come this year?

Only if there's an accompanying witch hunt and campaign by an FA to cover up just how badly beaten their club was irregardless of the dive ...

Only if there's an accompanying witch hunt and campaign by an FA to cover up just how badly beaten their club was irregardless of the dive ...

Arsene, is that you? :) It is a good move by UEFA imo but I hope it's not a one off thing and they are consistent with the ruling...

Arsene, is that you? :)

The way the Scottish FA have been carrying on it's as if we didn't score another four goals, that Celtic didn't only have two shots on target in the entire tie, and that the penalty decided the outcome. Please.

The way the Scottish FA have been carrying on it's as if we didn't score another four goals, that Celtic didn't only have two shots on target in the entire tie, and that the penalty decided the outcome. Please.

Yeah of course it didn't affect the outcome but it's still a good move to start giving divers something to think about don't you think? It's just a matter of whether uefa act after each game or they rely on clubs complaining...i'd hope they act without a complaint.

Brilliant move by UEFA to suspend him, they need to start bookmarking chronic divers like Eboue, Dani Alves etc and make it a real risk to flop.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't agree with giving players suspensions, unless they're going to get given the same punishment if they're caught.

I mean, if Eduardo was 'caught' diving during a match, he'd receive a yellow card and still be free to play next match, however because of the referee's incompetence, he gets a 2 match ban.

Yeah of course it didn't affect the outcome but it's still a good move to start giving divers something to think about don't you think?

See f_c's post.

That goes for a lot of things wrong with the rules in football.

I don't agree with giving players suspensions, unless they're going to get given the same punishment if they're caught.

I mean, if Eduardo was 'caught' diving during a match, he'd receive a yellow card and still be free to play next match, however because of the referee's incompetence, he gets a 2 match ban.
I agree to some extent...

I think suspensions should be handed out on the following basis.

- if the incident didn't result in a penalty (yellow card - no suspension, providing player has not exceeded the acceptable level of yellow cards)
- if the incident didn't result in a penalty and the player was already on a yellow card (red card - 1 game suspension)
- if the incident didn't result in a penalty and the player has a history of diving [ie. has been reviewed and sanctioned for diving before] (yellow card + 1 red card for each prior review and sanction)
etc.

Sounds a bit complicated, but it can be made to work. It really IS the only way you can outlaw diving because let's face it, more often than not the ref has to make a split second decision when he's usually blindsided and fk all help from the linesmen.

What about in the Aiden McGeady situation on the weekend though?

He dived to try and get someone sent off (and then ended up getting booked for diving and getting sent off himself because it was his second yellow :D)

Yes he did, but remember he has also admitted that he lies in press conferences to protect his players.

Which may itself have been a lie.

The difference being that Eduardo gained his side a goal and an unfair advantage from the dive. When you are caught the defensive side hasn't suffered and therefore the punishment is less. Fair enough imo.

The difference being that Eduardo gained his side a goal and an unfair advantage from the dive. When you are caught the defensive side hasn't suffered and therefore the punishment is less. Fair enough imo.

But surely whether you're caught or not you deserve the same punishment?

The intent was still to cheat.

But surely whether you're caught or not you deserve the same punishment?

The intent was still to cheat.

No, I don't think so. As a player you always take the chance. Get caught and receive a yellow or get away with it and your team scores a goal. Now the player will have to think whether a 2 match ban will make the goal worthwhile...it won't eradicate the diving because sometimes it is instinctive to go down, whilst at other times such as in a final a ban is probably worth it. Still, imo it is a good initiative from Uefa.

What about in the Aiden McGeady situation on the weekend though?

He dived to try and get someone sent off (and then ended up getting booked for diving and getting sent off himself because it was his second yellow :D)

No, that was Eduardo's fault according to Tony Mowbray because of all the "media hype" his dive caused against Arsenal meant the ref couldn't help but get caught up in the hype over the diving issue and produce a yellow card for what normally wouldn't of been a yellow card despite it clearly being a dive on TV replay, which Mowbray and Caldwell refused to look at:rolleyes:

Diving happens in all leagues, at all levels, at all clubs. Yet people acted shocked when they are the victims. Yes I like the idea of punishing players who con the ref into sending players off by faking injury ala Kyle Laffety last season for Rangers, but to attempt to stamp out diving after matches, is pure madness if your going to give two match bans for something that is a yellow card offence during the match.

UEFA have over-reached here and make no mistake there will be a high profile example of a dive in the up coming European season where they fail to act like they have here and once they don't act then what is the point of such a rule?

and make no mistake there will be a high profile example of a dive in the up coming European season where they fail to act like they have here and once they don't act then what is the point of such a rule?

Well we don't know that yet, although the cynic in me tends to agree that it will probably happen. Until it does though they should be given the benefit of the doubt. Imo there is no use saying that a rule isn't worth implementing because it probably won't be policed properly...the idea is a good one and might help cut diving out to some extent and therefore is worth giving Uefa the chance to get it right rather than just expecting them to get it wrong.

Eboué escapes all punishment because Eboué is Eboué and Eboué is ossim.

Greg Louganis also belongs in this thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The Flopper Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back