Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spewing I missed the fight today, was at an engagement, was the fight as good as the result would suggest?
Highly recommend the Gonzalez vs Rungvisai fight. It had me on the edge of my seat from round 1 through to 12

The GGG v Jacobs fight was good too

Didn't get to see the other two undercard fights though

Parker was lucky to get past Ruiz - who is a smallish, and out of shape Heavyweight. I scored the fight for Ruiz. I think Parker got a gift. He won't be so lucky against Hughie Fury - who will outbox him at will. The bias judges won't even be able to score this schooling for Parker. Hughie Fury beats Wilder as well, I think he outboxes him, and possibly knocks him out late.

I was at that fight. Parker landed more shots and if you watch the replay ruiz didn't really land anything clean on the inside. He jabbed to the body a lot but that was about it. It was a close fight, and Parker fought a bit too cautiously for me, but he deserved the decision in my opinion. Parkers defence is underrated, has barely been wobbled in his career. Ruiz also proved that he is a very good fighter despite his weight, and i'd favour him marginally against say a Dillian Whyte for instance

Parker has copped a lot of shit for scrappy points wins (over tougher opponents than wilder has fought, and arguably AJ) but I think he is a top HW. He is a lot better against taller opponents when he's moving forward and I would favour him against Wilder. Also undiscussed, I reckon his Chin is going to be very very good. on Wilder- I honestly think Wilder can't really box, and despite his right hand will get shown up against other top HWs . Washington won every round, and copped a hold from Wilder when he threw the right that ended it. Before that punch, Wilder was absolute dog shit.

Hughie Fury is an interesting one. Hasn't fought anyone quality, but I really rate Peter Fury as a trainer. So I have no idea how good he will be. Moves like his cousin, but can he be as good?

Gonzalez/Srisaket was awesome. Both really tough guys. Srisaket especially I guess because he took a number of big shots that really flung his head back. I would have to watch it back to score it well but live I had it a draw. I think the really close rounds had Srisaket doing good work fairly consistently throughout the round and Gonzalez was doing his in spurts but they really caught your eye. Depends on what you favour I guess. I think I had some really close rounds where Gonzalez's spurts won him the round and others where it didn't quite.

I watch a lot more MMA than boxing and have to say that I didn't really know much about Srisaket. He's got my attention now because I knew how good Gonzalez was and these two put on a great back and forth action fight. A rematch whenever would be great to see.

Golovkin/Jacobs was really good. Started pretty slowly and picked up as it went on. It was good to see someone really take it up to Golovkin. I didn't score the first couple of rounds at all and they were close and fairly uneventful. I kept a lazy score from then on and had Golovkin winning by 1 point if the fight was just rounds 3 to 12. Would have to rewatch to score it well, especially the first two rounds.

The Gonzalez-Golovkin pairing is great. Pretty much guarenteed to have two good fights whether they be dominant performances as in the past or close fights like these.

With close fights like these I don't really get the claims of robbery straight after the fight. Fans aren't going to be scoring them that well because they're watching them to be entertained, not as a judge. Some fights are robberies but I really don't think either of these was one or would have been if they went the other way.

Yeah I agree with that. The knockdowns proved decisive. Going back to round 1, I thought GGG may have pinched it on his Jab but there really was bugger all in it. There was a few times I thought GGG had really good opportunities to land his right to the body at fairly close range but he didn't. Did anyone else think he wasn't putting as much as usual on his shots?? Credit to Jacobs boxing well for that.

Next big one be Joshua/Klitschko.
Time for AJ to prove his doubters wrong but even if he gets up the consensus will be that Wlad at 40 is washed up anyway.
AJ is 27 I think so if he can't get the old boy outta there then it's open season on his 'hype'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back