Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

"Two of the best boxers in the world square off again, as current WBC-IBF-WBO light heavyweight champion Andre Ward (31-0, 15 KOs) defends his belts against the man he took them from, Russia’s Sergey Kovalev (30-1-1, 26 KOs). Ward survived a round 2 knockdown in their November 2016 encounter, and ultimately won a contested unanimous decision".
The stage is set for a classic fight.
upload_2017-6-18_10-21-21.png

What a shit show! Does it matter if the blow is after the bell in boxing? Isn't it when the ref gets in between the fighters?

Probably unsportsmanlike but techniqually not illegal?
You have to protect yourself at all times in the boxing ring. Both fighters kept fighting after the bell.

EDIT: Now looking to be overturned to a DQ. Probably the right call.

Last edited:
Don't know why Ward is such a favourite. I'm convinced Kovalev just slowed his pace in the 2nd half of their last fight because he thought he had the decision wrapped up with early knockdown (he should of tbh).

He's not gonna take his foot off the pedal this time.

Don't know why Ward is such a favourite. I'm convinced Kovalev just slowed his pace in the 2nd half of their last fight because he thought he had the decision wrapped up with early knockdown (he should of tbh).

He's not gonna take his foot off the pedal this time.
Ward's body shots took their toll too. Plus Kovalev admitted he overtrained.

I think Ward is smart enough to avoid serious damage this time. Not overly confident with Ward because it only takes one shot with Kovalev's power though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kovalev took a lot of unanswered shots before those low shots. Didn't do much defending that last 30-40 seconds.

Yeah they were quite low weren't they. But I feel Kovalev was overplaying all those body shots even before that round trying to get a break. Probably what the ref was thinking.

That stoppage was comedy. Look, I am not a Kovalev fan. So I think it was kind of funny that he was robbed like that. That last blow of Ward's was very clearly low. The last 3 blows could've all been low, but even blind Freddy could see that last one. Little wonder people turn away from boxing. That bout before - Rigondeux vs Flores was the worse decision I have seen in a long time as well. Rigo had one arm behind Flores head whilst he was uppercutting him, then the ref comes in to tell him that is illegal, and Rigondeux smashes Flores with a right to the face - knocking him out. The knock out blow came after the bell. Yet Rigondeux gets the KO stoppage. If ever you want to see corruption in boxing that is a perfect example.

That stoppage was comedy. Look, I am not a Kovalev fan. So I think it was kind of funny that he was robbed like that. That last blow of Ward's was very clearly low. The last 3 blows could've all been low, but even blind Freddy could see that last one. Little wonder people turn away from boxing. That bout before - Rigondeux vs Flores was the worse decision I have seen in a long time as well. Rigo had one arm behind Flores head whilst he was uppercutting him, then the ref comes in to tell him that is illegal, and Rigondeux smashes Flores with a right to the face - knocking him out. The knock out blow came after the bell. Yet Rigondeux gets the KO stoppage. If ever you want to see corruption in boxing that is a perfect example.
Ward had Kovalev very hurt with that right hand 30 seconds earlier and Kovalev didn't look willing to do much but walk backwards. Kovalev was gassed and was looking for a break from the body shots trying to convince the ref that every shot was a low blow when they were borderline. The last one was a clear low-blow but he also wore his trunks quite high which adds some doubt as to how low Wards body shots actually were. Although the last body shot was definitely low by that time the damage was already done. Kovalev didn't admit it but he was not all there at the end due to the Right hand which gave him jelly legs before the body shots. Would have liked to see a standing count and a restart so Ward could have finished the fight fairly and taken away any excuses. There didn't need to be any doubt in this fight. Kovalev wasn't lasting another 4 rounds if he got out of the 8th. IMO

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back