Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Great win by Ortiz really put himself on the map. Massive upset by Orlando solido stopping Juan Manuel Lopez. Really throws a spanner in the works of a potential Lopez vs Gamboa fight.

Berto v Ortiz fight was awesome! Haven't seen a good scrap like that in a very very long time. Round six was unbelievable.

I had question marks over Ortiz's heart and mental aspects of the game after his fight with Maidana, but he proved all the detractors wrong yesterday.
Guy fought with unbelievable heart.

Berto put in a great performance, but i always felt he was a HBO hype job. Guy has been making millions fighting bums for the last few years.

Can't believe that Juan Ma lost to Salido. Haven't even heard of Salido before, but thought Juan Ma would destroy him. Ruins the Juan Ma/Gamboa fight now. Serves Arum right for not making the fight in the first place. he could've done so, so many times, but he keeps deciding to match against other ppl and then it blows up in your face.

Will have to watch the Ortiz-Berto fight. I hate guys like Berto though, not personally or stylistically, just the type of boxer that gets their career handed to them.

Wrote this in the Ortiz v Mayweather thread, but may as well write it here too....

----

Ok finally got around to watching Berto v Ortiz.

Berto sucks. Dude's got no skill or heart. He's got speed and a right hand that can hurt you but that's it. No defensive technique or offence whatsoever. Holds CONSTANTLY. No way should that that fight be a candidate for FOTY, aside from the knockdowns it was just:
- Ortiz lunges with a wild punch
- Berto ducks to avoid it
- Ortiz's lack of footwork carries him forward
- Berto grabs onto Ortiz around the waist/arms
- Ortiz tries to hit him while tied up instead of trying to get his hands free
- Berto keeps holding
- ref breaks them up
- repeat x 167

I wasn't impressed by Ortiz either, he'll get schooled by Mayweather. All he does is lunging punches - he doesn't use a jab or head movement to get within range - and he loves dropping his guard when he's in front of you throwing wildly. If Mayweather decides to keep his hands free (ie not hold) and let them go (ie into Ortiz's exposed face) he will tko Ortiz with ease.

Unfortunately I can see Mayweather staying defensive and this fight going to the cards in which he wins a wide unanimous decision. Ortiz has a puncher's chance, but that's it.

Some forums have a low content thread, maybe we need one, maybe we don't. For now I'll post this here.

The program for the 2011 Melbourne International Film Festival has been released. There are two documentary films that might interest you guys.

Boxing Gym (USA) -http://miff.com.au/films/view?film_id=109671

[YOUTUBE]MAZbB0h3A9I[/YOUTUBE]

Knuckle (Ireland) -http://miff.com.au/films/view?film_id=121156

Saw the documentary Knuckle last night. Brilliant! Irish families at war and settling their differences with street fights. Go see the 2nd screening if you get a chance.

I don't think Khan is a dirty fighter but there are a number of things that didn't seem right with that body shot.

1. Khan holding down Zab's head from behind.

2. The punch didn't look like it was hard enough to knock him out.

3. Looked like it was almost below the belt.

Khan was taking Judah to school in that round anyway, but Judah looked like he was faking the knockdown, or at least the extent of his agony.

Body shots resulting in knockdowns due to their blow always make me question how genuine it is.

One of the best body shots I've ever seen was Pacquiao's on Margarito's in 2010 in the 4th round. Single punch that changed the entire fight. Margarito still kept his feet though, even though you could tell that he was hurt pretty bad.

1:40
[youtube]jfbbUhIH1a4[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Khan is a dirty fighter but there are a number of things that didn't seem right with that body shot.

1. Khan holding down Zab's head from behind.

2. The punch didn't look like it was hard enough to knock him out.

3. Looked like it was almost below the belt.

Khan was taking Judah to school in that round anyway, but Judah looked like he was faking the knockdown, or at least the extent of his agony.

Body shots resulting in knockdowns due to their blow always make me question how genuine it is.

One of the best body shots I've ever seen was Pacquiao's on Margarito's in 2010 in the 4th round. Single punch that changed the entire fight. Margarito still kept his feet though, even though you could tell that he was hurt pretty bad.

1:40
[youtube]jfbbUhIH1a4[/youtube]

Yeah I didn't like that "body shot" either. To me it was below the belt. Even if it didn't hit him in the nuts it was below the belt line, which makes it an illegal blow, right? Clean body shots are one of my favourite things to see in boxing, this wasn't clean.

If I'm not mistaken, unless the referee mentions just before the fight in the centre of the ring that the trunks are too high and specifies the area where punches will be considered legal, then anything on or below the belt line is not a legal punch. I didn't see the final instructions, but was there anything said by the ref regarding this?

Judah should've been given 5 mins to recover, but I don't think he wanted to continue anyway. Khan would've won regardless too.

Yeah I didn't like that "body shot" either. To me it was below the belt. Even if it didn't hit him in the nuts it was below the belt line, which makes it an illegal blow, right? Clean body shots are one of my favourite things to see in boxing, this wasn't clean.

If I'm not mistaken, unless the referee mentions just before the fight in the centre of the ring that the trunks are too high and specifies the area where punches will be considered legal, then anything on or below the belt line is not a legal punch. I didn't see the final instructions, but was there anything said by the ref regarding this?

Judah should've been given 5 mins to recover, but I don't think he wanted to continue anyway. Khan would've won regardless too.

I think judah just wanted a way out. Khan was destroying him.

He said he thought the ref was giving him an 8 count and then was gonna let him recover. You dont get an 8 count when you get hit low. He must have known he was getting counted out and figured ill stay down and then say it was low and i was cheated.

Does anyone care about the Vitali Klitschko v Tomasz Adamek fight? No-one? First heavyweight championship bout in Poland's history?

No, guess not. I'm about to watch it though, so good luck Tommy. You'll need it.

Didn't see it but predictable result really. Adamek is a really good boxer with a lot of heart (some epic wars with Paul Briggs back in the day) but outsized and outclassed here by the sound of it.

Does Klitschko ever fight anyone around his own size? I don't watch many of his fights but the ones i see he seems a head taller, has more weight and more reach. Not saying he isn't a gun but i'd like to see him fight someone closer to his size (maybe his bro!)

And what do people think about the chances of Mayweather Pacquiao after they both probably beat Ortiz and Marquez? Barry Michael reckoned they'd make 80 mil each from a fight, plus there'd be a rematch too! :eek:

Thinking of putting on a multi-bet, mostly on favourites, with the only ?'s being
- Dawson to beat Hopkins by decision this weekend
- Margarito to beat Cotto in their Dec 3rd rematch

I don't know much about Dawson, other than that he's one of those standard guys with heaps of talent but little determination to fulfil that potential.

I have to say I have always loved the real fight game , boxing. I kmow the UFC guys are
athletic and tough but their fights are like something I,ve seen in pubs .

Of course others may enjoy it , I prefer the art of boxing at top level.

Having the real fight game ,boxing discussion thread is a great idea.

The smoker was just dynamite packed into a ball of muscles.

Does anyone care about the Vitali Klitschko v Tomasz Adamek fight? No-one? First heavyweight championship bout in Poland's history?

No, guess not. I'm about to watch it though, so good luck Tommy. You'll need it.
I think you,ll find some of these eastern european giants will bring heavyweight boxing right back to the top.

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back