Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Mundine only took the rematch because losing stuffed his credibility so he was no longer able to go along picking easy fights to make $$$.

His only option was to take the rematch an get the win.
Now he can continue on pretending hes the greatest an fighting bums for $$$.

So there will be no rematch.
Just like because he beat green there will never be a green rematch.

Had Mundine lost to Green in their fight i can guarantee Mundine would of been calling for a rematch asap.
Green is too big for Mundine now, and would really hurt him.

Dannys loss last time and his new challenge will for the first time give him credability.
He got flattened by a big puncher he will learn from that and will finally leave the bum of the month club.

Unlike his Sydney mate who should hang up the gloves before he actually thinks he can take on a real world standard fighter and gets seriously hurt a bit like Dad did against
Monzon and Benny Briscoe. He can quit and comentate on league and boxing shows and save his health.

I have to say I have always loved the real fight game , boxing. I kmow the UFC guys are
athletic and tough but their fights are like something I,ve seen in pubs .

Of course others may enjoy it , I prefer the art of boxing at top level.

Having the real fight game ,boxing discussion thread is a great idea.

The smoker was just dynamite packed into a ball of muscles.
You're comparing a sport with an organization, it would make slightly more sense to compare the IBF or WBO to the UFC. What you really mean to compare is the two sports of boxing and MMA.

The fact that you've seen similar fights in pubs to that in the UFC has me thinking that you've either seen very few UFC fights or you've seen very very skillful pub fighters.

I like both sports but it seems that for some reason people who like one and not the other tend to criticise the other whether intentionally or not to make their point of how good of a sport the one they like is.

You're comparing a sport with an organization, it would make slightly more sense to compare the IBF or WBO to the UFC. What you really mean to compare is the two sports of boxing and MMA.

The fact that you've seen similar fights in pubs to that in the UFC has me thinking that you've either seen very few UFC fights or you've seen very very skillful pub fighters.

I like both sports but it seems that for some reason people who like one and not the other tend to criticise the other whether intentionally or not to make their point of how good of a sport the one they like is.

How many fights in a pub would go to the ground anyway? You would want to stay away from there I'd reckon, otherwise the bloke's mate's will stomp your head in!

They're both great sports anyway, as are kickboxing and muay thai, I watch them all and enjoy them all. MMA tends to have a bit more pizazz about it and more of a 20/20 type atmosphere, but boxing has the history and tradition. PPV wise I think MMA (mainly the UFC) is probably doing better than boxing, but if they finally put Pac v PBF together you watch the biggest PPV numbers possibly in history happen!

Sometimes I find it ironic that an MMA fan will not like boxing, but find the best part about MMA to be when they're standing toe to toe throwing punches.

Anyway, vale Smokin' Joe. One of my favourite fighters, not just because of his style but as a person (from what I've seen anyway).

RIP Frazier.

I'd have loved to see a prime Frazier take on a prime Tyson. How's that for a hypothetical bout.

Pacquiao vs Marquez tomorrow. Really want Pacquiao to win so that the fight with Mayweather can happen already, however Marquez is not to be underestimated. Marquez has apparently trained the house down and is in possibly the best condition in his life. Couple that with Marquez's hatred for Pacquiao and the fact that he's given Pacquiao trouble in two fights before, and I wouldn't be surprised if pacman gets troubled, unlike Pacquiao vs Mosley post 3rd/4th round.

Marquez countered really well, and Manny threw a heck of lot of wild punches not many of them actually connecting. Can't see how the close rounds going to Manny is anything other than it being Manny.

Shame, enjoyed the heck out of the fight, just left flat after the decision. May bring us closer to Mayweather fight, certainly helps that it was a questionable call on points as opposed to a knockout by Manny, from the Mayweather camp at least. Maybe the hype surrounding it though depends on what you thought of this decision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a huge Pac fan i was trying my hardest to give him rounds and couldn't honestly do better than 6-5 with the 1st even. Thats giving every close round to Pac.

JMM won. It was close but he won. 116-112 ? No way in hell.

I guess it good though, a JMM win leaves nowhere to go as Floyd whipped him already and this keeps Pac-Floyd alive and might be more likely as Floyd should be pretty confident of a win.

Having said that i don't think you can be too sure Floyd will beat Pac based on this fight. I think JMM is just Pac kryptonite.

Juts back from watching the fight - pub was packed with Filipinos, jumping at any flurry of action during the fight.

Despite being a big Pacquiao fan, JMM was clearly the better fighter for me.
Easily won the middle rounds of the fight while Manny only won one decisively (rd 4?) and the rest were a tossup. But with the nature of the round-by-round scoring I guess these things get pretty close on the scorecards.

Strangely enough though from my view Marquez landed more frequently and accurately, the Compubox stats slightly favoured Pacquiao on connects & connect %.

Pacquiao clearly frustrated, tried to feint his way to open up the Marquez defence but Marquez wasn't afraid to fire when Pac got in range and Manny couldn't find the gaps.

Gotta feel for Marquez - 3 close losses and while I thought Manny won the 2nd fight, I think Marquez definitely won this one.

Hollow "victory" for Pac fans.

This has soured any Pac-Floyd fight that may happen. Not that I already didn't think it, but this just points out to me that Pac is not in the same league when it comes to boxing compared to Floyd.

JMM is literally a poor mans Floyd. Floyd will measure that distance even better, throw the counters even quicker, and dodge any punches that do comes his way a whole lot better.
I do think the fight will be put under investigation and something may in fact be done about it. It was one of the biggest robberies I've seen for such a marquee boxing event.

This has soured any Pac-Floyd fight that may happen. Not that I already didn't think it, but this just points out to me that Pac is not in the same league when it comes to boxing compared to Floyd.

JMM is literally a poor mans Floyd. Floyd will measure that distance even better, throw the counters even quicker, and dodge any punches that do comes his way a whole lot better.
I do think the fight will be put under investigation and something may in fact be done about it. It was one of the biggest robberies I've seen for such a marquee boxing event.

Nah, it wasn't a fix if it was why would you fix it 116-112 you'd go a closer score so not to be obvious.

Its just starpower, the crowd goes off ever time the star throws anything and the judges get sucked in.

Its been happening for ever. Going back to one of the first fights I watched Hearns-Leonard II, at the time i thought it was fair enough but having watched it multiple times since there's no way Sugar Ray won that fight.

I don't think it sours Pac-Floyd. Manny has always struggled with JMM who is really nothing like Floyd. JMM can box technically (not in Floyds class) but can also brawl if he has to, so Manny can't just make it a war. With Floyd he only fights one way so there's still that chance Pac can overwhelm him. NOt sure Floyd will want to take the shots to give one like JMM.

Maybe im just hoping.

Not a fix and not a 'robbery'. Like I said before, even though Marquez won more rounds decisively there were a lot of close rounds which due to the scoring system count just as much as the decisive (non 10-8) rounds.

JMM can box technically (not in Floyds class) but can also brawl if he has to, so Manny can't just make it a war.

That's what I was hoping for during the back end of the fight - enough of trying to counter the counter-puncher...just go in there Manny and make it a war!

But I guess brawling isn't really Pacquaio's style nowadays...Perhaps Nacho had a point when he said pre-fight that Pacquiao's more refined/predictable style make things a bit easier for Marquez this time round.

Not a fix and not a 'robbery'. Like I said before, even though Marquez won more rounds decisively there were a lot of close rounds which due to the scoring system count just as much as the decisive (non 10-8) rounds.

That's what I was hoping for during the back end of the fight - enough of trying to counter the counter-puncher...just go in there Manny and make it a war!

But I guess brawling isn't really Pacquaio's style nowadays...Perhaps Nacho had a point when he said pre-fight that Pacquiao's more refined/predictable style make things a bit easier for Marquez this time round.

True, you shouldn't get too technical with a guy like Pac, Roach has fixed his obvious flaws which were being one handed and lunging and losing balance but watching the faceoff and Roach talking about having this foot outside that foot, I was thinking thats going too far.

Manny is a natural fighter that loves to go at it. He'll never be a great technical boxer and trying to make him one is a bad move.

Anyway I think a Pac-Floyd fight has never been as likely as now. Both guys didn't look gret in there last fight and can't expect huge PPV money fighting nobodys, they are also out of anything resembling a legitimate opponent. Bradley and Khan would the only 2 and they should fight each other.

Since when did Floyd not look good in his last fight? Ortiz didn't touch him the whole fight...

I was cheering for Pac this fight, just for the hope of a Floyd-Pac match up later on, though I really think its unlikely at this point. Pac doesn't look in the class of Money.

That was a robbery. There is no way I can come out of that fight and say Pac did enough to win. None at all. Even the close rounds you felt that Marquez was the one with the better flow and counter punching.
116-112 is the perfect way to make it look legitimate. Make it look like the thing wasn't close. Every single judge scored the 3rd to Pac. Can anyone here honestly tell me that Pac got the third? I'm just using this one as a basis, since there were plenty more on the scorecard that were bewildering.

flipping garbage!!! I was robbed of $60. I got on JMM to win by decision, and I felt his pain yesterday.

Compubox stats somehow favour Manny, but I didn't see him landing anything decisive AT ALL. He was coming in throwing wild punches like he usually does, but was coming up short every time because JMM had brilliant footwork. He had his timing locked in too. He made Pacquiao look bad. My stream was cutting in and out a little bit and I missed the last 2-3 rounds, but I had JMM up by at least 3 going into the 10th or 11th (I saw like half of the 10th).

It's been hard to judge how good Manny actually is because his opposition over the last few years were really ripe for the picking. Going all the way back to De La Hoya. He was weight drained and couldn't handle the speed at all.
-Ricky Hatton was/is overrated (IMO) and had already been shown up by Floyd. The dude's got no defense, just rough house tactics.
-Cotto was destroyed mentally by Margarito, and even in his fight with Clottey he went back into his shell a little. You could see in his fight with Manny that he went into survival mode after the knockdowns.
-Clottey was a punching bag who was just there for the pay day. Where's he at now? He's done NOTHING since that fight. Probably retired and is snorting coke off hooker's asses in Ghana
-Margarito was Clottey 2.0 in the sense that he was a punching bag - plodding around with no head movement or ability to handle speed - but he obviously made a lot more effort and even got to Manny in spots.
-Shane Mosley was a joke

The fight with JMM made it clear that Floyd has a big edge if they ever did meet up.

Really feel for JMM, he already felt like he was robbed twice with Manny (I haven't watched those fights yet), this one would've been the worst though.

They can point to the compubox numbers all they want. JMM won both of those in their previous two fights and that still didn't help him. Goes with the different approach this time and still can't win.

So what do people think of what's going to happen from here out? The point was raised in the Pacquiao v Marquez thread - who will be facing Pacquiao next? Will Marquez get his 4th shot at Pacquiao, or will they look to make the Mayweather fight. If Mayweather doesn't get Pacquiao, who will he face on May 5th?

I think the 4th contest with Marquez could still be made after the potential Mayweather fight, win or lose, so I'd like to think the Mayweather one would happen first. But Pacquiao's a little vulnerable right now so they will probably look at Marquez over Mayweather. And if he loses to Marquez (again) then Mayweather will possibly be out!

Remove this Banner Ad

Boxing The General Boxing Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back