news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What does everyone think about match ups for Pettis?

Holloway is on a massive streak, but Pettis has lost his last 3 so I don't think they will be matched up. Although somewhere down the line I think that match up would be a good spectacle.

Holloway is on a massive streak, but Pettis has lost his last 3 so I don't think they will be matched up. Although somewhere down the line I think that match up would be a good spectacle.

Would love to see him fight Holloway, but it doesn't make sense at the moment as you said. Looking at the rankings and with a hunch that the UFC would like to put him up against a striker, a guy like Hacran Dias maybe makes sense.

Probably R.Lamas for me. Lamas comes off a decision lost.

We have to keep in mind...Pettis is a former champ.

It makes you wonder Benson Henderson held that belt for so long?

It makes you wonder Benson Henderson held that belt for so long?
from memory I scored the 2nd frankie fight for Edgar and thought Melendez beat him as well.
The first frankie fight was extreamly close and could be argued either way.

so I would say luck and strategically making sure he won the last 10 seconds of each round because most judges are incompetent.

Maybe Jeremy Stephens or Barao?

I liked the thought of Stephens initially, but then remembered their first fight at 155 and figured I didn't want to see it again. Barao looked so much smaller Stephens in their fight, so to throw him in with a taller, rangier fighter almost seems unfair to the guy. I'd like to see him fight Mendes next who he'll not be dwarfed by and would have a decent shot to out strike.

I know this has been resolved but still funny.....

hk4je40.png

Rogan doesn't get journalism. Helwani shouldn't report it because it was going to be announced anyway? That's some stupid logic. Helwani found out this information and reported it. This is information that readers are interested in, so it makes complete sense to report it as soon as possible. The UFC didn't like it, but journalists don't need to follow orders from the UFC.

It's funny that Rogan says it's not really journalism because the UFC was going to announce it. What is it if Helwani knows about it, but waits for the UFC to reveal it? That's journalism? No, that's the media essentially working for and with the UFC which is the opposite of journalism.

Maybe Helwani should keep doing everything he does, except breaking the big events/fights. I think the UFC should be able to do that.
Why shouldn't he break the big events/fights? He's no longer being paid by Zuffa, so he now owes them nothing. He can do his job as an independent journalist and that's exactly what he's doing.

The UFC is able to break the big events/fights. They could have broken the Lesnar news before everyone else. They waited for the PPV to do that and by that time the news was already out there. Bit of bad luck for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why shouldn't he break the big events/fights? He's no longer being paid by Zuffa, so he now owes them nothing. He can do his job as an independent journalist and that's exactly what he's doing.

The UFC is able to break the big events/fights. They could have broken the Lesnar news before everyone else. They waited for the PPV to do that and by that time the news was already out there. Bit of bad luck for them.
I really like Helwani, U know it's the truth if it comes from him and we get to hear the latest straight from the fighters mouths on the mma hour etc.

Mma news is his business but I still don't like the idea of him continuously spoiling announcments for the UFC. And it's obviously not helping relationships at all.

The real problem is the mole though. The UFC need to sort that out.

Yep, it's an internal problem so they shouldn't blame external people for doing their jobs.

They need to clean up their own backyard.

I personally think Ariel's so-called leak was more beneficial to the UFC than an outright announcement on the PPV would have, irrespective of all the drama that followed it.

People like the mystique of speculations and also given the fact that Ariel's leak was that contracts negotiations were just about finalised, created a kind of hype around the whole situation. I think it was more so the hype around Lesnar returning to the UFC rather than that he was fighting on the 200 card that made everyone so excited. Didn't Ariel's leak only just containing details that Lesnar was close to signing a deal with the UFC and nothing specific to UFC 200 specifically?

I think this mole stuff is mostly nonsense too. There's nothing to suggest there's a mole inside the UFC feeding Helwani information. Not sure why everyone assumes this as a fact.

Helwani would have built so many relationships with people outside of the UFC that he wouldn't necessarily need someone inside the UFC giving him information. There are so many people outside of the UFC that would know about the plans with Lesnar. Just to name a few: WWE employees, Lesnar's training partners and Lesnar's manager(s). This would have been a complicated business deal that involves many more people than just UFC employees.

I think this mole stuff is mostly nonsense too. There's nothing to suggest there's a mole inside the UFC feeding Helwani information. Not sure why everyone assumes this as a fact.

Helwani would have built so many relationships with people outside of the UFC that he wouldn't necessarily need someone inside the UFC giving him information. There are so many people outside of the UFC that would know about the plans with Lesnar. Just to name a few: WWE employees, Lesnar's training partners and Lesnar's manager(s). This would have been a complicated business deal that involves many more people than just UFC employees.
Fair call

Aside from the obvious Joe Rogan love-in, and obviously the inevitable finish, I actually thought Whittaker was doing pretty well with his movement and shots he was landing on Thompson, all things considered..
I was thinking the same thing. Timing was good and landed a number of times, just got caught.

It's not a journalism story, it's purely promotional. He can break it if he likes, but in the same regard the UFC can remove his credentials if they feel he is interrupting their operations.

It's not a journalism story, it's purely promotional. He can break it if he likes, but in the same regard the UFC can remove his credentials if they feel he is interrupting their operations.
I'm not really sure what your point is here. How is it not a journalism story?

Of course the UFC can remove his credentials. They can remove them for whatever reason they feel like. They've done it before and they'll do it again. They just look terrible for doing it and obviously they realised that.

Remove this Banner Ad

news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back