news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Second last WEC card airs Friday afternoon on Setanta. As always it's a pretty awesome card.

Card is headlined by Faber's 135 debut against Mizugaki, Mizugaki's good but Faber should be rounded enough to take this, leaning towards a Faber sub but a decision wouldn't surprise me.

Benavidez vs Fabiano is the co-main, Benavidez looking to get back on track after the close title fight loss to Cruz, Fabiano's kind of disappointed me since coming over to the WEC from the IFL, generally dull fights and winning in unimpressive fashion. Benavidez should have too much energy and pace for Fabiano and take out a decision

Mendes vs Vasquez could be interesting, Mendes has been a bit of a human blanket lately but Vasquez is a very good sub fighter, going with Mendes by decision but hoping Vasquez can take it

Page vs Mighty Mouse Johnson, Page was on fire last year but has spent a year on the shelf since then, another interesting fight on paper, tipping Page by TKO

Going with Koch on the other main card fight plus Assuncao, Njokuani, Micklewright, Godfrey, Swanson and Jabouin on the prelims.

WEC card was awesome, Mendes went into blanket moment occasionally but otherwise the fights were great.

Feel sort of bad for Rosenthal being ripped over the late stoppage in the Faber fight because he had to make a call with an awful vantage point, but it was still called off too late. Wasn't a good look when Mizugaki was out cold with his eyes wide open. The commentary wasn't great either as the fight had been pretty even yet Bonnar and Harris were fawning all over everything Faber did.

Mendes is going to be very good but he's progressing too fast to evolve properly. Some fighters like Cain can shoot straight to the top but most need to fight lesser guys while they're evolving. Mendes should probably still be fighting the lower level guys so he can develop at his stand-up and sub games yet he might find himself fighting Aldo next.

Great win for Benavidez, Fabiano's a legit high-level black belt and in this fight he had several opportunities to avoid the sub and still got choked out. This was unlike the Semerzier loss where he lazily dived into a triangle, instead he got outgrappled badly.

Mighty Mouse would be a natural fit at 125 but he's doing pretty well at 135, Page was pretty rusty though after the first round with a year off and that might have lost him the fight.

Nice head kick win by Koch, I can't help but love seeing those finishes. Swanson/Semerzier prelim fight was excellent, really cool that they threw it on the broadcast despite it going the 15 minutes. I thought Mackens probably won but hopefully he still gets a shot in the UFC despite this being his third straight loss.

For those who might be interested here is a flyer for the BJJ pan pacs:

2010-pan20pacs20poster3.jpg

http://www.afbjj.com/

By the way My brother won the Blue belt 91kg comp today & is in the Nogi tomorrow. He doesn't really train bjj (white belt/no belt only I think) he is more into Judo but he did ok today, pulled out the win scoring points in the last few seconds.

Magnum were you there or competing? I know your right into BJJ.

It might be a good idea for someone to start a thread in which to post upcoming events in Australia from any form of combat sport or martial art discipline.

The reason I thought this might be a good idea is that I got a call this afternoon from my old man who tells me my bro was competing in the BJJ pan pacs which are on today & tomorrow & I had no Idea.

Didn't compete. At the moment I have two young kids so family life has taken a bit more time away from serious training for competition. Still train 2-3 times a week, but haven't put the effort in to get to the level required to make it worth it. Not going to pay $100 to go out in the first round or gas hard :)

Good effort to win any division in the pan pacs, it's a solid event, have competed there a number of times. (even though the Debeen guys seem to be favoured in the scoing, some dodgy decisions I've witnessed).. I know some of the Judo guys do well with black belts in Judo they can get points with a takedown and then avoid subs and stay on top for the win. Impressive effort regardless.

Most of the dominance guys who completed placed or won their divs which was a good result for us.

Most of the dominance guys who completed placed or won their divs which was a good result for us.

That’s where my bro does a lot of his training, but he has been overseas a lot over the last 12 months in Japan & at some big training camp in France.

Your right about the training though, it’s very hard to have any success if you can only train part time when you have guys you compete against training 6 days a week.

Ahh I know your bro.

His name is mark and he's got an afro and he's kinda Fijian looking?

Yep, I've rolled him in the no gi class a few times and he's known for his excellent judo. Great to see him win in the blue div. He's only 20 right? He'll be a beast. Unfortunately I'm 32 and pretty broken by now so competition for me is more for fun as opposed to a serious thing now :D

Ahh I know your bro.

His name is mark and he's got an afro and he's kinda Fijian looking?

Yep, I've rolled him in the no gi class a few times and he's known for his excellent judo. Great to see him win in the blue div. He's only 20 right? He'll be a beast. Unfortunately I'm 32 and pretty broken by now so competition for me is more for fun as opposed to a serious thing now :D

Yeah that’s him, he is half Indonesian. The afro seems to be a family thing except instead of being tight curls its straight up in the air :D. He just turned 21 & yeah he's doing really well with his judo, he won a world cup meet in Samoa a couple of weeks ago so if he can defend his points over the next 12 months should stay in the top 22 in the world & go to London in 2012.

He just loves the combat sports, 2-3 years ago he won the pan pacs in freestyle wrestling but is mostly dedicated to judo now. As for being 32 I know exactly what you mean, nothing like the 20’s that’s for sure.

Pretty decent Strikeforce card this weekend going head-to-head with the TUF Finale. I'm thinking I'll find a Strikeforce stream and record TUF on Fuel then watch that straight after Strikeforce finishes up. Should be about four or five hours straight of MMA this Sunday.

Light Heavyweight bout: Dan Henderson vs Renato Sobral - Hendo has rarely looked good at 185 after the first round ends but his cardio is fine at 205, I don't see Babalu being able to get him down easily either, Hendo to take this by KO
Middleweight bout: Robbie Lawler vs Matt Lindland - Lindland's kryptonite is usually explosive punchers like Lawler, wouldn't be too surprised to see Lindland napping in the first couple of minutes of the fight
Welterweight bout: Paul Daley vs Scott Smith - Daley comfortably, Smith has heart but not much else
Heavyweight bout: Antonio Silva vs Mike Kyle - Bigfoot by sub, Kyle is probably a better test for him too than Overeem's brother would have been so I'm fine with this replacement
Middleweight bout: Benji Radach vs Ovince St Preux - not sure, going with the fighter I've seen

With you on everything Ross. Although, I have a feeling Hendo's nearly done. Wouldn't be that surprised to see Babalu take him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Called it, Lindland got knocked absolutely stupid early in the first round. He was still down and out minutes later.

He really should call it quits, this and the Vitor KO have both been ugly sights.

Edit: Wow. Daley KOs Smith almost as viciously. Smith faceplanted hard, ala Griffin against Gomi.

All the fights are on youtube.

I felt sorry for Lindland and Smith before their KO's because you can see what's coming. Lindland looks horrible standing and moves slower than Coleman.

after some boring fights in the TUF finale (the prelims especially were horrible and fall asleep worthy) it was great to see some of the stouches in Strikeforce.

The KO's of Lawler and Daley were sensational! Had me up on my feet. Hendo was super impressive as well..

I won't deny Lawler and Daley were great knockouts, but you really think the undercards were horrible? Which fights?

I thought Mckenzie vs Wilkinson was a very solid fight, while Phan vs Garcia was an awesome brawl that rightfully won FOTN.
and probably the best knockout of the whole weekend wasn't shown on the Spike/Fueltv broadcast. Garza vs Paixao will make you change you mind.

Has anyone heard the guy on SEN who comes on after the midnight news (So wednesday morning) to talk about MMA.

Doesn't seem to have much of an idea but is really keen on MMA.

I won't deny Lawler and Daley were great knockouts, but you really think the undercards were horrible? Which fights?

I thought Mckenzie vs Wilkinson was a very solid fight, while Phan vs Garcia was an awesome brawl that rightfully won FOTN.
and probably the best knockout of the whole weekend wasn't shown on the Spike/Fueltv broadcast. Garza vs Paixao will make you change you mind.
the Phan v Garcia fight was on the main card (good fight bad decision)

i'll concede i havent watched Garza vs Paixao yet and Cody pulled off a nice guillotine
Also liked the new "pace choke" from Nick Pace

The fights that didnt impress me on the undercard were Toner vs Loveland, Branch vs Attonito and Watson vs Chivitchian

Then again i was pretty tired and it was late when i was watching the undercard so that may have clouded my judgement on these fights

I haven't read this entire thread or it may have been posted elsewhere, but does anybody know why the UFC event highlights are not included in mainstream sports shows eg. Sports Tonight etc?...it is the fastest growing sport in the world and the general coverage of the sport outside of Fuel TV or UFC/MMA websites is appalling.

The mentality of Aussie journos to the sport is laughable as well. I heard someone call SEN about 4-5 months ago to talk about it and the panel had absolutely no idea how big it is and still refer to it as cockfighting and without rules etc...absolute muppents....

End rant.

It is a bit disappointing, but Fox Sports News at least had some coverage of the GSP/Koscheck fight yesterday. Would have thought that considering ONE and Fox have UFC in their schedule it would be fairly smart for them to actually put them in their sport reports...

K1 GP Final about to start, looking forward to seeing The Reem in action.

Anyone else watch this? Reem started out slow against Spong and got wobbled in the first round but took over from there, sealing the fight with a standing count in the third round. He then took full advantage of a weakened field and ran through the battered Saki and Aerts in the first round of his next two fights to take out the GP. FEG is said to be looking for an opponent for him for an MMA fight on the DREAM New Year's card in a few weeks, can't imagine they'll find many takers.

The highlight of the event was Aerts taking control in the third round to take out Schilt in the semi final. Semmy had apparently never lost in a one-night tournament before and was the tournament favourite going in.

Would have been great if Badr and Bonjansky were able to take part in this year's GP but I'm not sure if Remy's going to be able to fight again and Hari's either spent the last six months in jail or dealing with legal issues.

Remove this Banner Ad

news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back