News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Are you worried about those kids regressing without Hodgey out there?

slightly. but everyone gets given the keys to go out on their own at some point.
the sooner they use what they have learned from him to go out their and play on their own, the sooner they master it take us back into the finals.
he cant be there to hold their hand forever.
there is also Birchall, Stratton and Frawley to come back into that backline. Lots of experience. Not Hodge, but not bad in the same breath.

Luke Hodge will need to be traded to or drafted by Brisbane Lions, expected to play less than full season in 2018
AFL

LUKE Hodge will need to cross to the Brisbane Lions via either a trade or one of the drafts and is expected to play less than a full season in 2018.

But Hawthorn will not stand in Hodge’s way if, as expected, he commits to playing for Brisbane next year and potentially in 2019.

Hodge is expected to join the Lions through either a trade — and it will involve none of the angst that surrounds Gary Ablett’s passage to Geelong — or the pre-season draft (PSD), in which the Lions have the first pick.

He cannot be picked up by Brisbane as a delisted free agent and will have to undergo the formality of a trade or use the PSD because, as the AFL confirmed on Thursday, Hodge has already officially retired.

The Lions’ expectation is that Hodge, 33, would play less than a whole season, perhaps 15-16 games, in 2018 with the option of playing again — or coaching — in 2019.

It also emerged on Thursday that Hodge’s wife Lauren was a major driver of the champion’s interest in the family living in Queensland and joining the Lions, who have discussed a two-year contract with Hodge and expect him to be playing for them next year.

Brisbane’s coach Chris Fagan, however, was the instigator of Hodge’s interest in playing for the Lions, the pair having worked closely together at Hawthorn for nine seasons.

The AFL said Hodge would have to join the Lions via either a trade or the draft(s), because he had officially retired, even though he is without a contract for next year. The AFL introduced a rule to prevent players from retiring and then being picked up cheaply after Brisbane’s Mal Michael retired and then almost immediately joined Essendon via the pre-season draft.

The news that Hodge would likely join Brisbane — almost exactly a month after he played his final game in brown and gold — did not shock the Hawks, whose coach Alastair Clarkson and senior football figures had been in conversations with the retired club legend well before he revealed his plans on Channel Seven, which had been in discussions with Hodge about a commentary role for 2018 and might still sign Hodge for next year.

The Hawks, however, are understood to have asked Hodge whether he had considered seeking to play on for them once the prospect of him joining the Lions was raised.

Hawthorn, though, has indicated that it will not stand in Hodge’s way, the club having informed the champion and four-time premiership hero that this year would be a good time to retire.

Brisbane and Hawthorn both recognised that the Lions, as a very young team on the bottom, stood to gain more from Hodge as a player — and particularly from his leadership and teaching skills.

The expected signing of Hodge has boosted morale at the Lions, whose captain Dayne Beams is understood to be excited by the prospect of being tutored by one of the game’s most decorated captains and leaders.

As Hodge told Channel Seven, he had enjoyed teaching and helping youngsters at Hawthorn, leading him to reconsider retiring.

Wonder if the warmer weather will limber up those aching muscles and joints a bit.

Doesn't help me ........

[Message sent from the Sexagenarian Clique Account]

That Voss shirtfront was one of the greatest hits of all time.
I'm not sure Lynch ever landed any of those punches, but if he did, it was in the midst of a punch up.
The Reiwoldt thing was worse in hindsight, knowing the injury, but all the guys did was bump his shoulder.

Aside from that, we're not talking about "tough" v "nice guy". There is another level, which is being dirty. Kicking, kneeing and slamming a guy's neck into a goal post, which could have crippled him. All the while appealing and whining to the umpires when things didn't go his way.

Tough guys we can accommodate, but dirty grubs I have no time for. Like I said, plenty to offer as a coach, but I won't be pleased to see him pull on the guernsey. I don't think I've ever been so against a player being in our team, and that includes Fev.
Would get 6 weeks now.

Luke Hodge will need to be traded to or drafted by Brisbane Lions, expected to play less than full season in 2018
AFL

LUKE Hodge will need to cross to the Brisbane Lions via either a trade or one of the drafts and is expected to play less than a full season in 2018.

But Hawthorn will not stand in Hodge’s way if, as expected, he commits to playing for Brisbane next year and potentially in 2019.

Hodge is expected to join the Lions through either a trade — and it will involve none of the angst that surrounds Gary Ablett’s passage to Geelong — or the pre-season draft (PSD), in which the Lions have the first pick.

He cannot be picked up by Brisbane as a delisted free agent and will have to undergo the formality of a trade or use the PSD because, as the AFL confirmed on Thursday, Hodge has already officially retired.

The Lions’ expectation is that Hodge, 33, would play less than a whole season, perhaps 15-16 games, in 2018 with the option of playing again — or coaching — in 2019.

It also emerged on Thursday that Hodge’s wife Lauren was a major driver of the champion’s interest in the family living in Queensland and joining the Lions, who have discussed a two-year contract with Hodge and expect him to be playing for them next year.

Brisbane’s coach Chris Fagan, however, was the instigator of Hodge’s interest in playing for the Lions, the pair having worked closely together at Hawthorn for nine seasons.

The AFL said Hodge would have to join the Lions via either a trade or the draft(s), because he had officially retired, even though he is without a contract for next year. The AFL introduced a rule to prevent players from retiring and then being picked up cheaply after Brisbane’s Mal Michael retired and then almost immediately joined Essendon via the pre-season draft.

The news that Hodge would likely join Brisbane — almost exactly a month after he played his final game in brown and gold — did not shock the Hawks, whose coach Alastair Clarkson and senior football figures had been in conversations with the retired club legend well before he revealed his plans on Channel Seven, which had been in discussions with Hodge about a commentary role for 2018 and might still sign Hodge for next year.

The Hawks, however, are understood to have asked Hodge whether he had considered seeking to play on for them once the prospect of him joining the Lions was raised.

Hawthorn, though, has indicated that it will not stand in Hodge’s way, the club having informed the champion and four-time premiership hero that this year would be a good time to retire.

Brisbane and Hawthorn both recognised that the Lions, as a very young team on the bottom, stood to gain more from Hodge as a player — and particularly from his leadership and teaching skills.

The expected signing of Hodge has boosted morale at the Lions, whose captain Dayne Beams is understood to be excited by the prospect of being tutored by one of the game’s most decorated captains and leaders.

As Hodge told Channel Seven, he had enjoyed teaching and helping youngsters at Hawthorn, leading him to reconsider retiring.

Cheers for the recommendation Lozza!

Well, it sounds like we're going into it with our eyes open, at least.

918272-e16648c8-47fa-11e5-ba64-b40512aab75c.jpg

Grub, I tells ya.
You will barracking for him to crunch the opposition in round 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have an issue with him playing.
I don't get it .
What makes him a different person if he is just coaching ?
He would be doing what Vossy used to do out on the ground , directing traffic .
We have so missed that .
He would be an onfield leader for our young boys .
Open your mind Skoob , look for the positives .

Much like most; thought he was a dickhead. Same with Fev; major dickhead. Neither I thought were dirty players. I would be happy to give a dickhead a chance to change their ways, but for me, Hodge contravenes the spirit of the game in a way I haven't seen a Lion of the last 20 years do.

Anyway, I'll try not to harp on it, I've made my point. At this moment, I can't even see myself cheering a Hodge goal. I'll have to work on reconciling things over the summer if it goes ahead and I'm to get enjoyment out of it all. I'm sure today's feelings are mostly knee-jerk and I'll be able to find a level of 'meh'.
I always thought Robbo was good value, bit of a kamikaze , but likeable and hard worker , just burnt the footy at crucial times for the Blues. pretty wrapped when he came here and have the same feeling with Hodge only on more levels.
look at the positives skoob, plenty here.

Luke Hodge sought advice from Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson over possible move to Lions
Rebecca Williams, Herald Sun
an hour ago
Subscriber only
LUKE Hodge admits he has been drawn to an offer from the Brisbane Lions to continue his decorated career by the prospect of stepping into a greater mentoring and coaching role with young players.

The Hawthorn premiership star is weighing up an approach from the Lions to put retirement plans on hold and extend his 305-game AFL career beyond 2017.

Hodge, 33, would be reunited with Lions coach and long-time Hawks football boss Chris Fagan if he makes the move.

The four-time premiership star said he would “not rush” into a decision about a potential move north that would see him join former teammates Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis in finishing their careers away from Hawthorn.

TIGER TIME? 29 REASONS THEY MADE IT THIS FAR

FREE AGENTS: WHO’S LEFT ON THE TABLE?

2de6ea5b16a84b6bf9fb0e66da212b1e

Luke Hodge of the Hawks celebrates during the 2017 AFL round 23

Hodge said he still had as much passion as ever for playing and said his interest in coaching and mentoring young players had been sparked in 2016.

“I actually loved playing last year more than 2016 and a lot of people might say ‘Why is that?’. We finished in the top-four in 2016 and last year was a different phase and it made me grow into the coaching side of things,’’ Hodge told a Grand Final luncheon.

“Last year Hawthorn people know we had a lot of injuries, we had (Grant) Birchall out for the season, (Ben) Stratton out for most of the season and same with (James) Frawley.

“I was playing down back with (Jack) Gunston who played three games as a defender, I had (Ryan) Burton, (James) Sicily, (Blake) Hardwick and (Kaiden) Brand, a couple of 19 and 20 year olds and a 22 year old.

“And I loved it because you sit there teaching young kids what I have been able to learn across my journey.

“It’s nothing that I have taken for granted ... I loved last year coaching the kids.

“Fages’ when we got talking, ‘Fages’ goes, ‘That’s all we want from you, you’re not coming up to be the best player’, he goes ‘You’re coming up there to be a mentor for these young defenders’.

b4836110b731fbfacada8d864661e6ec

Luke Hodge has spoken with Clarko about his possible move to Brisbane
“I guess that was something that appealed to me considering my love for last year so much.’’

Hodge said his initial thought after the Lions’ approach was he couldn’t “leave Hawthorn”, but he realised his passion for the game was still enough to be potentially drawn back to the field.

“My initial thought was I can’t leave Hawthorn, I walked into that place as a 17-year-old kid, I’ve loved the place, still do,’’ Hodge said.

“I thought the way it finished off at Hawthorn I couldn’t dream for a better finish to walk out of the place like that.

“But ... football is a massive passion of mine, I love football as much now as I did when I was five or when I was 17 and I walked into the Hawthorn Football Club.’’

Hodge said he had been urged to take the “emotion” out of any decision about his future by his own mentors, who he has discussed the move with, including Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson.

“Clarko said you’ve got a month to make a decision, he goes ‘Take the emotion out of your decision because if your emotion is stuck in the decision you are going to be staying at Hawthorn and you will never want to do anything else’,’’ Hodge said.

“He said ‘You need to make the best decision that is right for your family, the best decision that is right for you moving forward as far as do you want to coach, your personal development moving forward. He goes ‘If anything it’s a nice adventure for your family if you go through with it’.

“The tractions that are there as far as the deal getting done, is probably a two or three, I’ve still got to get Paul (Connors) my manager to go through all that.

“We’re not rushing into it. We’ve got a little bit of time.’’

Anyhow, if Hodge does don the maroon and gold I expect him to dish it out, however I do not expect him to whine and whinge when it's dished out to him. Two players notorious for dishing it out but turning pussy when it’s returned are Hodge and Harvey. Harvey thank god has disappeared from the scene but Hodge will need to be Lionized.

Just LOL.

Hope he can bring something to the club and help educate the players. It's clear he's got a lot too offer as a leader and mentor, and he was always more suited to coaching (IMO) than any media gig.

I'm wishing him all the best.

Anyway while I am on for a yarn , Leigh Mathews had a reputation for being a bit of a thug as a player .(sorry Ceebee my story seems part of yours)
Not to mention our best and fairest award has the name Merrett attached to it who was know as the AFLs most notorious "hitman" at his time at Essendon. Bulldog Murray.........tough as nails never shirked an issue.

I think one n all we should embrace this exciting news.......we have virtually hijacked the GF today with SEN talking of nothing much else than the Hodgey COUP. Lets face it we haven't had many good news stories of recent years so lets get behind him and welcome Hodgey aboard. The players I am sure are all very excited as Captain Dayne has indicated so why not the entire club get excited.

Last edited:
Waiting for Zorko to say "we don't need players like Hodge coming up here just like we didn't need a priority pick"

Hahaha ;)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-09-28/zorko-excited-by-possible-hodge-addition

THE POSSIBLE addition of Hawthorn legend Luke Hodge to the Brisbane Lions' backline would fill a "need" while aiding the development of promising full-back Harris Andrews, star midfielder Dayne Zorko says.

Lions football manager David Noble has put his club's interest in the four-time premiership Hawk on the record, with Hodge's close relationship with Chris Fagan playing a key role in any possible deal.

Hodge, 33, retired at the end of the season after 305 matches.

Zorko told reporters at the Footy Festival in Yarra Park on Thursday that the possible move, which would likely see Hodge transition to coaching after his playing career finished, would be a boon for the Lions.

"I believe it's more … helping to become a coach later on in his career, which is perfect and something that we need," Zorko said.

"We need a little bit more experience down in our backline. Harris Andrews did a fantastic job this year, but I reckon it would be great if someone like Luke Hodge was able to come to the club and help with his development as well in the leadership space."

Zorko admitted he wasn't across a lot of the details of the proposed move.

"It's all pretty fresh really, isn't it? We don't know a hell of a lot about the situation at all, but it's exciting that someone like Luke Hodge is interested in coming to our football club," he said.

With trade rumours swirling around the Lions' No. 2 selection from 2015, Josh Schache, Zorko said he expected the key forward to stay in Brisbane.

Schache ended months of speculation by penning a two-year deal in June, but talk surrounding a move back to Victoria is rife after he skipped the NEAFL grand final and returned home to Seymour.

"Absolutely (Schache will stay). He's a contracted player at our club," Zorko said.

"He's enjoying himself on holidays at the moment like everyone else, so hopefully he comes back refreshed and ready to get into next year."

Only real downside I can see is how often we'll be told by Bruce & co just how great he was at that other club & just how greatfull,we should feel having him agree to come out of retirement to teach us all about footy! Shut up Bruce, you've ruined next season already!!!
No , he will be too busy stalking Dusty .

Remove this Banner Ad

News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back