News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

What was your initial reaction to Robbo Skoob?
Much like most; thought he was a dickhead. Same with Fev; major dickhead. Neither I thought were dirty players. I would be happy to give a dickhead a chance to change their ways, but for me, Hodge contravenes the spirit of the game in a way I haven't seen a Lion of the last 20 years do.

Anyway, I'll try not to harp on it, I've made my point. At this moment, I can't even see myself cheering a Hodge goal. I'll have to work on reconciling things over the summer if it goes ahead and I'm to get enjoyment out of it all. I'm sure today's feelings are mostly knee-jerk and I'll be able to find a level of 'meh'.

Anyhow, if Hodge does don the maroon and gold I expect him to dish it out, however I do not expect him to whine and whinge when it's dished out to him. Two players notorious for dishing it out but turning pussy when it’s returned are Hodge and Harvey. Harvey thank god has disappeared from the scene but Hodge will need to be Lionized.

Loving these posts from supposedly lions fans. "Won't be cheering if he kicks a goal", "Hodge is a pussy", "Dirty dog acts", "Is a dickhead".

You keyboard warriors should pull your heads in.

Hodge is a legend of the game and had a couple of minor indescretions, no worse than most, except he's got a profile so it's magnified.

The guy is one of the greats of the game and even if he's only half the player he was, his insight and development of the young guys will be massive for us. Basically like having another coach on the field.

Played 19 / 22 games this season; some decent outings across half back :thumbsu:

dot.gif
29 disps (21 kicks 8 hballs), 9 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 21 27-pt win over North Melbourne at UTAS Stadium (13 Aug 2017)
dot.gif
23 disps (16 kicks 7 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 19 6-pt win over Sydney at the MCG (28 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
23 disps (15 kicks 8 hballs), 8 marks and a goal in Rd 17 3-pt loss to Geelong at the MCG (15 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
27 disps (18 kicks 9 hballs) and 12 marks in Rd 15 24-pt win over Collingwood at the MCG (2 Jul 2017)
dot.gif
27 disps (17 kicks 10 hballs) and 5 marks in Rd 11 51-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (1 Jun 2017)
dot.gif
24 disps (19 kicks 5 hballs) and 8 marks in Rd 10 6-pt win over Sydney at the SCG (26 May 2017)
dot.gif
20 disps (17 kicks 3 hballs), 9 marks and 7 tackles in Rd 8 38-pt win over Brisbane at UTAS Stadium (13 May 2017)
dot.gif
26 disps (13 kicks 13 hballs), 5 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 7 3-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (7 May 2017)
dot.gif
29 disps (18 kicks 11 hballs) and 9 marks in Rd 6 75-pt loss to St Kilda at UTAS Stadium (29 Apr 2017)
dot.gif
35 disps (21 kicks 14 hballs), 5 marks and 5 tackles in Rd 4 86-pt loss to Geelong at the MCG (17 Apr 2017)

Stats don't paint the full picture but he can still find the ball and play. Was never quick to begin with being a fatty so nothing really lost there. The area where his decline has been most obvious is his penetration in his kicking (which was once elite). He's definitely lost a few yards there which in turn has probably affected his accuracy. Can't really bend over to pick up the ball anymore either which explains the soccer kicks.

Despite that the reason you are getting him 100% is his leadership on field and there is no one better in the league than Hodge in that regard. If he does go on to play for you guys I wish him all the best.

10-15 games with him on your case will be valuable to all your young defenders/midfielders. It's obvious how much of the development of our young defenders can be attributed to Hodge in a year. Went from nobodies to best 22 locks in the course of three months.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the issue is character I am surprised you don't have an issue with both.

But the point about Matthews stands, he was far from clean on or off the field and now he is the messiah.
There are messiahs and there are naughty boys. He'll probably start off as a naughty boy and work his way toward messiah status.

But the point about Matthews stands, he was far from clean on or off the field and now he is the messiah.
Hodge brings us three premierships and I will pray to him because he will be exulted to Deity status.

Heh, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Many blokes are different on and off the field. It's his playing I don't like. Same as Matthews, his grubbiness became worse the older he got, mostly out of frustration at being beaten. That didn't change his knowledge of the game and strategy/tactics. I have no issue with drawing on his knowledge and skills in a coaching capacity. I have no problem separating the 2 roles.

Heh, I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. Many blokes are different on and off the field. It's his playing I don't like. Same as Matthews, his grubbiness became worse the older he got, mostly out of frustration at being beaten. That didn't change his knowledge of the game and strategy/tactics. I have no issue with drawing on his knowledge and skills in a coaching capacity. I have no problem separating the 2 roles.
No it doesn't change his knowledge of the game. But Gavin Crosisca probably disagrees.

But I agree Hodge has also been. ... questionable at times.

But it's ok that was then, this is now.

Ill paint you the full picture of where Hodgey is at from a Hawks perspective.
Firstly, i have no issue with him going up there and helping your kids out. Just the way the game is now.
Re his form, he will be top 10 in Hawks B+F this year. he was one of our most consistent players all year.
He is the reason we beat Adelaide in Adelaide. He can still have big impact on footy games.
but this is a bonus if it happens for you guys.
Look at Burton, hardwick, Brand, Howe. Hodge is the main reason these kids are at the level they were towards the end of the year.

He will be an awesome pick up for you guys, and considering i go with my mrs to all the brisbane games in Melbourne, i actually have a great reason to go now...other than being a great fiancee haha

and to those referring to him as a dog...there is a common theme (other than the flags) between Brisbane 2001-2004 and Hawthorn 2012-2015.
Ill let you work it out.

Anyhow, if Hodge does don the maroon and gold I expect him to dish it out, however I do not expect him to whine and whinge when it's dished out to him. Two players notorious for dishing it out but turning pussy when it’s returned are Hodge and Harvey. Harvey thank god has disappeared from the scene but Hodge will need to be Lionized.

name anytime he has ever 'turned pussy' when getting it back. cops as good as he gets.

Ill paint you the full picture of where Hodgey is at from a Hawks perspective.
Firstly, i have no issue with him going up there and helping your kids out. Just the way the game is now.
Re his form, he will be top 10 in Hawks B+F this year. he was one of our most consistent players all year.
He is the reason we beat Adelaide in Adelaide. He can still have big impact on footy games.
but this is a bonus if it happens for you guys.
Look at Burton, hardwick, Brand, Howe. Hodge is the main reason these kids are at the level they were towards the end of the year.

He will be an awesome pick up for you guys, and considering i go with my mrs to all the brisbane games in Melbourne, i actually have a great reason to go now...other than being a great fiancee haha

and to those referring to him as a dog...there is a common theme (other than the flags) between Brisbane 2001-2004 and Hawthorn 2012-2015.
Ill let you work it out.

Are you worried about those kids regressing without Hodgey out there?

Remove this Banner Ad

News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back