News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Great news.
Will add some much needed grunt and experience to our young list.
Imagine the moment Witho, Berry, Cox, Hugh, Robbo & co first get introduced to the great man.
As many have mentioned before, it will enable us to have an on-field coach and a person who knows whats required to be great (not just good).
He would also help with developing our future leaders as well as the retention of players.

Wouldn't be surprised if he wears 51. Or even 16.
16 definitely fitting, another tough as nails country boy from the geelong falcons. 16 has to be his

I agree - even if he doesn't play upto standards he provides depth and brings great habits.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hartung would be better than Bell, Frost and dare I say it, Bewick, combined and they are currently clogging our list. I think that part of the attraction of getting Hodge is to also see who that move also brings to the club, both while he is playing and then when coaching. Hodge will add greater credibility to our football department and hopefully that will work against the 'go home' factor among new recruits.

Last edited:
blynd_freddie - "HARTUNG! Of course! I wish I had thought of that!"
Poor decision making, poor disposal and just doesn’t win enough contested ball - way too much of an outside player for my liking.

Sure he has pace but it seems your awkward love for ‘whipping boys’ is governing any clear thinking! :eek: ;)

Poor decision making, poor disposal and just doesn’t win enough contested ball - way too much of an outside player for my liking.

Sure he has pace but it seems your awkward love for ‘whipping boys’ is governing any clear thinking! :eek: ;)

But the force of my awkward love power rehabilitated Ryan "he's not AFL standard" Lester this season. I think we could make Hartung work.

But the force of my awkward love power rehabilitated Ryan "he's not AFL standard" Lester this season. I think we could make Hartung work.
Problem is, can't have the whole team in rehabilitation. :p

I am obviously in the minority being underwhelmed by this 'development'. The bloke is a ****ing cheating grub, and I thought was pretty ordinary in his final season. At times, his skill level was bordering on drunk. There's a reason he retired.
There is obviously merit in having him here to develop our guys as a coach, but I really don't want a bar of him running around getting cheap kicks in our jumper.
Did I mention that he's a cheating ****ing grub?

I am obviously in the minority being underwhelmed by this 'development'. The bloke is a ******* cheating grub, and I thought was pretty ordinary in his final season. At times, his skill level was bordering on drunk. There's a reason he retired.
There is obviously merit in having him here to develop our guys as a coach, but I really don't want a bar of him running around getting cheap kicks in our jumper.
Did I mention that he's a cheating ******* grub?
So........who got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. Mr Grumpy me thinks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So........who got out of bed on the wrong side this morning. Mr Grumpy me thinks
Nah, I'm always grumpy, both sides of my bed wrong. I just can't stand the bloke. I don't like the way he plays, particularly the last few years and that's without considering how worn out he is. His skills have declined and I should mention, he's a cheating grub.

Can't say I'm overly rapt at the prospect of a 34-35 year old Hodge on the playing field for the Lions for the next two years (if media reports are correct in about Hodge signing a two year contract). There was a good reason he 'retired' as a player from Hawthorn, apart from not wanting to take the "spot of a younger guy and as a senior bloke I would never want to do that...".

Having said that would have been very ok with Hodge taking a coaching role at the Lions and there will obviously be some of that for him at the Lions.

I am obviously in the minority being underwhelmed by this 'development'. The bloke is a ******* cheating grub, and I thought was pretty ordinary in his final season. At times, his skill level was bordering on drunk. There's a reason he retired.
Did I mention that he's a cheating ******* grub?
Cheater, grub, drunk. We have been crying out for development in our young player for years and he is the perfect fit for our teams current needs.

No way just saw this.
I'm stoked , haven't even read whether he's playing or coaching , going back to the article now to read past the first line or was Lion. Ha Ha.

As a backline general he'll take a huge load off Harris's 20yo shoulders, and generally accelerate the development of our kids. He's slowed down a fair bit but his smarts and experience hasn't.

One of our goals this year was to regain some respect from the league. With lots of hard work and the development of our young group and the addition of some of the best draft picks and Hodge could result in a very respectful 2018.
This if it happens ( Hodgey coming here) will be good for the membership drive for next year as well.
27,000 plus.
When do we open the finals thread.;)

I was a bit iffy on him until I saw that video posted of his talk on the field.

That's an something that you genuinely don't get to bring into your club very often.

The knowledge he'll give our young players will be worth the list spot we give up for him 10 times over. If he has signed a 2 year contract worst case scenario he chills in the NEAFL in 2019. Still immensely valuable.

And then we get his coaching.

I'm so excited.

Can't say I'm overly rapt at the prospect of a 34-35 year old Hodge on the playing field for the Lions for the next two years (if media reports are correct in about Hodge signing a two year contract). There was a good reason he 'retired' as a player from Hawthorn, apart from not wanting to take the "spot of a younger guy and as a senior bloke I would never want to do that...".

Having said that would have been very ok with Hodge taking a coaching role at the Lions and there will obviously be some of that for him at the Lions.

I don't think the two year deal would definitely be playing. IIRC Mitchell signed a 3 year deal with the Eagles on the understanding he'd retire at some stage and go into coaching.

Remove this Banner Ad

News The good bloke cometh - Luke Hodge to Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back