Veteran 10k Posts
May 9, 2005
London, UK
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Drummoyne Dirty Reds
The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast

This whole issue of drugs in AFL, and of West Coast supposedly being the worst offenders, is a total beat-up.

Rumour and innuendo are no substitute for real evidence, but that hasn't stopped commentators from inflating this issue at every opportunity.

The Footy Show interview with West Coast chairman Dalton Gooding was presented as some kind of massive expose - maybe I missed it, but was anything actually revealed?

Gooding basically admitted their had been some discipline problems at the club, before saying the club wouldn't tolerate any more stuff-ups and that illicit drugs were unacceptable. What was the big revelation here? What else was he going to say? You'd get the same line on drugs and discipline from every chairman in the league.

This whole saga is marked as a beat-up by the complete lack of real information. I'm yet to see a shred of evidence that there is a "drug problem" in the AFL, or at West Coast or any other club.

Notice the way Hutchison kept referring to "a perception back East" that West Coast had a drug problem. That perception was emphasised because Hutchison had no actual evidence to use as a starting point for his questions. A perception - that's what's driving this beat-up.

I love the way commentators use "anecdotal evidence" to build their case. What does that phrase mean in this context? Rumour? Hearsay? In most reporting, that would not be sufficient to drive a story - but in this issue, that's considered a smoking gun.

Craig Hutchison spuriously linked Cousins getting locked up and Kerr assaulting a taxi driver with a supposed drug problem at West Coast. How does that work? Were drugs a factor in either incident?

Then there's the Fletcher incident. If anyone knows what happened in Las Vegas, then let's hear it. It's unsound to just assume it was a drug overdose in the absence of any real information?

Like I said - show me the evidence. Don't just recite unsubstantiated rumours or point to incidents that had nothing to do with drugs.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Ben Cousins or any other player does or doesn't ingest in a nightclub. I have no interested whatsoever in this half-baked soap opera that surrounds players' off-field activities. The public appetite for this stuff mystifies me.

I thought most people follow football because they like the spectacle and the contest. Players will be judged on what they do on-field - and rightly so. Why is there such interest in everything else?

That said, the way this story about the "drug problem" has been manufactured needs to be pointed out.

People should demand some facts instead of just lapping up innuendo that feeds their dislike of the Eagles.

Re: The Great Beat-Up: The Drug Problem at West Coast

exactly. well said by gunnar. there hasnt been any solid proof of any drug abuse at wce yet the victorian media are making dangerous allegations against the premiers. to those media outlets out there, show the proof of any sort of drug abuse at wce.

This whole issue of drugs in AFL, and of West Coast supposedly being the worst offenders, is a total beat-up.

Rumour and innuendo are no substitute for real evidence, but that hasn't stopped commentators from inflating this issue at every opportunity.

The Footy Show interview with West Coast chairman Dalton Gooding was presented as some kind of massive expose - maybe I missed it, but was anything actually revealed?

Gooding basically admitted their had been some discipline problems at the club, before saying the club wouldn't tolerate any more stuff-ups and that illicit drugs were unacceptable. What was the big revelation here? What else was he going to say? You'd get the same line on drugs and discipline from every chairman in the league.

This whole saga is marked as a beat-up by the complete lack of real information. I'm yet to see a shred of evidence that there is a "drug problem" in the AFL, or at West Coast or any other club.

Notice the way Hutchison kept referring to "a perception back East" that West Coast had a drug problem. That perception was emphasised because Hutchison had no actual evidence to use as a starting point for his questions. A perception - that's what's driving this beat-up.

I love the way commentators use "anecdotal evidence" to build their case. What does that phrase mean in this context? Rumour? Hearsay? In most reporting, that would not be sufficient to drive a story - but in this issue, that's considered a smoking gun.

Craig Hutchison spuriously linked Cousins getting locked up and Kerr assaulting a taxi driver with a supposed drug problem at West Coast. How does that work? Were drugs a factor in either incident?

Then there's the Fletcher incident. If anyone knows what happened in Las Vegas, then let's hear it. It's unsound to just assume it was a drug overdose in the absence of any real information?

Like I said - show me the evidence. Don't just recite unsubstantiated rumours or point to incidents that had nothing to do with drugs.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what Ben Cousins or any other player does or doesn't ingest in a nightclub. I have no interested whatsoever in this half-baked soap opera that surrounds players' off-field activities. The public appetite for this stuff mystifies me.

I thought most people follow football because they like the spectacle and the contest. Players will be judged on what they do on-field - and rightly so. Why is there such interest in everything else?

That said, the way this story about the "drug problem" has been manufactured needs to be pointed out.

People should demand some facts instead of just lapping up innuendo that feeds their dislike of the Eagles.

The cheersquad obviously isnt happy about the boys racking up in the sheds.

Cheer up son...i'm sure Chad's non episode was just a bad curry.

• Banned

The cheersquad obviously isnt happy about the boys racking up in the sheds.
The reality is that I couldn't care less if West Coast players take drugs. Especially during the off-season.

You know why I don't care? Because I'm not a moronic wowser freaking out over this media-conjured spectre of drug-addled football players leading our children astray.

NEWSFLASH: Some young men take drugs. Do they all automatically have "drug problems"?

So even if it was proven that Fletcher was high as a kite in Vegas, I wouldn't be too upset. It was the off-season. Good luck to him, but he should be more careful.

What is annoying me is the way this story has been patched together from scraps of unsubstantiated rumour.

Show me the evidence. That's all I'm asking.

Until then, stop pretending that what's been reported so far is proof of anything.

• Banned

The Nile.
I've said it already - show me the evidence.

I don't think you can accuse me of being in denial when no evidence has actually been presnted.

In reality, the media and the public - particularly in Victoria - are so desperate to inflate these half-baked smears against West Coast that they'll swallow anything, even it's totally unproven.

Hutchy wasn't happy with the answers on the Fletcher incident, so I fully expect we will hear more on that one.
Oooh Hutchy - he's so hardcore.

That crap about Hutchison being a newsbreaker and a great investigative journalist made me laugh and spew at the same time.

You'd think John Pilger had made an appearance.

Bloody hell Gunna, what do you expect?

The media is there to report AND make news. It sells ads.

...and until WCE players stop making fools of themselves in public, the speculation will continue.

If you don't keep blowing smoke, the media won't go looking for the fire.

I think a lot of media are toking this issue up the nose without any evidence. I reckon GL is right to have a crack at the media and ice this issue early. Its crystal clear that the media are having a ball. But where theres smoke theres a bong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think you can accuse me of being in denial when no evidence has actually been presnted.

In reality, the media and the public - particularly in Victoria - are so desperate to inflate these half-baked smears against West Coast that they'll swallow anything, even it's totally unproven.

Err, didn't Dalton Gooding admit to there being a drug issue at the club? :rolleyes:

Oooh Hutchy - he's so hardcore.

That crap about Hutchison being a newsbreaker and a great investigative journalist made me laugh and spew at the same time.

You'd think John Pilger had made an appearance.

NOW thats a great newsbreaker/investigative journalist. Hutchy is a poor mans Tim Gossage.

Bloody hell Gunna, what do you expect?

The media is there to report AND make news. It sells ads.
I expect a degree of substantiation before stories are reported.

I'm a journalist - I do this everyday. You can't just report something you heard because it's interesting.

And if the media fail in that regard, then it needs to be pointed out.

Maybe I'm asking too much for the public to actually know a beat-up when they see one.

Keep telling yourself there is no problem and one day you might actually believe it. :rolleyes:
I'm not telling myself anything.

I just want to see some evidence.

This story is being pushed hard, but what's it based on?

My position of actually wanting to see some evidence is far more sound than your position of just swallowing anything that feeds your existing suspicions.

If people really did have sources Gunnar, do you really think they'd risk it all just to prove someone on bigfooty wrong?

I doubt it.

The reality is that I couldn't care less if West Coast players take drugs. Especially during the off-season.

You know why I don't care? Because I'm not a moronic wowser freaking out over this media-conjured spectre of drug-addled football players leading our children astray.

nahhh...u only care enuff to write a thesis of dribble defending something u dont care about.

u obviously dont care about it at all...and no way do u come across as a moronic wowser...relax.

All u are doing is saying that its all just a beat up coz the world is just one giant troll against the weagles...and u think of yourself as a bit of a saviiour and the only bloke willing to defend their integrity.

No probs :thumbsu: ...personally i think Chad was stoopid for risking the curry.

If people really did have sources Gunnar, do you really think they'd risk it all just to prove someone on bigfooty wrong?

I doubt it.
Are you talking about journalists?

If they had sources they'd use them because that's what their job entails.

It's got nothing to do with proving someone on BigFooty wrong.

I expect a degree of substantiation before stories are reported.

I'm a journalist - I do this everyday. You can't just report something you heard because it's interesting.
And if the media fail in that regard, then it needs to be pointed out.

Maybe I'm asking too much for the public to actually know a beat-up when they see one.

Of course you can...and do...or mask it as opinion pieces.
If they think they have been libelled they will sue...

Are you talking about journalists?

If they had sources they'd use them because that's what their job entails.

It's got nothing to do with proving someone on BigFooty wrong.
I'm talking about people on here, you're telling people to rpove a point here but why would someone do just that and ruin their rep with their supplier?

No point in getting into serious discussion and blowing things up just to prove a "poster" wrong.

I've got no doubt there are some AFL that use rec. drugs.

No doubt, why should I blow them up or anyone else?

People can believe others or not, I dont think they'd care though.

nahhh...u only care enuff to write a thesis of dribble defending something u dont care about.
Beat-ups need to be pointed out, and it frustrates me the way people just swallow stories that feed their biases.

All u are doing is saying that its all just a beat up coz the world is just one giant troll against the weagles...and u think of yourself as a bit of a saviiour and the only bloke willing to defend their integrity.
Do you think it is unreasonable for me to want to see some real evidence before concluding that West Coast is in the grip of a "drug problem"?

What's wrong with that?

Of course you can...and do...or mask it as opinion pieces.
The whole idea of journalism is to source information.

If I want to read stuff that's totally unsubstantiated, I'll read New Weekly.

Guys like Craig Hutchison are meant to be these big newsbreakers - how about finding some evidence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back