The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Black Skinhead got taken down pretty quick, you can see them at NBC website but its blocked in Australia so yo have to proxy.

Actually that excited for the new Ye album, both songs go ham. #praiseyeezus

Very interested to hear Yeezus (****ing lol at that title btw). A huge Kanye fan and even it isn't another album for me to pump all the time, something completely out of left field is something I can greatly appreciate. And having heard Black Skinhead and New Slaves, sounds like the album will be just that.

Those of you into your UK hip hop probably know about this bloke, but everybody else should get to know too. Seriously talented.

Melanin 9 - Organised Democracy

White Russian ft Roc Marciano

Cosmos

Dark Matter ft Cyrus Malachi & Masikah (Triple Darkness)

3 of my fav Aussies together, with K21 who I hadn't heard of before but will have to look into.

Vents kills it - first time I've ever seen my man Prime overshadowed on a track or cipher.

New El-P and Killer Mike EP coming out shortly

Also, new Mr MFN Exquire mixtape can be downloaded here: http://www.audiomack.com/album/mr-mutha****in-exquire/kismet

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Umm...what? Masta ace was in melbourne? and i didnt even ****ing know about it. exact same thing happened a few years ago when he was here with premo (!!!) and the beatnuts. fml

Im too mad to find a gif to express my anger

Q.
I'm sure almost everyone agrees Nas- Illmatic is one of the greatest Rap albums ever. But does anyone rate any of his other albums?

There is the occasional other track I rate- Shootouts, Message, Get down, Made you look and a few others. But after a couple of listens to each of the following albums I have always been so disappointed I have never bothered with them again.

Am I missing something?

Q.
I'm sure almost everyone agrees Nas- Illmatic is one of the greatest Rap albums ever. But does anyone rate any of his other albums?

There is the occasional other track I rate- Shootouts, Message, Get down, Made you look and a few others. But after a couple of listens to each of the following albums I have always been so disappointed I have never bothered with them again.

Am I missing something?
Stillmatic is the other album I would say is close to being as good as Illmatic.

Q.

Am I missing something?

He's had a few shockers (Nastradamus is about as bad as it gets) but all in all I reckon the rest of Nas' discography is a tad underrated and definitely suffers from being compared to Illmatic.

I rate It Was Written pretty highly although it is admittedly inconsistent, The Message, I Gave You Power, Take it in Blood, Live fellow Rap and If I Ruled the World are really great songs. As mentioned Stillmatic is a top album - has classic tracks like Ether, Got Urself A..., One Mic, Rewind, 2nd Childhood etc.

The Lost Tapes isn't often acknowledged but this is a seriously good album, almost his 2nd best, and I would heavily recommend giving it a try. Also like various songs from his other albums, Dance on God's Son is close to my favourite Nas song.

Haven't actually listened to some of his newer stuff, I hear Untitled and Life is Good are okay.

I guess apart from Illmatic (which is my favourite album ever) he tends to put together inconsistent albums but the good songs are still ****ing good.

Bores me, overly 90s, don't like his rapping (Not that I like any particular style).

Never really like Pac either.

We can agree on Pac. I've never found his lyrical ability to be anything fantastic, won't deny the influence he's had on the genre though.

Illmatic on the other hand is a bonafide classic. Not sure about the 'overly 90s' comment, most great hiphop is from the 90s tbh.

We can agree on Pac. I've never found his lyrical ability to be anything fantastic, won't deny the influence he's had on the genre though.

Illmatic on the other hand is a bonafide classic. Not sure about the 'overly 90s' comment, most great hiphop is from the 90s tbh.

Most 90s hip hop has aged poorly as well IMO.

I'm not one for praising artists I don't really care for just because of influence though :p

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back