The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the thoughts on Nas. I will give some of the tracks mentioned another go.

I was thinking of starting a conversation on Unfashionable music thoughts (sacrilege) , and then I saw the above couple of posts has already ventured there.

I'll kick off by saying.

1. I think most of Nas's output is rubbish.
2. Ready to Die is hugely over rated. Biggie Smalls only released a few decent songs over his whole career
3. Tupac wouldn't make my top 100 MC's . Generally terrible, the only song I've ever liked was 'hit em up'. (* edit - and California love is ok, but that was only because of Dre's production)

Anyone else want to admit to thoughts that are hip hop sacrilege ?

Wu Tang are about the only classic 90s (Or classic at all) that I normally bother time with, and even then nowadays its in the Wugazi form.

ie Pac, Biggie, Dre, NWA, Run DMC, Nas, ATCQ, eminem, etc etc... Doesn't have to do with 'mainstream' either, just a legit 'meh' most of the time.

I only enjoy Bone Thugz from that period/style really, and I blame my brother for that more than anything.

On a quick listening of Yeezus I rate the first 4 tracks 7/10, the rest of the album 4/10. A bit disappointed but it might grow on me yet.

On a quick listening of Yeezus I rate the first 4 tracks 7/10, the rest of the album 4/10. A bit disappointed but it might grow on me yet.
I'm a bit the opposite. Like certain tracks from the first half the mostly the second half.

Blood on the Leaves and Bound 2 are classic Kanye. I also really like Hold My Liquor.

Overall it's disappointing, I agree. Lyrics aren't his strongest, a couple of the songs are genuinely bad (first song), it's very choppy and some of the sounds are just loud and obnoxious.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I realise music is a very subjective thing, but basically every comment on this page is absolute shit.*

Biggie made a couple of good songs in his entire career? :eek:
The only 90's hip hop I bother with is Wu Tang? :eek:

****ing slap yourselves.

*Except for the Kanye comments. Now there's a guy who has only made a couple of good songs in his career.

I realise music is a very subjective thing, but basically every comment on this page is absolute shit.*

Biggie made a couple of good songs in his entire career? :eek:
The only 90's hip hop I bother with is Wu Tang? :eek:

******* slap yourselves.

*Except for the Kanye comments. Now there's a guy who has only made a couple of good songs in his career.

Juggaknots>Most 90s stuff

You've slightly redeemed yourself. Juggaknots are awesome. There is so much stuff from the early to mid 90's that got buried under all the people who were actually incredibly successful. It is a literal hip hop treasure trove. There's a reason it's called the golden era of hip hop.

Dagless

Not a fan of 90s Outkast, Mobb Deep, The Roots, De La Soul?

Nah. Can't rightly say why, they just don't engage me.

In order of who I actually would choose to listen to from the 90s

Dr Octagon/Keith - Mike Ladd - Juggaknots - Rubberoom/The Opus - DJ Shadow/Krush - Wu Tang - Doom - Company Flow

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back