The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Earl Sweatshirt - Doris leaked on the weekend too. Haven't given it a proper listen yet.

Yeah got it straight away once I heard it leaked, actually really like it. Nowhere near Earl but it is nowhere near a bad album. There isn't a song I don't like but nothing other then Hive and Chum there also isn't anything amazing. Vince Staples goes hard on it though all the features are good although Mac Miller reminded me why I always get enraged whenever I see or hear him. Guy is trash.

Wu Tang are about the only classic 90s (Or classic at all) that I normally bother time with, and even then nowadays its in the Wugazi form. .

Love Wu Tang (especially GZA - liquid swords is siiiiiiiick). Biggie is always good to go back to. Never really liked Pac.

This is more reference to post #175: What about Gang Starr? He's right up there. Big L? KRS-One? Big Pun (later 90's I know so maybe you'd class him out of that era?) Plenty of 90's that are still worth bumping IMO.

Love Wu Tang (especially GZA - liquid swords is siiiiiiiick). Biggie is always good to go back to. Never really liked Pac.

This is more reference to post #175: What about Gang Starr? He's right up there. Big L? KRS-One? Big Pun (later 90's I know so maybe you'd class him out of that era?) Plenty of 90's that are still worth bumping IMO.

I was simply referring to that names that just roll off the tongue whenever someone mentions the 90's.

There is a tonne of 90's I love.

Love GZA/Genius... Probs the best of the Wu Tang Clan.

Anyone who hasn't tried out Young Fathers is just... missing... out...

Hip hop with too many qualities to count. A bit of world, a bit of soul, a bit of lo-fi, a bit of raggae. Easily the best pair of tapes released this year. It isn't about dexterity, but the word play is magnificent in the blend as a whole. Both tapes are just too short....

(Can't not love that hook)

Haven't been this enamoured with a new group in a while...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

^ No love for Cypress Hill?
Truthfully - love their stuff but never got into them as much as other artists -even though I was blazing away at the time haha. I don't mind their new stuff with La Coka Nostra. and DJ Muggz is still ripping shit up - love the way he can still capture that old sound without making it sound shit.

Speaking of Muggz - He did an album with GZA called Grandmasters. Sounds really sweet and I find he captures that awesome "strings and drum" sound that RZA/wu tang were well known for.

Few samples:

That last track is niiiiiice - "this is hip hop"

Gang Starr aint a 'he'. It's Primo and Guru, and yeah they were dope as ****. Big L is one of the best lyricists of all time, KRS I could never really get into, Big Pun had one classic (Capital Punishment) but I feel his beat selection was never terrific.

Has anyone ever heard Binary Star's 'Masters of the Universe'? One of the best hiphop albums of all time imo.

Gang Starr aint a 'he'. It's Primo and Guru, and yeah they were dope as ****. Big L is one of the best lyricists of all time, KRS I could never really get into, Big Pun had one classic (Capital Punishment) but I feel his beat selection was never terrific.

Has anyone ever heard Binary Star's 'Masters of the Universe'? One of the best hiphop albums of all time imo.

Ahhh well you learn something new everyday - always thought gang starr was the rapper and primo/guru just produced haha. cheers. I didn't mind Puns beats - I tend to like the evilish/simple beats - because the lyricisym is where it's at ;). Speaking of bad beat selection - Canibus has to be waaaay up there - kid could spit fire but production was severely lacking. But I love his shit because he gets that minds eye open and working.

Ahhh well you learn something new everyday - always thought gang starr was the rapper and primo/guru just produced haha. cheers. I didn't mind Puns beats - I tend to like the evilish/simple beats - because the lyricisym is where it's at ;). Speaking of bad beat selection - Canibus has to be waaaay up there - kid could spit fire but production was severely lacking. But I love his shit because he gets that minds eye open and working.

Yep I can't even listen to Canibus, gotta be one of the biggest wasted talents that has ever lived. Just needed to team up and work with a producer and he would've been fine but his ego got in the way of everything. Got in the way of his lyricism as well, I think he thought he was a little smarter than he really was and sometimes his scientific tangents etc made little sense. But yeah some of his verses/songs are just fire, e.g. Poet Laureate, Beast from the East

BTW anyone around here get into the battle rap scene? like KOTD (king of the dot), grindtime etc? if not there's some real good stuff out there to listen/watch.

Grindtime etc is okay but nothing beats Scribble Jam, man there were some sick battles that went on, shattered it got discontinued. Much prefer battles with a beat behind them, more thinking on your feet instead of who's written the best lines before the show.

Chino XL anyone? Early shit was dope - then disappeared for a while and came back with some awesome shiz:

Have to really listen to this on your own and really focus to appreciate it:

Wordplay is amazing:

Banging beat - Biggie ;)

New stuff remixed with big pun...siiiiick as:

You love lyricisym? you love Chino!

Yep I can't even listen to Canibus, gotta be one of the biggest wasted talents that has ever lived. Just needed to team up and work with a producer and he would've been fine but his ego got in the way of everything. Got in the way of his lyricism as well, I think he thought he was a little smarter than he really was and sometimes his scientific tangents etc made little sense. But yeah some of his verses/songs are just fire, e.g. Poet Laureate, Beast from the East

Grindtime etc is okay but nothing beats Scribble Jam, man there were some sick battles that went on, shattered it got discontinued. Much prefer battles with a beat behind them, more thinking on your feet instead of who's written the best lines before the show.

Yeah definitely wasted - have you happened to come across the KOTD battle where he takes on Dizaster (world title holder at the time) and choked and pulled out his notepad. Sad day for Bus fans that day haha.

If not:

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back