The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Gubbz, thank you for posting Chino XL.

I've heard of him before, but never actually listened to his stuff until today, thanks to your post.

**** there's some brilliant stuff there! Gonna go search for more of his stuff! :D

Hah no problems mate. He's up there as one of my favourite artists. Very metaphorical and his punch lines are sweet. I find that I like him so much is because even if you have listened to a track 100 times you will always pull out new stuff from his lyrics. He's crazy.

Can't remember seeing much Lowkey posted before. Got hold of his album a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

So who else has listened to Better Off Dead. Gave it a listen on the way to/from Uni today and got to say and got to say its solid the whole way through the 19 tracks. Best mixtape I've heard this year especially on the production side of it.

Got to say loving Amerikkan Pie, Bliss, Death, Death 2, Drug Parade, TP4, MRAZ the most but I've only listened through 3 times.

Finally got around to listening to Emancipator's new album from earlier this year. It's really good, especially this track.

Finally got around to listening to Emancipator's new album from earlier this year. It's really good, especially this track.

Too much like second release, wasn't quite the ste[p up like release 1 to 2 was.

Too much like second release, wasn't quite the ste[p up like release 1 to 2 was.

You're a hard marker my friend.

I've been listening solid for a couple of days now and while it may not be breaking new ground it's a pretty solid continuation of 'Cliffs'. At least he hasn't gone backwards anyway.

Easily my favourite of the hiphop instrumental artists you put me onto (out of him, Blockhead, DJ Frane and Fat Jon).

Btw I devoted an acid trip to the four of them a couple of months ago and f**k me if they aren't made for that shit. Mind-blowing stuff. I swear DJ Frane was on it when he wrote Electric Garden.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this as a comedown track:

You're a hard marker my friend.

I've been listening solid for a couple of days now and while it may not be breaking new ground it's a pretty solid continuation of 'Cliffs'. At least he hasn't gone backwards anyway.

Easily my favourite of the hiphop instrumental artists you put me onto (out of him, Blockhead, DJ Frane and Fat Jon).

Btw I devoted an acid trip to the four of them a couple of months ago and f**k me if they aren't made for that shit. Mind-blowing stuff. I swear DJ Frane was on it when he wrote Electric Garden.

Speaking of which, I highly recommend this as a comedown track:

Don't know if you have it yet, but 'Fat Jon as Maurice Galactica - Rapture Kontrolle' came out last year.

It instantly became my favourite Fat Jon album ;) So damn space-funky.

But yeah, it's not a bad album perse, but it feels too much like a continuation of Cliffs when Cliffs was a healthy change from Soon It Will Be...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know if you have it yet, but 'Fat Jon as Maurice Galactica - Rapture Kontrolle' came out last year.

It instantly became my favourite Fat Jon album ;) So damn space-funky.

Yeah I've had a listen, it's about a 50/50 for me. I liked Cultured Night, Prowess, Divided Ascension, Intellect Bombs and Magic Flute, but the rest didn't do anything for me.

All up I preferred Wave Motion and Lightweight Heavy, but there's probably a bit of nostalgia involved there because I had those two on high rotation on my ipod while I was island hopping around Indonesia a couple of years ago.

Drakes new album was leaked yesterday. Hmm... sort of disappointed.

Tuscan Leather – 7.5/10. Bit overkill with background music, still good song.
Furthest Thing – 2/10. Rubbish.
Started from the Bottom – 9/10. Heard it a million times.
Wu Tang Clan – 6.5/10 – "It's yours" sounds so horrible. Needs to re record it.
Own It – 6/10. I like 10% of the song, from 3:30 onwards.
Worst Behavior – 2/10. Rapping sucks, instrumental sucks.
From Time – 6.5/10. Pretty chilled.
HOWGH – 5/10. Heard it ages ago and wasn't impressed.
Connect – 5/10. Meh.
The Lanuage – 4/10. Birdman nuff said.
305 to my City – 4.5/10. What the **** is going on with this album.
Too Much – 5.5/10. Who is Sampa? Meh.
Pound Cake/Paris Morton Music – 3.5/10. Didn't enjoy a second of it.
Come Thru – 8.5/10. Finally I am enjoying a song. Love the change up 2:50.
All Me – 6/10. Heard is a while ago, okay.
The Motion – 4/10. Doesn't do anything for me.

Grimey Melbourne Rap. No pretence, no bling.

Grimey is the perfect description for Tornts.

I love his sound, though there's a couple of vids where he pushes it too far and looks a bit too try hard 'chav' with his 'hardcore' mates (Poison and No One). Coincidentally enough they happen to be his shittest tracks imo.

There's a fine line between 'don't give a f**k' and 'I'm really trying hard to look look like I don't give a f**k". Some might call it the Dane Swan effect.

Really like his genuinely raw shit though.

Half of the 'Poison' clip was filmed in the bar i manage, i really like the 'No One' track though, Lol. Tornts and the Hired Goons lads drink in the bar quite often. Good blokes.

I had a feeling that you knew him.

Different strokes for different folks.

For sure. They're the only two tracks of his I don't like, love the rest of his stuff.

Purchased Oddisee's new album, The Beauty In All

Awesome, awesome instrumental beats. Also added in a mixtape Tangible Dream with the purchase, in which he spits over the beats. He's pretty all right in that department as well. Very good release.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back