The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

MMLP2 surely deserves a thread

Rap God is possibly the best lyrical song of the last 5 years?

Not even close. Why are people blown away by this track? It's mostly filler... Most of the lyrics are garbage and Em only switches into fast flow for select parts.

You must have slept on World Wide Choppers. Surely.

Loved Eminem from Infinite until now, but it's only because he is a pop icon that this track is getting recognition. There are other underground and independent rappers that base their art on technical rhyming. Guys like Tech N9ne have been doing this for years.

MMLP2 surely deserves a thread

Rap God is possibly the best lyrical song of the last 5 years?

That's gotta be one of the most dick riding comments I've ever read.\

Anyway, new Hopsin track.. still dissing people haha. love it

Anyone who hasn't tried out Young Fathers is just... missing... out...

Hip hop with too many qualities to count. A bit of world, a bit of soul, a bit of lo-fi, a bit of raggae. Easily the best pair of tapes released this year. It isn't about dexterity, but the word play is magnificent in the blend as a whole. Both tapes are just too short....

(Can't not love that hook)

Haven't been this enamoured with a new group in a while...

Faaarrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk first full length LP being released next February...

I must be one of very few who isn't really looking forward to MMLP2, never really been a fan of Eminem and Berzerk and Rap God aren't that great. Rap God the most lyrical song in the last 5 years, god no.

Anyway heres 5 songs that I've been bumping lately.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be one of very few who isn't really looking forward to MMLP2, never really been a fan of Eminem and Berzerk and Rap God aren't that great. Rap God the most lyrical song in the last 5 years, god no.

Anyway heres 5 songs that I've been bumping lately.

Agreed on everything. Never really got Eminem and not seeing what's all that incredible about his two new ones. I think it's just I've never been a fan of his. Same with Jay-Z, Weezy and Drake. Just have never really got it with any of them.

Nosatalgia is probably my track of the year so far. Up there certainly. That instrumental is just awesome. Loving Flatbush Zombies as well.

Same with Jay-Z, Weezy and Drake. Just have never really got it with any of them.

I really like Drake, think he should rap more then he does as I don't think he is that great of a RnB singer. Not a massive fan of Hov, I've never really disliked any of his releases but I've never loved any either other then Watch the Throne. Never saw the appeal of Weezy.

Been listening to Danny Brown - Old quite a lot lately, and hearing some of it on JJJ a bit too. It's fairly different than XXX, some of it is way more traditional hip hop, but other parts of it are more electronic than he's done previously.

^Really? Bit of a meh song if I'm being honest. So many better songs on the album - Verbal Intercourse is probably of my all time favourites. What draws it to you specifically?

The whole album is amazing but I love this track for its soul. The beat is slow as hell, I think it's around 75bpm or something, which is ridiculous. And it just loops over and over with only one or two cuts through the whole track.

I love that, man. The hypnotic repetitiveness. It fits perfectly into the arc of the albums narrative as the conclusion along with North Star. The whole album they are moving onto bigger and better things and when it gets to Heaven & Hell, they've made it, but it's a double edged sword- You ain’t even promised tomorrow Son, word up/Niggaz don’t understand how life can be so short.

The whole vibe of the track just really resonates with me.

MMLP2 was leaked a couple of days ago and the bonus tracks were leaked today. Listening to the album for the first time and scanning through all the tracks, I didn't really like the sound of it. But shit, I've been listening to it non-stop and all the songs have grown on me massively. Kills recovery and encore.

I'll rank them.

Bad guy: 8/10. Genius. What an opening. Re-does 'Stan' in the last verse.

Rhyme or Reason 7.5/10: He uses 'The Zombies - time of the season' as the instrumental and shit it goes hard. One of my favourite songs on the album thus far. Awesome flow, lyrics and wordplay.

So Much Better 8/10. Lyrically insane with an amazing flow. Kind of sounds like it would fit on The Eminem Show.

Survival 4/10 - Good flow, can't really take it seriously with the lyrics etc due to it being for COD.

Legacy 8.5/10 - WOW. Just wow. Real and Deep.

arseh*le 5.5/10 - Meh, average.

Berzerk 5/10 - Different, but not a fan.

Rap God 8/10 - Definitely one of the best songs on the album, a lyrical gem with wordplay from out of this world.

Brainless 8/10 - Hard as **** flow, dope as hell. Potentially one of the best songs on the album. I'd say lyrically good but I'm probably starting to sound like a broken record - they're all well done lyrically.

Stronger than I was 3/10 - Eminem singing for 4 minutes? Not for me. Kind of cliche and corny.

The Monster - 6/10 - Pretty good.

So Far... - 7/10 Good song. Flowing over a guitar matches well. Also very well done lyrically.

Love Game 4.5/10 - Very odd. Hopefully it will grow on me.

Headlights 8.5/10 - Goosebumps. A song where he passes on his apologies to his Mum. Truly touching and heartfelt, a big contrast from Cleanin' Out My Closet :D

Evil Twin - 9/10 - Just listen to it. ****ing awesome.

Haven't heard enough of the bonus tracks to assess them.

Did not expect Headlights at all

Take out Survival, Berzerk and Stronger Than I Was and add the four bonus tracks and I would almost have it edging near TES, but I guess that's cheating.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Hip Hop Thread - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back