The Jill Meagher case: please read notice in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
surely this sort of crime and result happens at least weekly in australia? I just don't get why this case gets all of the attention, pretty cruel on the other victims if you ask me, gone and forgotten.

The answer apparently is almost always yelling for help. People cooperate thinking it'll minimise risk, but you just want to make as much noise as possible.

A 100Db personal alarm that can't be switched off would quickly draw attention and scare off an assailant.

surely this sort of crime and result happens at least weekly in australia? I just don't get why this case gets all of the attention, pretty cruel on the other victims if you ask me, gone and forgotten.
Yeah, unfortunately the media/interest isn't there to cover every single crime. The world works like this, there's no point decrying it.

If every missing person got this coverage, people would complain about other people not getting the limelight.

It's sad that people go missing. Nobody wants that. But this case has gotten the attention, whatever that's due to. Publicly stating that JM doesn't deserve this is a bit disrespectful in its own right.

So, generally speaking, how many chances should a violent offender get? One? Two? 22? 115?

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/so...sh-to-judge-on-sentencing-20110517-1erae.html

Those that think that violent offenders should be given many chances to re-enter society, that convicted criminals should always be given the chance to rehabilitate, are, in part, responsible for many violent crimes that could have been avoided, including that committed against Jill Meagher.

I think it's fair to assume that this case will be the catalyst for those laws to modernize.
With regards to sub judice, probably. With regards to adequate sentencing for violent crime, probably not.

5 mins from a major Australian CBD? I bet it doesn't. I doubt many women in Australia are kidnapped, r*ped and murdered by a complete stranger. What is it, 90-95% of all females murdered are done so by someone they know? There was a LOT of press about Brendan Keilar's murder in 2007. Some cases get a lot of coverage, some don't. For anyone to suggest that the current case deserves minimal coverage is ludicrous.

1 chance - but if your first court appearance was for something like multiple rapes, then you've already had it.
I guess there's always the possibility of a he said, she said, maybe once, at a stretch, maybe twice. But hypothetically speaking, let's say you had over 20 convictions for something like, say rape, of course speaking hypothetically again, I'm guessing they can't all be explained away and at least one or two were aggravated.

Just my opinion, which obviously not all agree with as the study I quoted above proves, but I do think some people are a menace to society, evil and beyond rehabilitation, and should receive CONSECUTIVE sentences, not CONCURRENT (or SUSPENDED) sentences. The classic example is New York's Son of Sam killer David Berkowitz, who will be freed from prison, once he serves his sentence of 365 YEARS.

5 mins from a major Australian CBD? I bet it doesn't. I doubt many women in Australia are kidnapped, r*ped and murdered by a complete stranger. What is it, 90-95% of all females murdered are done so by someone they know? There was a LOT of press about Brendan Keilar's murder in 2007. Some cases get a lot of coverage, some don't. For anyone to suggest that the current case deserves minimal coverage is ludicrous.

This is probably why serial killers tend to target prostitutes and people on the fringe of society (migrants/drug users/homeless people) that won't be missed and whose disappearances won't be publicised and be prioritised as homicides by law enforcement.

A lot more of these people go missing than what people realise.

The fact that this case happened to be that of a good looking, educated, professional white woman with a POD (being Irish) meant that this case received a relatively unbelievable amount of publicity and probably a whole heap more resources than might otherwise have been employed.

surely this sort of crime and result happens at least weekly in australia?

Absolutely not. It's not South Africa. A random attack, rape and murder on city street with high foot traffic is not a common occurance. As others have pointed out, she was doing something that most people have done often - just walking home after drinks. She was not involved in drugs, or a prostitute or involved in any high risk activity that often leads to murder.

ok my bad don't really know the whole story, try to avoid hysteria style media, working night shift doesn't help either.

And as a fitting end to this thread, this moving account of Jill Meagher's funeral was in today's Age.

Such a horrible crime, such an amazing public reaction.

On another note: a new Crime Board will be open for business on Big Footy soon.

Thank you to all that participated.

'Beautiful funny girl' farewelled in colourful ceremony

gal_jill-620x414.jpg

Jill Meagher's funeral was an extraordinary event. Only the Irish could celebrate like this. There was deep sadness, of course, for the 29-year-old who was r*ped and murdered two weeks ago. A deep, jarring sadness. But there was also music, dancing and hilarity to match her joy for life.

Her father George McKeon was inconsolable during the service at a tiny chapel inside Fawkner Cemetery to which only a small gathering of friends, family and ABC radio colleagues were invited.

He wailed during his eulogy, reading an old letter his daughter had written to him and Jill's mother Edith McKeon. It read, in part, "it is hard to be apart because I care for you so deeply". She wrote that to him and this morning, in memory of her, he said: "Goodbye Gillian. Goodbye."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back