Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

The ear was under the butchers table and the flock were pretty uncomfortable in the opening sermon. First viewing easy to think it was because someone had died, but maybe it was more than that with what we now know.

I was thinking the ear was a leftover from a previous meal but I accept it wasn't. How does Ellie know they were eating people rather than chopping bits off for torture purposes?

It's possible the flock did suspect what they were eating but didn't want to know. It's hard to imagine a choice between starving to death and eating human flesh. There have been real examples of that scenario happening over the years. Perhaps it's easier if someone tells you it's venison and you can pretend.

I was thinking the ear was a leftover from a previous meal but I accept it wasn't. How does Ellie know they were eating people rather than chopping bits off for torture purposes?

It's possible the flock did suspect what they were eating but didn't want to know. It's hard to imagine a choice between starving to death and eating human flesh. There have been real examples of that scenario happening over the years. Perhaps it's easier if someone tells you it's venison and you can pretend.

Reckon it's a pretty safe guess if you're being held in a kitchen area and there's bits of people left over and this village that's supposedly starving has a decent supply of meat.

They definitely suspected. Look at the looks from the cooks when they're given a bunch of meat before they drag in the deer. "It's venison" they're told but they don't believe it.

I'm not sure either way on whether they suspected they were eating human meat. I'm just saying I don't think:
David goes from preacher leading his flock, doing what it takes to help them survive - to slapping girls around for little reason. So then we know he's evil, right?
I think there's enough in the opening scene to believe that his flock were potentially scared of him. I don't think him slapping the girl was the first time his true colours shone through.

I'm not sure either way on whether they suspected they were eating human meat. I'm just saying I don't think:

I think there's enough in the opening scene to believe that his flock were potentially scared of him. I don't think him slapping the girl was the first time his true colours shone through.

Agree, it's just the first time we see it. It's a brilliantly crafted episode with hints of foreboding with him seeping through until the climax. I just don't get the read that there's clumsy, easy outs to help the plot along.

No worries. Part of good writing for a one hour self-contained episode is leaving some unanswered questions.

This episode was the most 'Walking Dead' the show has been all season. It was fine, but I'm a little disappointed in the themes the show has ended up focusing on after what it teased so early on.

Very pulpy episode all in all.

This episode was the most 'Walking Dead' the show has been all season. It was fine, but I'm a little disappointed in the themes the show has ended up focusing on after what it teased so early on.

Very pulpy episode all in all.

There's been a healthy amount of deeper and more action oriented episodes IMO.

There's been a healthy amount of deeper and more action oriented episodes IMO.
It's definitely not nearly as much of a slog as TWD. Much tighter and better paced. Idk, I was really on board early but now I just feel like the show is following well established tropes of the genre.

This episode clearly resonated with a lot of people here so it certainly looks like it scratches an itch for many, but maybe the reputation of the game preceded it too much for me, I was expecting more.

In the first couple of episodes I was really feeling like the show was going to be a bit more politically nuanced. It felt like it was setting up a critique of Bush-era American culture and the war on terror, but it kind of abandoned that theme after the third episode.

I'm more confused why they weren't eating the ear? I find it's perhaps the tastiest part of the human body.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well in the first two episodes we had all this build up about the fascist government that was seen as the 'big bad' and then we've not really had any mention of them since.

Well in the first two episodes we had all this build up about the fascist government that was seen as the 'big bad' and then we've not really had any mention of them since.
Presumably because they've ventured out away from where they started?

Can imagine a government having to start quite small in those situations - create a stronghold and probably then try and work their way out further.

I much prefer the condensed format of this show over TWD. It does mean they have to take shortcuts with the plot at times. Like they gave Ellie a human ear in her food - oops! So then she knows they are cannibals whereas the villagers don't. David goes from preacher leading his flock, doing what it takes to help them survive - to slapping girls around for little reason. So then we know he's evil, right? David barely knows Ellie but instantly wants her to run the settlement with him. But put it all together and it makes for a great episode.
Think its pretty clear that would be far from the first time he's slapped someone around or otherwise behaved a bit psycho. Just from the first few minutes cold open I felt that his flock were more scared of him than respectful.

Last edited:
Presumably because they've ventured out away from where they started?

Can imagine a government having to start quite small in those situations - create a stronghold and probably then try and work their way out further.
From a thematic standpoint it feels a bit underwritten. What is the show actually trying to say with Fedra? It seemed like they were going to be thematically important early but the show quickly moved on from its critiques of the military. Feels a bit wasted to be honest.

I've found most of the shows villains to be pretty two-dimensional. Ultimately this episode absolved Joel of his murderous violence by making the villains cannibals with a pedo for a leader. They were more interesting antagonists when they were just another group trying to survive who felt aggrieved by the death of one of their own.

In the first couple of episodes I was really feeling like the show was going to be a bit more politically nuanced. It felt like it was setting up a critique of Bush-era American culture and the war on terror, but it kind of abandoned that theme after the third episode.
Thank god lol

Definitely not what the game or show is about thematically.

Thats just in keeping with the game, they were never a big part of it after the initial stages in the Boston QZ.

With the Kansas City revolution stuff, we've actually gotten more of FEDRA in the show than we did in the game.

From a thematic standpoint it feels a bit underwritten. What is the show actually trying to say with Fedra? It seemed like they were going to be thematically important early but the show quickly moved on from its critiques of the military. Feels a bit wasted to be honest.
I understand the local chapters of FEDRA etc - but I find the lack of government control odd. Either returning to a Stateist model or Federally - I would have expected after 20 years that a return to (some) normality might have occurred.
I've found most of the shows villains to be pretty two-dimensional. Ultimately this episode absolved Joel of his murderous violence by making the villains cannibals with a pedo for a leader. They were more interesting antagonists when they were just another group trying to survive who felt aggrieved by the death of one of their own.
But that wasnt Joels motivation - he didnt know who they were (though Ellie might have said something) - it was kill or be killed

I understand the local chapters of FEDRA etc - but I find the lack of government control odd. Either returning to a Stateist model or Federally - I would have expected after 20 years that a return to (some) normality might have occurred.

But that wasnt Joels motivation - he didnt know who they were (though Ellie might have said something) - it was kill or be killed
That's true but I think it could have hit harder if David didn't turn out to be a horrible monster.

Remove this Banner Ad

Streaming The Last of Us (HBO)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back