The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome, sounds like you have an awesome collection. The biggest I have I think is the original Taj Mahal, which I thought was too repetitive and got a bit tedious towards the end. The modern big builds I think are better, I think I'd enjoy Titanic.
Thank you very much CP!
Titanic was great. I do have a light set for it but it does mean taking it apart to get that all working so I’ve left it for now. If you build one large set soon make it this one. It was around 46 bags but amazing. It’s solid too.
Taj Mahal yeah can be repetitive one colour. What I found interesting on the second edition creator set was the base. I couldn’t lift it without it splitting down the middle. I had to place a board under it.
Eiffel Tower did my head in. Impressive though that a build can be that big/high.

Here it is! Heard it's a stunning build and when David Jones are selling it for 20% off with bonus points you sort of have to shell out the $279...

PXL_20240630_061107166.jpg

34 bags! Albeit some are very small at the end. Insert joke here about no flame pieces visible in the bags

PXL_20240630_062020978.jpg

I look forward to building it in parts like the actual original Notre Dame. Arguably the world's most famous cathedral wasn't built in a day, and this Lego one will certainly take several.

PXL_20240630_062522712.jpg

In 2063 it will celebrate its 900th anniversary. Maybe I should make it a goal to revisit Paris then...

I was in Paris on a Sunday evening and sat for a service at the Notre-Dame. The place has a real spirituality about it. The 2 solo singers and choir were stunning.

Agreed - the place transcends being a mere cathedral. Have now been there twice - I consider myself fortunate.

I had a similar experience at Sagrada Familia - another one that is a must buy if it ever came out in Lego format.

Bags 1 to 3 below...

PXL_20240630_064731063.jpg PXL_20240630_070452721.jpg PXL_20240630_075550399.MP.jpg

The most important thing is whether Lego is nailing the key aspects and in this respect so far it definitely is. Intricate floor pattern woven into the pillars and the curve for the eastern end of the cathedral, complete with clear window pieces, is excellent. Yes, repetitive but I won't mark the set down for that because the real life building is the same. Beautifully executed and I'm not 10% of the way to completion yet...

Bags 4 to 6 focus on interior detail of the oldest part of the cathedral...

PXL_20240701_023222125.jpg

The famous 'Porte Rouge' (red door, duh) which I think Lego has done a good job in recreating in a tiny format (feel free to browse the pictures of the real thing on the internet) - note also the columns behind which eventually support the first level.

PXL_20240701_024336288.jpg PXL_20240701_031900557.jpg

Great use of various techniques to flesh out the curves and angles. Although of course tedious and finicky at times (building the same small structure to fit in the between the windows 13 times, for example), it was never too boring and it's fulfilling seeing the build up of the cathedral.

As a side note, I've also been doing the best I can to hide the obvious mould injection points. With this many tiny pieces they invariably are distracting. It's similar to many modern sets where Lego apparently have not been letting the plastic cool for as long a period as before, and it results in more rougher surfaces. I won't hold it against the set - but I do hold it against Lego. Cost cutting, I suppose...

You make an interesting point regarding the mould injection blemishes on modern pieces. I find some of these quite noticeable now, and never used to. I find I have to line up similar pieces (eg some Technic beams) so that the smooth surfaces are showing. Not good from Lego, especially given the price premium between themselves and the generic brands. I wondered why this had crept in, I didn't realise it was a cooling issue, thanks for explaining that.

Our sets come from the Chinese factory which is relatively new (and I guess is also why we don't see paper bags yet) - I wonder if they have more modern and efficient machines which introduce these flaws?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bags 7 to 9 bringing out more of the eastern end...

PXL_20240702_065624057.jpg PXL_20240702_072958306.jpg PXL_20240702_080843695.jpg

This is just a stunning build, let's be honest. Admire the flying buttresses, arches and lines - just do it. If there is one (small) nitpick, the upper balcony is not continuous which leads to weird gaps in the floor and railings. Although unfortunately a lot of the interior does get built over, the roof is detachable and it allows you to peer into the majority of it. I suspect that under the right lighting (that is, sunny), the clear window pieces would illuminate the interior, because there are plenty of them around the outside on both levels.

I haven't even finished the smallest part of Notre Dame yet! The iconic dual towers and spire are still a long way down the track. What is clear though is that it has a chance of becoming a favourite build of mine if the first 9 bags are any indication.

Bags 7 to 9 bringing out more of the eastern end...

View attachment 2036877View attachment 2036878View attachment 2036879

This is just a stunning build, let's be honest. Admire the flying buttresses, arches and lines - just do it. If there is one (small) nitpick, the upper balcony is not continuous which leads to weird gaps in the floor and railings. Although unfortunately a lot of the interior does get built over, the roof is detachable and it allows you to peer into the majority of it. I suspect that under the right lighting (that is, sunny), the clear window pieces would illuminate the interior, because there are plenty of them around the outside on both levels.

I haven't even finished the smallest part of Notre Dame yet! The iconic dual towers and spire are still a long way down the track. What is clear though is that it has a chance of becoming a favourite build of mine if the first 9 bags are any indication.
I was on the fence with this one, very glad to have it now thanks to your review :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back