The Lego Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Bags 19 to 21 and it starts soaring...

PXL_20240706_051208789.jpg PXL_20240706_053207630.jpg PXL_20240706_060545175.jpg

Fun fact - the gargoygles on the roof of the cathedral served not only decorative purposes, but were also designed to channel water from the roof which is the intent of those tiny pipe pieces you see in the last picture. The repetition does get boring I must admit, but it's worth it. Looks great even though I'm not even two thirds in. I suspect that this is the last of the ultra-repetitive portions (x14 flying buttresses with about six finicky pieces anyone?) so hopefully the last 13 bags are a good experience! I think I'll get it finished within 3 days.

Bags 22 to 24 to take my mind off yet another insipid Eagles game...

PXL_20240707_032958959.jpg PXL_20240707_043842740.jpg PXL_20240707_045519673.jpg

Interrupting my usual programming of 1 pic per bag with a depiction of the much-documented star wands being used to flesh out decorative elements on the outside of the belltowers. I liked it - although of course slightly finicky having to work in a confined space to plug them in the right angles and the initial thought is that it takes away from the authenticity of the model. However, as you can see in subsequent pics it blends in and breaks up the monotony of the exterior design. The only small quibble is it does mean, due to being human, that the wand angles can never be perfect (unless I suppose you want to spend hours making sure they line up at right angles to each other).

PXL_20240707_050548781.jpg PXL_20240707_050617401.jpg

And here is what I mean. Excellent again as various building techniques (and unique pieces) are used to build it towards the sky. Apart from the star wands, I haven't encountered any other unusual pieces and importantly they are used effectively with simple but elegant solutions to the key aspects of Notre Dame. Cannot wait until I finish, maybe if the Eagles keep sucking I will knock it off (which means I'll finish it today, am I right?!?!?)

By request, here are a few more (bags 25 to 28)...

PXL_20240707_072423780.jpg PXL_20240707_072434472.jpg

The roof gets (mostly) completed - I took these pictures to show how easy it is to remove - only six small yellow studs holding it in place but it fits well, so no complaints there. Fairly standard stuff.

PXL_20240707_073754707.MP.jpg PXL_20240707_081817849.jpg

The next 3 bags are entirely about one section of the belltowers. Yes, also repetitive building the same thing 8 times (with millions of those little black cheese wedge pieces) but it was actually decent enough to do as you see the techniques used to build around that central core and it wasn't as particular or require fine motor skills like the 40 star wands. The last 6 bags are quite small so I suspect I'll finish tomorrow. Yay! So far an outstanding build.

Certified Stores offering $150 GC with purchase of Gringotts, Barad-dur or Ferrari SP3. If you're hankering for these, that's not a bad offer. I personally wouldn't recommend the SP3, I didn't think it offered anything the previous Lambo didn't, and doesn't look as good.

Rumours that a new Technic supercar, this time a McLaren, is coming later this year.

Currently building 42181 (Technic VTOL Space Cargo Ship), which I got in the Big W sale for less than $100 after discounts/points. Pleasantly surprised by the size and intricacy of this at the price point. Not sure if there are any other Technicheads here, but if so, this one's good value.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And it ends as we flesh out the external decorations.

PXL_20240708_022348227.jpg PXL_20240708_051159951.jpg PXL_20240709_031450842.jpg

Fun fact: the 12 Apostles (represented by the tiny green Lego figures you see on the roof) all face out towards Paris except one - that one has the face of a chief architect of the Notre Dame, facing inwards and admiring his own work. That one is in the last bag, as the spire (the one that fell down during the recent fire) is put into place to complete the model.

PXL_20240709_031505280.jpg PXL_20240709_033110506.jpg PXL_20240709_033140021.jpg PXL_20240709_033158994.jpg

Gorgeous. As I identified before, a lot of the interior work does get covered up but it was still a great pleasure to build even if a bit finicky at times as you can imagine with a vast building intending to be represented on such a tiny scale. Not much fun building flying buttress x 14 or stained glass window x 13 but it has to be done. Still an immensely rewarding build and it elevates your coffee table or bookshelf to another level if you're into that sort of display. Essential addition to any Architecture type collection.

Pros:
  • Detail - I had doubts I must admit with a set that 'only' tops out at 40cm x 40cm x 20cm or so, but the level of detail is spot on and it was great seeing 'normal' parts used unconventionally but still working to convey what was needed
  • Build process - enjoyed learning about aspects of the cathedral as it was built over the decades, and the manual reflected how each stage was built
  • Value for money - yes I took advantage of a sale but 4000+ pieces (albeit many quite tiny) at $270 isn't bad at all

Cons:
  • Sometimes too finicky and repetitive - such a small con, though, considering the need for accuracy at this level
  • Beige, beige everywhere - it did get a bit overwhelming at times
  • Lack of flame pieces to improve accuracy of model

Overall - 9/10

And it ends as we flesh out the external decorations.

View attachment 2043436View attachment 2043437View attachment 2043438

Fun fact: the 12 Apostles (represented by the tiny green Lego figures you see on the roof) all face out towards Paris except one - that one has the face of a chief architect of the Notre Dame, facing inwards and admiring his own work. That one is in the last bag, as the spire (the one that fell down during the recent fire) is put into place to complete the model.

View attachment 2043439View attachment 2043440View attachment 2043441View attachment 2043443

Gorgeous. As I identified before, a lot of the interior work does get covered up but it was still a great pleasure to build even if a bit finicky at times as you can imagine with a vast building intending to be represented on such a tiny scale. Not much fun building flying buttress x 14 or stained glass window x 13 but it has to be done. Still an immensely rewarding build and it elevates your coffee table or bookshelf to another level if you're into that sort of display. Essential addition to any Architecture type collection.

Pros:
  • Detail - I had doubts I must admit with a set that 'only' tops out at 40cm x 40cm x 20cm or so, but the level of detail is spot on and it was great seeing 'normal' parts used unconventionally but still working to convey what was needed
  • Build process - enjoyed learning about aspects of the cathedral as it was built over the decades, and the manual reflected how each stage was built
  • Value for money - yes I took advantage of a sale but 4000+ pieces (albeit many quite tiny) at $270 isn't bad at all

Cons:
  • Sometimes too finicky and repetitive - such a small con, though, considering the need for accuracy at this level
  • Beige, beige everywhere - it did get a bit overwhelming at times
  • Lack of flame pieces to improve accuracy of model

Overall - 9/10
Brilliant review, thank you. And you even got a new coach out of it, something we can only dream about...

I don’t have either of those sets CP - ill have to check them out!
IMHO the Lambo is the pick of the four Technic Supercars. Some reviews noted inconsistencies in the lime green colour panels, but I didn't have that issue (have seen this on other sets though, so it can be an issue). I don't think it's available from Lego anymore. The Bugatti looked quite stunning in its blue colour scheme.

You might like the forthcoming McLaren. I don't think I'll get it as they're a bit samey now (and also $700).

IMHO the Lambo is the pick of the four Technic Supercars. Some reviews noted inconsistencies in the lime green colour panels, but I didn't have that issue (have seen this on other sets though, so it can be an issue). I don't think it's available from Lego anymore. The Bugatti looked quite stunning in its blue colour scheme.

You might like the forthcoming McLaren. I don't think I'll get it as they're a bit samey now (and also $700).
I just saw that P1 now. Hmm. 🤔
Pricey.
Bugatti does look nice. 😊
I’ve ran out of room. I get anymore car sets I’ll have to stack on top of each other in cases or hang vertically on the walls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back