Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

It is kinda cool because it is different, however i dont like the parting with the banner. It is something that is part of the game, tradition. No doubt it would go over better up here because many people, the ones we are trying to get to games, dont have that connection.

I guess the other part is does this relief a bit of pressure on the cheer squad. I know we've had a few issues in the past with getting people to help make the banner and hold it up. Wonder if that might have been part of the decision as well.

I understand it's for the kids but my god it looks awful.

If you're going to do it, go all out and do it properly - not a half ass blow up Lion.

This is horrible.

Uhhhhhh, I'll hold off judgement until I see how it is used. Hopefully it's not out at the 50 arc, and they're putting it against the fence. And removing the stupid flamethrower things.

But if it's the other way around, and they have to go run between a bunch of those flamey things, and then the kids, and then this half a lion... my opinion might not be as positive.

edit: that's not really holding off judgement at all. I'll hold optimistic thoughts, perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope it's a 2 sided/double headed lion. With the banner, folk sitting behind or in front, could see the thing, but if this monstrosity only has one face, what do the people behind get to see?
I sit near the players' race, so I guess we'll find out soon enough. Will get a photo of Brion's fat arse.

I think the banner is nearly obsolete as a concept now anyway. They don't show it to the crowd anymore. The players don't burst through it like they used to.

I used to love the banner tradition but it ain't what it used to be.

I think the banner is nearly obsolete as a concept now anyway. They don't show it to the crowd anymore. The players don't burst through it like they used to.

I used to love the banner tradition but it ain't what it used to be.
This is true, with the advent of the re-usable banner, we either run through a gap or push through what looks like a tent flap.
I still think that better than the jumping castle.
Maybe the players could enter the arena from level 3 and come down an inflatable slide, each wearing a lion head and paw gloves. Now that's entertainment.

WTF is this crap???

It seems like the club is trying to do everything it can to take the focus away from what is happening on the field once the game commences. I'm just hoping that this is a PR stunt by Swann like having a real live Lion before the matches.
Bit extreme. I fail to see how an inflated lion on the ground for 5 minutes will distract from 2 hours of football that then follows.

Personally I don't like it but don't see what the big deal is.

Bit extreme. I fail to see how an inflated lion on the ground for 5 minutes will distract from 2 hours of football that then follows.

Personally I don't like it but don't see what the big deal is.
I don't like it because it is a sign that the club is more interested in a side show and marketing than what actually happens on the field. We are becoming more and more like Richmond of the 1980/90s all the time. A club living off past glories and accepting mediocrity as a passable level of performance.

I don't like it because it is a sign that the club is more interested in a side show and marketing than what actually happens on the field.

No, that's you seeing what you want to see and projecting angst irrationally.

The "administration is trying a new marketing initiative... why can't they try and win a game instead" argument is the weakest cheap shot of all. The club can't just go into hibernation off the field until we make the 8.

I am not enamoured with this specific initiative by any means, but your argument against it is unfair. Do you want the marketing staff studding boots instead?

Last edited:
No, that's you seeing what you want to see and projecting angst irrationally.

The "administration is trying a new marketing initiative... why can't they try and win a game instead" argument is the weakest cheap shot of all. The club can't just go into hibernation off the field until we make the 8.

I am not enamoured with this specific initiative by any means, but your argument against it is unfair. Do you want the marketing staff studding boots instead?
As a Victorian member all I've seen down here from the club is contempt and crap. They treat us like crap and don't care. The club don't have a go at the AFL over the fixture this year which massively screwed over the Victorian fan base. A decade ago we had over 8,000 Victorian members now it is less than a quarter of that, whilst on field is some the bigger gripe is the way they treat us. Jokes of a family, terrible access to players, its no wonder people aren't renewing memberships. The club doesn't even follow up to know why.

If the club spent the same effort on trying to re-engage the Victorian fan base it would return far more money than a stunt like this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion The 'Match Day' Experience

Remove this Banner Ad

Back