The MCC are Elitist Bafoons

Remove this Banner Ad

morell

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2006
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Port Adelaide are training at the MCG today. I work within a stones throw of the ground and I thought I would wander over and have a look.

Tried to find out what time its was on from the PAFC and I got this response.

PAFC said:
Hi Morell

Unfortunately the MCC have advised us that they do not permit access for
supporters to watch training at the MCG.

Sorry we couldn't be of further help.

Thanks

It's a shame that the players have become so unreachable that you cant watch your team train these days.

I realise this is not the players or the clubs fault, and most times you can go and watch training, but fair dinkum MCC, get you head out of where the sun dont shine.

Has it always been like this? What used to happen to Melbourne when they trained at the G?

From my experience the members aren't much better.
I was able to get into the MCC members for last years grand final and a good number of them were just sidled up at the bar watching the game on TV!!!
I spoke to a few people in there at half time - most of them off their face - and enquired about what they did for a living. Mostly the answers were "Oh, I don't really work... my Dad owns a big business/property/family trust".

Why would they need to keep touch with the common man when there's no chance of the common man infiltrating their fortress of tossers.

And yes, I'm sure my experience on Grand Final day was the exception rather than the rule, but you must admit it's an image that the MCC does nothing to dispel.

tell me about it mate...

on the scoreboard of the MCG before the end of Pies vs Dee's they said patrons were PERMITTED ON THE ARENA for a kick. i was stoked, i was already to jump on waiting for the 3rd siren, then the lazy old farts that stanhd on the gate wait around like stuffed chickens..

20 mins later nothign happens, everyone's stillw aiting then on the scoreboard it says patrons not permitted on the arena at ANY TIME,,,

MCC- Tossers, tools

cussernaut said:
go back to adelaide you peasant

Exactly, I'm not a member but know a lot of members and they are just ordinary everyday football supporters like me.

You will probably find that they were not prepared to let people in to the ground without supervision because of Insurance/Liability issues.

The people that run the MCC are goat sacrificers, secret handshakers and mothball smelling would be B&D exponents if they were up to it. The general MCC membership these days is by and large the general public except that with a preponderance of Melbourne fans they are, on average, a bit soft, a lot fickle and they can’t remember names very well.

ROB48 said:
Exactly, I'm not a member but know a lot of members and they are just ordinary everyday football supporters like me.

You will probably find that they were not prepared to let people in to the ground without supervision because of Insurance/Liability issues.

Not jibing the everyday MCC members, I'm an AAMI Stadium CAT 1 member and an Adelaide Oval Member.

Its more the MCC board members for making such rules and forgetting what they are there for and who they serve.

In terms of liability, I understand that, I would be happy to undergo any security measure deemed necessary.

They allow tours there during the day, how do they get in?

i am a typical MCC member

i am a melbourne supporter

i am an accountant

i am a big cricket fan

i dont like everything the MCC does. i think they should support the MFC more. because 25% at least of MCC members go for the dees and i think they forget this. but to say that we are elitists who dont know anything about the game is stupid. especially if you have never been in the MCC. when was the last time anyone had a kick on telstra dome? the MCG is the peoples ground it may not be as much as it used to be but it still is. unless it is a closed session by the club training i am sure you could get in if you went down with a member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

morell said:
Not jibing the everyday MCC members, I'm an AAMI Stadium CAT 1 member and an Adelaide Oval Member.

Its more the MCC board members for making such rules and forgetting what they are there for and who they serve.

In terms of liability, I understand that, I would be happy to undergo any security measure deemed necessary.

They allow tours there during the day, how do they get in?

Tours are supervised so that people go to the areas that they are supposed to, just not wandering all over the ground.

The committee has to maintain safety to protect the general public and their ever increasing insurance premiums, also to protect the place from malicious damage and graffiti.

I have no love of the MCC committee just stating the facts.

if you want to kick the ball around go to the game tomorrow, they will almost certianly allow it. They do at most games involving a Vic side versus an interstate team. They can't allow it at melbourne Collingwood because there'd be 80'000 people trying to get on.

with the training thing, I'd say it's fiar because the MCG is so large there could be all sorts of security/insurance issues.

The MCC serves the MCC members, correct, so if I was an MCC member I could go and watch? I doubt it but I dont know. Thats part of the reason why I asked the original question...

If it is a security thing (most likely), than say so, so then the clubs can organise a cordened off section with a guard or something...

I dont know, its just sad I cant see my team train on the MCG. It only happens once a year and it would have been good.

I really worry about anyone who can't find something better to do than to watch football training. The MCC are doing you a favour. Go to a park and smell some roses, read a book, watch a movie, help an old lady across the street or something......but Football training?????????? .......... Whoa!!!!!!

elitist??

all u have to do to become a member is wait 15 years or so

love going to the members, having a full strength beer in the grey smith bar on level 3

then sitting out and getting stuck in once the game starts

yeah i was glad my dad put me on when i was born

got my first membership when i was 15

became a full member when i was 21 and my birthday is mid september so i got to got the the granny shame my first one was port vs the lions. but leo barry took that mark right in front of me last year it was a great day.

morell said:
Port Adelaide are training at the MCG today. I work within a stones throw of the ground and I thought I would wander over and have a look.

Tried to find out what time its was on from the PAFC and I got this response.

It's a shame that the players have become so unreachable that you cant watch your team train these days.

I realise this is not the players or the clubs fault, and most times you can go and watch training, but fair dinkum MCC, get you head out of where the sun dont shine.

Has it always been like this? What used to happen to Melbourne when they trained at the G?

How different is that to coaches who have 'closed' training sessions. Are they elitist buffons as well?

Buckley 4 Pope said:
I really worry about anyone who can't find something better to do than to watch football training. The MCC are doing you a favour. Go to a park and smell some roses, read a book, watch a movie, help an old lady across the street or something......but Football training?????????? .......... Whoa!!!!!!
Bloody hell what sort malarkey is this! He wants to wander across from his work to have a bit of gander at his team having a practice. Living in Melbourne he doesn't get to see them every week. All perfectly normal to me.

Heck if you're that concerned about him spending a bit of time on this perhaps you should consider whether your time is not better spent doing some of the activities you suggest rather than being on a footy discussion board. Off you go buddy, there must be an old lady waiting to cross the street. :cool:

morell said:
The MCC serves the MCC members, correct, so if I was an MCC member I could go and watch? I doubt it but I dont know. Thats part of the reason why I asked the original question...

If it is a security thing (most likely), than say so, so then the clubs can organise a cordened off section with a guard or something...

I dont know, its just sad I cant see my team train on the MCG. It only happens once a year and it would have been good.

Get over it buddy! Pay your $20 or whatever it costs to go to the footy these days, watch your team play and be happy if they win. It's only training for fc.uks sake!

Toots Hibbert said:
Bloody hell what sort malarkey is this! He wants to wander across from his work to have a bit of gander at his team having a practice. Living in Melbourne he doesn't get to see them every week. All perfectly normal to me.

Heck if you're that concerned about him spending a bit of time on this perhaps you should consider whether your time is not better spent doing some of the activities you suggest rather than being on a footy discussion board. Off you go buddy, there must be an old lady waiting to cross the street. :cool:

Take a tablet Toots.

I love how people always turn these sorts of threads away from what they are and into abuse of the poster.

So **** you Morell. Tough **** if you only get to see your side play a handful of times. That's what you get for being a Port supporter in Melbourne.

Ahem

Anyway, i think it's crap, but i can see why they do it, but given the amount of people that would actually want to rock up to see, surely they can just have a small section open for people to have a gander? I think it's **** anyway.

The Albert Ground in St Kilda is generally closed, but when Brisbane train there, they open it up.

Melbourne Victory are like this too. Closed training session at Olympic Park thanks to Olympic Park Trust. It bites. I feel your pain.

Remove this Banner Ad

The MCC are Elitist Bafoons

Remove this Banner Ad

Back